Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Brakes for Islabikes (CNOC)
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’m new to the world of Islabikes but I can see that it may be a long and somewhat expensive road. As I was scouring eBay and local ads for a rothan balance bike, I found a CNOC 14 at a price that was too good to pass up, although I clearly won’t be needing it for a few years yet. Anyway, this bike looks in good nick, but it doesn’t have a front brake. It has bosses so I’m sure I can put one on. I’m going to treat this as a doer upper so it’s gonna be stripped and re-painted etc and I’ve got plenty of time! Anyway, I had a few questions:

1) Did Islabikes ever do a CNOC with only 1 brake? I think the brake has been removed at some point, but I just want to check it’s not intentional?
    2) Do 3-4 years olds even need 2 brakes? Perhaps it’s confusing, will they go straight over the bars with a front brake?
    3) Any idea where I would source a replacement brake from?
    4)I know the levers are specially made for small hands but are the calipers ‘standard’? I have some nice almost retro 1998 XT vees that would make the other dads jealous (if they are suitable)!

I’ll probably fire off an email to Islabikes at some point, but I thought the good folk here would have some useful comments.

Junkyard
    Free Member

2) Do 3-4 years olds even need 2 brakes? Perhaps it’s confusing, will they go straight over the bars with a front brake?

Mine took years to understand what a brake did never mind go OTB

You are unlikely to do much that is not pretty flat so its dooable – mine had a disengaged pedal back brake at about that age

Superficial
    Free Member

For those interested / future reference :

1) you can buy levers from islabikes directly (they’re not on the website though) for £10 each

2) the brakes they use are standard v brake mounts but slightly shorter arms than my XT v- brakes. This means that less cable pull is required on their brakes.

3) my XT calipers work fine but a) feel a bit squidgier due to the cable pull difference as above and b.) are a bit longer so heel clearance could potentially be an issue (I set the pads up with minimal spacing so the arms sit more inboard)

4) there’s nothing special about the cabling / noodles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Brakes for Islabikes (CNOC)’ is closed to new replies.