Brakes……GRRRR….recomendations please…..

Home Forum Bike Forum Brakes……GRRRR….recomendations please…..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Brakes……GRRRR….recomendations please…..
  • Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Get a pair of SLX from Rose.

You’ll never look back.

hoggyss

I run Avid Juicy 3’s myself and never had a problem

BFITH

Theyre actually not a bad price, but I can only seem to see wrong-way-round lever options ie Front brake – Left lever…or am I not looking close enough?

You swap the levers over. fairly simple to do

Shimano are great value but spares other than complete callipers or lever assemblies are not available and recently there seems to be a decrease in build quality / reliability.

Personally I would get second hand hopes for the same sort of price but many folk would consider that madness.

BFITH

You say fairly simple, but in reality, how simple? :|…any special tools etc

b r

Got a set of new Deore’s for £90 from Merlin last week for my lad; tbh at that price it beats throwing money at the Avids’

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

You say fairly simple, but in reality, how simple? :|…any special tools etc

7mm spanner innit?

(it might be an 8)

undo the screwed-in sleeve, wiggle and pull the hose out, hand it to a friend who can hold it upright so you don’t lose much oil.

repeat for the other lever, swap them over, push and wiggle a hose back in the ‘correct’ lever, screw in the sleeve, tight-but-not-too-tighht, repeat for the other hose.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

2nd hand hope, will last forever. Have some original Mono M4’s still running

titusrider

Not cheap but i have been very impressed with magura Martas

Awhiles: I am pleased to confirm, it is an 8mm.
    I shortened one of mine and change the fluid this weekend 😀
    if you are shortening them you will need one of these: clicky for each one you cut.
    plus some fluid (£5 @ halfords). and something to cut the hose with.

FWIW: if you are buying brand new, they should have the instructions plus extra olives and inserts included for shortening/swopping the hoses.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

My Hayes ryde are great, no probs, and date to ’09

BFITH

Very tempted by the SLX…might have a go at swapping the levers round….
    Will they be OK with Hayes Rotors?

BFITH

Went to put new pads in this weekend only to find 2 siezed pistons and a fair bit of corrosion….couldnt gets pistons far enough in to put new pads in….so decided to strip down. Turns out all pistons are in very poor state.
    Do I put new seals and pistons in (not cheap!) or just dump them and get new. Theyre Avid Juicy 3’s and were never that good, but not keen on forking out loads for new set of brakes, unless theres some good delas out there….

Any offers?

Mister P

8mm on hose connector, 7mm on bleed nipple.

dantsw13

I was going to get the SLX – got Deores instead for £70 for the pair from Rose!!!!

I have mates with the SLX, and XT versions. They were all tested in Morzine 3 weeks ago. Deores were superb.

Premier Icon leftyboy
    Subscriber

Hi

I had some XTs (to be fair they were 7 years old) that I couldn’t fix so I went for a set of Hope X2’s with Tech levers and 183mm rotors.

The Hope’s have been fantastic right up there with the Hope C2’s I had many years ago! I know some people say they lack power but the combination I’ve got stops my ‘larger than I liked to be’ mass with not a single issue in the last 12 months!

if you’re on a budget get some SH Hope’s or if you can stretch go for the appropriate Hope model.

All in MHO obviously! 🙂

HTH

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

I know some people say they lack power

Evo brakes meant to be much more powerful in the last round of Bikeradar tests.

Andy

BFITH

dantsw – how did the SLX get on in morzine…going my self in 2 weeks 😀

_tom_

Get a pair of SLX from Rose.

You’ll never look back.

This is what I’m doing, probably order today actually! Apparently if you like Rose Bikes on facebook you get a 10 Euros off discount code as well 🙂

I’ve got a pair of Juicy 3’s sat in the ‘box o bits’ if you wanna make a cheap offer. Think one needs a hose sorting but could be good for spares

Failing that Hope. Love my Tech M4’s to bits, quite simply stunning!

I’d have said Shimano until I got Hope Tech Evos last week.

Get Hope Tech Evos.

BFITH

Im sure the Hopes are good but a bit pricey though!….

BFITH

This is what I’m doing, probably order today actually! Apparently if you like Rose Bikes on facebook you get a 10 Euros off discount code as well

How do I do this…Wife has a FB account..Ive never really used it 😳

_tom_

I just followed this and ordered mine – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rose-bikes-voucher

full set of new SLX for £117 including postage, seems like a bargain!

BFITH

Thanks Tom….

BFITH

Got the Facebook voucher code AND another one when I subscribed to the newsletter…So if I order separately, I can get a pair of SLX brakes for just over £100!… Me Happy 😀

S/H Hope – Even new ones if you can stretch to it. Well worth it in the long term. They’ll last you for many years.

Shimano’s are good too though..actually the only manufacturer I would go out of my way to avoid is Avid – wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole. Most of the others are pretty decent.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Brakes……GRRRR….recomendations please…..’ is closed to new replies.