Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • brakes for little hands and balance bike.
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

My little lad (2 1/2) has a specialized hotwalk balance bike. Hes got it dialled but wont ride down big hills solely because he can’t control his speed.

So I want to put brakes on it. I am after a really small brake lever and a suitable caliper but at minimal expense.
    Do any of you have any suggestions or even better something sitting around in spares box.

I was thinking of cyclocross top levers or bmx might work but dont know what the reach is like on them.

Thanks
    Rich

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I don’t know who makes the brake levers on the new Decathlon B’Twin balance bikes, but they are excellent.

tonyd

Our Rothans came with Tektro mini-Vs I think, both my boys were braking confidently by 2.5 years. A quick google, this could be them:

Levers

Calipers

Edit: Watch out for handlebar diameter when you buy levers.

matt_outandabout

Our lot all had Tektro or Avid levers that you could adjust reach – one model in particular went a long way in, and was better (Tektro rip-off of an Avid SD3/5/7)

superfli
    Free Member

Wait until he’s on a proper bike. Balance bikes are lovely and cute, but he probably wont be on it for more than 6months.
    Specialized Hotrock 12 has rear coaster brake, making skids easy:-)

havinalaff
    Free Member

I will be getting him something with pedals for Christmas however I feel that he’d develop much quicker with a brake in the meantime. Perhaps I should put a post in wanted.

tonyd

IMO a brake on a balance bike is a good thing as it gets them used to braking. My eldest (now 3.5) learnt on a Rothan with a rear brake, he’s now happily riding a Cnoc 14 and can control the bike downhill. If nothing else this is good for the (my) nerves! At the moment the youngest (2.5) tends to use it when going uphill for some reason 🙂

FWIW I considered a coaster brake when looking for his first pedal bike but ruled it out as too much faff getting started (setting the pedals). I had distant memories of getting annoyed with this myself. Glad I did as a friend got his son a Hotrock 12 with coaster and gives it mixed reviews.

brassneck

Will the HotWalk rims support braking? I guess they’ll sort of work.

All of my 3 managed without brakes, but they’d have been a nice option to have. Coaster brake not posing any issues either, they love it once they realise how far they can skid 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Surely it doesn’t have v-brake mounts, so you’re limited to calipers and compatible levers (don’t know if that means mini-v levers will be right or wrong?), and even then maybe only the front brake unless you can drill a hole for the back brake? The forks on our balance bike have a hole for a caliper, think that is normal.

Oh, and take him to a big bmx track at a quiet time, good place to learn to go down hills with a decent smooth run out and no need for a brake.

Oh, and the otherwise absolutely brilliant strider balance bike has a stupid push down brake rather than handlebars, which they claim is better for little kids. Having seen it tested in somewhere with proper steep hills, and going onto a proper bike at 3 and a bit, I can safely say that I disagree with them about the brake, they should just bung a normal brake on there, way better even for a little kid than the silly foot brake.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Ive got a bolt on v brake mount in my parts box so the options are there alternatively I have no problem in drilling a hole for calipers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘brakes for little hands and balance bike.’ is closed to new replies.