Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Brambles
  • Murray

What do people use to avoid the MTB tattoo? Football shin pads? Long trousers? Cycling tights? Road riding?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seasonal routes, and a bill hook.

Drac

Put up with it.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Nothing. Just put up with it and get out there. My arms look like I’ve self harming for years 🙁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I love this time of year.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for man up.

Makes you look hard and manly

kilo

+2 for man up.

Makes you look hard and manly like you self-harm

perchypanther
    Free Member

Assume the position?

(High pitched squealing optional)

ahwiles
    Free Member

Carry some secateurs, and stop to trim back the worst.

1) Brambles don’t die back in winter, they just grow slow enough for the trail pixies to catch up.

2) we need more trail pixies

3) if we want acces to more trails, do something useful to help win the argument.

retrorick

I’ve adopted the stop and prune approach recently. It doesn’t take too long and is pretty helpful to everyone who uses the tracks. If it’s local I’ll head back with a spade or plank of wood to flatten the offending shrubs.

Simon

Man up or get busy with the secateurs

mildbore

Mountain biking is a kind of low level self harm in lots of ways, not just brambles. I too carry secateurs and a pruning saw at this time of year

muddylegs
    Free Member

My way of thinking is if your looking at an on coming bramble and thinking this might hurt a bit, your not moving fast enough..

timraven

My way of thinking is if your looking at an on coming bramble and thinking this might hurt a bit, your not moving fast enough.

+1

I wear my scratches with pride, it means I’ve actually managed to get out for a ride.

core

I too revel in coming home from a ride with my forearms in tatters, covered with congealed blood and scratches. Moar Gnar than endyoooro Shirley?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

What perchy said but I substitute a stream of swear words for the shrieking.

Del

took the dog and some secateurs for a walk this morning for an hour. came back two and a half hours later. 😐

PJay
    Free Member

timraven

Moar Gnar than endyoooro Shirley?

😆 😆

twisty

Why not just ziptie a machete to your toptube?

Murray

PJay has the best answer.

I cut back my local woods (Lotts) with a hedge trimmer but I’m not sure I’ce got time to clear the whole of the Chilterns.

FOG

My ride today consisted of lots of the Evil Trinity, brambles, nettles and gorse! My legs are twanging as I write, is there anything you can do about nettle stings or is it just down to waiting it out? The dock thing never works for me.

somafunk

In my mobile Zombie apocalypse disposal kit that i carry in my van i find the two billhook items in the centre of the pic below are quite useful in clearing brambles, every now n’ then i throw the billhooks, silky saw and rake in the duff bag and go for a spin through the woods clearing as i go.

coatesy
    Free Member

Mid-week trips with a Ryobi battery hedge trimmer here, awesome piece of kit, cleared a few previously impassable sections recently, and £3.99 secateurs from Asda in the Camelback on normal group rides. If you wait for somebody else to clear them, you’ll probably end up cut to ribbons.

Drac

The dock thing never works for me.

That’s because it’s bollocks.

Davesport

Plant a few Geocaches along the affected routes. The walkers keep the place clear for you 8)

psycorp
    Free Member

Funnily enough I spent an hour clearing 20 odd meters of seriously overgrown bridleway today. I have the nettle stings and scratches to prove it. Large folding saw did the trick.

If I’m honest clearing the trail knackered me out more than the 30 miles on the bike.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Course the other option is to get a mate to ride in front of you with bar ends…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I needed a machete on yesterday’s ‘exploratory’ ride. Bracken was well over my head, vestiges of a trail totally obscured, and near the bottom of the hill it became mixed with brambles. Seriously, if they had only a bit more tensile strength a person could get stuck in there, like barbed wire.

Used my bike to force my way through, which resulted in my LH pedal apparently being torn off by a bramble vine or something. Had to get rescued. Got some blisters on my left hand too where some kind of plant sap or something has done something.

Andy-R

Seriously, if they had only a bit more tensile strength a person could get stuck in there, like barbed wire.

Sheep can, and frequently do, get stuck in them. I’ve had to cut loads free, luckily I usually carry a folding saw.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Brambles’ is closed to new replies.