Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Brand new Aston Martin? 30-40K? Sold!
  • coogan
    Free Member

Bargain. Looks just like a DB9. Sort of.

Swish!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Isn’t it just a little Toyota or something with an Aston Martin badge and costing 4 times as much?

coogan
    Free Member

Pretty much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Fortunateson09
    Free Member

This angers me. Aston are selling it due to some rubbish about all car manufacturers needing to take their cars’ average CO2 levels down or some such nonsense, so all the Aston Martin Cygnets cancel out all the DB9s and AMV8s or something. But in reality, every Aston Martin ever made ever will probably have less of a combined environmental impact than every Ford Focus made in the last 2 years. Brrr.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Have you heard that Aston Martin are bringing out a lawnmower? It’s based on a Honda HF2417 HME Garden Tractor, but will retail for more than double the price of the product on which it’s based. Aston Martin will be doing this because it’s marketing people know that there are plenty of daft suckers out there who’ll gladly part with a huge premium to associate themselves wih a badge. Hilarious!

andy7t2
    Free Member

But in reality, every Aston Martin ever made ever will probably have less of a combined environmental impact than every Ford Focus made in the last 2 years

yeah but the aston’s will transport less people, try a different argument like i don’t give a flying f*** about the environment should work well on a biking forum

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can get Lamborghini tractors. No it’s true look:

matthewjb
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    You can get Lamborghini tractors

And Porsche ones

DSCN1220 by Matthewjb, on Flickr

Spongebob
    Free Member

That’d be cool, to arrive at a party and ask everyone if they want to see your Porsche.

5AM
    Free Member

Lamborghini were making tractors before they ever made a car.

robdob
    Free Member

Ferrucio Lamborghini was a very successful tractor maker and as such could afford the odd supercar. He bought a Ferrari but thought it could be improved in several ways. He went to Enzo to suggest these improvements but Enzo told him to run along, as he though his cars were perfect. So Mr Lamborghini thought he’d just build his own instead and do a better job.

johnners
    Free Member

Aston Martin will be doing this because it’s marketing people know that there are plenty of daft suckers out there who’ll gladly part with a huge premium to associate themselves wih a badge

Luckily mountain bikers are immune to such wiles.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I thought that the Aston Martin Cygnet was available only with new Aston Martins? Marketing may have pushed for the Aston badge on the bonnet and the price Is far beyond reasonable, but would you really want to see Astons on sale for £10k? Pricing it so high keeps a premium on the brand I expect it to sell in such small numbers it will become collectable. Personally if this keeps the Aston brand free to now concentrate on making beautiful and powerful sports cars, I think it’s not such a bad thing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ferrucio Lamborghini was a very successful tractor maker and as such could afford the odd supercar. He bought a Ferrari but thought it could be improved in several ways. He went to Enzo to suggest these improvements but Enzo told him to run along, as he though his cars were perfect. So Mr Lamborghini thought he’d just build his own instead and do a better job.

I thought there was a bit more to it than that..? As in Mr Ferrari wasn’t keen on a bloke that made tractors driving his cars…?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

But in reality, every Aston Martin ever made ever will probably have less of a combined environmental impact than every Ford Focus made in the last 2 years

THeres a fair point here. Its not supercars damaging the environment, its cheap mass car ownership.

cynic-al
    Free Member

More like the lack of realistic alternatives…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

…and scrappage too, typically a car will become worthless as it deteriorates with age. Scrap vehicles impact the enviroment further, not to mention the special allowances that need to be made for certain parts such as rubber and battery cells. How many of the supercar exotics get scrapped? Not many.

finbar
    Free Member

How many of the supercar exotics get scrapped? Not many.

It’s a silly comparison. How many supercar owners also own multiple other cars they do “real” mileage in. All of them i’d say.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Gordon Murrays T.25 and T.27 prototype will be the realistic alternatives.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My point being that it’s the exotic manufacturer who is being forced to make alternatives, of which the cygnet is one. The life cycle of a supercar is very different to those cars brought for mass transit. A new focus (for example) today will be scrapped at the end of it’s high milage life cycle, it’s the emissions and disposal of these vehicles that needs addressing, regardless of who owns them. Exotics are typically second/weekend cars and as said before account for very little of total emissions.

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you have one? are you planning on getting one? why do you care?

monotokpoint
    Free Member

johnners

Aston Martin will be doing this because it’s marketing people know that there are plenty of daft suckers out there who’ll gladly part with a huge premium to associate themselves wih a badge

Luckily mountain bikers are immune to such wiles.

Hehe

zokes
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

do you have one? are you planning on getting one? why do you care?

Ironic, given your obvious disdain for the topic that you cared so much to actually write that…

MrNutt
    Free Member

AAARGH! I cannot contain my indifference ANYMORE!!!

mboy
    Free Member

My mate works for Aston Martin, he’s one of many parts buyers as I understand.

When I spoke to him about the forthcoming Cygnet last year, his response was that even within Aston Martin it’s a bit of a running Joke. Primarily that new car regs are so stifling that car makers like Aston are forced to pull a silly stunt like this to bring down their overall CO2 output across the range.

Surely a better meausure would be to monitor the average CO2 output across the range, with targets for it to decrease by a certain percentage each year, rather than forcing the likes of Aston (whose cars on the whole account for a miniscule proportion of the market) to have to take a ridiculous decision to rebadge a Toyota IQ!

Still, if Aston can sell them for a ridiculous price, more fool the customer…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Ferrari beat them to it anyway, with the Ferrari 500…

http://jalopnik.com/5359889/now-introducing-the-new-ferrari-fiat-500

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I might be getting a Lambo pretty soon

My current boiler is on it’s way out

5lab

I think it actually has a place. There’s gotta be people out there who

a) have a lot of money
    b) have a house or an office in a city
    c) don’t like taking cabs

if you tick all 3 boxes this is perfect. Its not *just* badge engineering, apparently they’re completely re-trimming the interior to may it tres plush. I’d not be surprised if it ended up as a 2 seater, rather than the 3+1 the IQ is. still, as a runaround, why not? If I earned 7 figures, I’d rather sit in my own car than some grimey taxi every day..

highclimber
    Free Member

thats an expensive badge!

epicyclo

I’d have one.

I have always wanted to own a reliable Aston Martin 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I think it actually has a place. There’s gotta be people out there who

a) have a lot of money
    b) have a house or an office in a city
    c) don’t like taking cabs

I thought that was what the Toyota IQ was for anyway? Why would you NEED it to be retrimmed, rebadged, and pay 3-4x the price for it?

And if you lived in the city, or had an office there, and insisted upon your own car as opposed to public transport or cabs, then surely the Toyota Prius is the ideal car no? Seeing as the city was the environment it was designed to be most useful in as it doesn’t use any fuel if it’s travelling below 15mph, and it’s exempt from the congestion charge…

Just putting it out there like… Or are all 7 figure earners really such brand snobs they couldn’t be seen in anything with a Toyota badge? 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

AM also used to be owned by David Brown (or was it the other way around?) who also made tractors:

The initials of David Brown are where the DB part of the Aston Martin car names comes from.
    As I used to have a David Brown 850 can I safely say I once owned an Aston Martin 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That thing is minging.

I regularly see a Lambo tractor in Truro!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

David Brown purchased Aston Martin, but then it was also owned by Ford at one point… So is Mondeo man an Aston driver too he he he The DB7 shared some of the same switch gear as the early Mondeo’s. I think your tractor looks cool 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Toyota Prius is the ideal car no? Seeing as the city was the environment it was designed to be most useful in as it doesn’t use any fuel if it’s travelling below 15mph

It does. It just borrows the energy from some future time when you may or may not be on the open road and can spare it.

But yes it’s all very silly. The average CO2 figures should not really apply to car manufs who sell less than say 500 cars a year or whatever.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

In a similar vein of stupidity, this is what passes for a Lotus these days.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorshows/paris-motor-show/257698/supermini_set_to_join_lotus_lineup.html

Ewww.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Brand new Aston Martin? 30-40K? Sold!’ is closed to new replies.