Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Brakes- recommendations
  • hora
    Free Member

Had my Saints for going on 6-7yrs? To be honest they've been fantastic but over time they've lost their bite- replace pads, had the pistons etc serviced then I've had a go on a couple of bikes and the brakes on those are mucho more powerful (even though they are just basic disc brakes)….which leads me to think the performance of mine has dropped off soo much that anything feels better..

Previously had Hayes9 – no modulation. Hayes Mags- brilliant and briefly Hope minis (squeeled).

Anything secure, safe-stopping power etc that you can recommend? I don't prescribe to money no object, carbon levers or bothered about having windy-knobs etc 🙂

taka
    Free Member

Shimano XT

Got mine second hand but basically new off here and they are fantastic. Got me out of some very sticky situations involving rivers, sheep and other strange things with no problem

Frankenstein
    Free Member

What are you riding? eg xc DH or AM? eg XT singles or DH twin pot.

How big are you? 😯 If you are 6ft 5 and 200kg then we can guess what size disc you might need too.

Been using XTR (overkill as XT is fine) for XC 160mm and SLX 180mm AM for 6ft2 80kg visits to Wales.
    SLX's might just be the std replacement but if you want more bite use a 180mm on the front (fork depending) and back -frame space/material spec.

Budget?

hora
    Free Member

I use a 203 rotor on the front and a 160? on the rear (old Saints).

I am very heavy- 16stone

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd. My 03 and 05 shimano brakes are as good as new.

But then I am a lightweight armchair rider LOLWTF

hora
    Free Member

Odd. My 03 and 05 shimano brakes are as good as new.

Thats just it. I have used these brakes and only these brakes for years. I only run one bike.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Were Saints beefed up LX/XT? if they were the two part mould then an upgrade to new XT with big discs might be the trick.

I have to admit only using shimano and had one sticking caliper but I could get the parts and pads almost anywhere and 2 yr warranty. Always envied Avid pad adjusters but once you have setup Shimano-never had to again unless its sticky in my case.

Assuming the shop did a good service on your old brakes as I have taken 07 LX brakes to bits, new parts and sold to mate who rides AM with 203mm up front no probs and with metal pads they stop him easily.

Best to try a riding pal's brakes on their bike and compare?
    (Saints in 95% working condition should have been fine but why waste more money on them with pads and discs)

hora
    Free Member

They are indistinct to say the least. I've considered buying new rotors, possibly replacing parts (pistons etc), pads and possibly new hoses (one is badly kinked), another rebleed… but then at what point do they become viable versus cost of neatly new XT?

Yes the early ones are slightly beefed up LX/XTs Probably bigger diameter pistons or reservoir (or even just bigger rotors?!).

brianbrian
    Free Member

Hope Tech M4 203mm on the front of my bike and can't fault them

toys19
    Free Member

Got new saints on mine, really good. Also have avid elixir on my other and they are brill too..

cookeaa

Were Saints beefed up LX/XT? if they were the two part mould then an upgrade to new XT with big discs might be the trick.

Nope they were essentially XT's in a different colour Single piece casting same pads as XT/XTR, very good brakes… Hones were basically LX in a different colour (same Pads again though)…

Why not replace your old saint with the new saints? Or mix it up a bit and have Saint 4 pot calliper front and an XT 2 pot rear, Proper meaty stopper up front, bit more control from the rear?

hora
    Free Member

Friggin expensive though now arent they? 😯

cookeaa

What Shimanos? Cheaper than Hope or Formula…

hora
    Free Member

New Saint ones- circa £300 (merlin). Cheaper elsewhere however thats for 'kit'/in bits.

Might just keep a lookout for nearly new XT's. No way Im paying anywhere near £200.

specializedneeds

Avid Elixir CR Mag £280 for both ends on Merlin, bargain 😉

nickf
    Free Member

Hope V2. Best brake I've used for Alpine stuff.

trailmonkey

XT complete sets for £168 on Wiggle. Bargain.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you don't have any spongyness' and the lever bites easily and doesn't go all the way to the bars then clean your discs and roughen your pads with light sand paper so they are not shiny.

One time I though my XTR was rubbish and then found the LX biting so much better. Quick swap of pads and found my resin XTR pads were the culprit.
    Calipers-well not much to it so if they have been serviced and cleaned they should be like new.

£300 vs. 1hr on an afternoon tinkering and getting the brakes spot on.

See if any local rider to you has the same/similar setup to compare.

hora
    Free Member

Spongy – no distinct bite, been through a few pads (thought they had glazed etc). Even if you snatch them they wont lock up etc etc.

duir
    Free Member

Hope tech X2 183mm F&R fitted to a 5" trail bike. Leathered in northern Scotland several times a week, in all weathers and plenty of huge (3000'+ descents). Only one issue to date…..I had to replace the rear brake pads after 6 months and the front are still original!

I am 6' and 14.5 stone and treat my bike as a mini DH bike.

Totally fit and forget. (if you bother to fit'em properly to start with!).

neil853
    Free Member

I have the new saints on mine after replacing the XTR's that were on there, obviously a huge difference. But i'm glad i invested in the saints as they are truely fantastic. If i wasn't going to spend quite as much it would definately be XT's. Two of the lads i ride with have them and they are also extremely good.

cookeaa

Well you can easily get a F+R set of XT M775 for ~£180 or less (with 160mm rotors)

You can of course re-use the mount adapter and 203mm rotor you have on the front already and bosh you’re about close to a straight replacement for your old Saints as your going to get, the calliper is very similar, uses the same pads I believe, the main difference is you now get the servo wave levers and of course everything is shiny and new and fully bled…
    Should be good for another 6-7 years if your old ones are any indication…

If cash is really tight have you considered SLX?

coogan
    Free Member

SLX are superb for the money. I can't any point in paying any more personally.

poppa
    Free Member

I'd go SLX/XT for bargain valueness. Cheapish and work very well.

vinnyeh

Around £120 for front and rear M775 from Ribble- very good brakes, or £95 for f + r SLX, both no rotors.

cookeaa

All of the same positives for XT apply for SLX except you have a 2 piece rather than one piece caliper (not that I think you'll really notice any real difference) and of course you'll save ~£50 on a full set compared to XT…

hora
    Free Member

or £95 for f + r SLX, both no rotors.

My current rotors would work with them..

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Cannot fault my Tektro IO with Aztec rotors from SJSCycles

vinnyeh

My current rotors would work with them..

Yes. Only other point is that most modern calipers are post mount front so you will need a new adaptor if the Saints are IS caliper.

hora
    Free Member

36 Float's are post 😀

vinnyeh

yep, but if your saint calipers are IS then you'll probably have a post to IS adaptor on there at the moment.

benman
    Free Member

I'd go SLX too. Having tried XT on a friends bike, I've found the SLX to be more powerful. Cheaper and nicer looking too in my opinion.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just bought a new SLX front (from Ribble – cheapest I found) and it's a cracking brake. Did two days in the Lakes this week and it was very impressive. 1 finger braking everywhere (except on the ups….). Made my old Formula K24s feel very old.

richmtb

The current Shimano are all pretty good. SLX stand out for value though.

New Saints are a bit spendy but, hyperbole aside, they really are excellent. I ran Hope M4's on two bike before I switched to Saints on my new build and they wipe the floor with the Hope brakes

udder
    Free Member

Replace your old Saints with the new Saints. I've just bought a set and after a week tearing down the red and black runs in Morzine and Les Gets I can confirm that the Saints are simply unbelievable in terms of power and control.

They're well worth the money and are the best upgrade I've made in years.

hora
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Hora, before you reach for the wallet, spend some time looking after your brakes.
    If you're on here saying they're cr@p, but you havent bled them etc etc then go away, clean them bleed them, bleed them again, sand the discs and pads, clean the rotors and bed them in again.
    Everything needs a degree of maintenance.
    Oh and before you clean them, drop some mineral oil around the pistons, gently pull the lever to get them out, wipe around the pistons, push them back in and repeat about 5 times for each piston.
    Shimano brakes are lower maintenance than say juicys, but they still need looking after.
    If they are still as rubbish after the above i'll be very surprised.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hora – Member

Thinking out loud.

Could I reuse my brake levers and simply buy http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_Saint_M810_Hydraulic_4_Piston_Disc_Brake_Calliper/5360038207/
    And if your levers are the culprit? Then what?

MarkN
    Free Member

I have Saints, yes not the cheapest but I was only going to build the bike up once. Great brakes though if a bit rich.

hora
    Free Member

bigyinn the LBS did this two weeks ago. I've not ridden any other bikes for a longtime. Then recently (including today) I rode someones – basic Shimano.

It was like night and day.

And if your levers are the culprit? Then what?

How?!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Brakes- recommendations’ is closed to new replies.