Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Brakes on a reasonable budget
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

OK folks, I’ve got up to £250 to spend on brakes for my new build, there are a few conditions that must be met, they are:

1 – Good power & feel
    2 – Good reliability
    3 – Decent pad wear
    4 – Must be available to be at my door by Friday
    5 – Absolute maximum of £250 complete for 180mm discs F&R, calipers, levers, hoses, Front post & Rear IS mounts.
    6 – Brand new, no 2nd hand ‘bargains’
    7 – If you know of t’interweb bargains post the link.

Cheers

Northwind

Go directly to CRC, buy Formula Oro K24s, £160 for exactly what you describe (join topcashback and get 4% cashback too). The Formula store is a little cheaper but might take a little too long for you.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Are those there K24’s good brakes, as in are they as good as the RX’s they have on offer?

Northwind

I’ve never used RXs so can’t compare but I got a set of K24s when I built the Hemlock, a month later another set replaced my XTs. And then I got a set of k18s for the rigid :mrgreen: Not cutting edge but very good, don’t really have much of a bad word to say about them.

robhughes
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

SLX are good and nice prices around (CRC have them on the wrong way round levers but easy sorted)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Have a look on Merlin cycles, xtr for 200 including rotors plus lots of others

steve_b77
    Free Member

Thanks guys, to be fair this is most confusing!

cynic-al
    Free Member

£250 a reasonable budget? NO need to spend more than half that IMO, I got a set of BB5s w/cables and levers for £45 on ebay last week.

Northwind

The XTR at Merlin only comes with 160mm centrelock rotors, so possibly not ideal- and I think they’re IS so more limited fitting choices than PM with adaptors. Which is why they’re cheap I guess!

soobalias
    Free Member

i feel i should draw everyones attention to the fact that only Hope are considered truly good quality and that there is never a problem sourcing spares for the occasional rebuild.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

For a combination of performance, feel, reliability, servicability and price the Hope Tech X2’s have to be the best, but front and back including rotors and adaptors come out at £300 on Merlin. You might be able to haggle as you are buying a pair

Northwind

“For a combination of performance, feel, reliability, servicability and price the Hope Tech X2’s have to be the best”

Or, not. Good brakes but at too high a price to be a clear winner.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Whats the difference between Avid Elixir 5’s and Elixir R?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Answered my own question 😀

Elixir R’s Tool free adjustment & 375g’s for 160mm set up £159 F&R
    Elixir 5’s No tool free adjustment & 392g’s for a 160 set up £145 F&R

So is the tool free reach adjustment really worth £14 ❓

Northwind

Probably not. Depends if you think you’ll use it 😉 I’m biased obviously but I wouldn’t take Elixirs over the Formulas.

steve_b77
    Free Member

But with the Formulas being older generation brakes are there any issues with spares etc

sv

I was looking at formulas today, not sure what model (RX probably) but one of them will be replacing the SLXs I have.

Northwind

steve_b77 – Member

“But with the Formulas being older generation brakes are there any issues with spares etc”

Nope, and looking back Formula still sell spares for brakes that have been out of production for some time (frinstance you can buy The Oro was a popular OEM brake so there’s a lot of them out there. Obviously I can’t say for sure, maybe tomorrow UK Bike Store and Formula will throw all their old spares in the bin but I’m not worried.

wwaswas

Magura Louise;

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/magura-louise-bat-2009-p-2810.html

great brakes, I run two sets and have had no problems with either.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Brakes on a reasonable budget’ is closed to new replies.