Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • brake upgrade advice
  • jjxray
    Free Member

Hi I will be upgrading my tektro brakes to sram guide RE soon.
    The stupid question I have is do I need brand new hydraulic hoses and fittings? Im not sure whether sram has specific fittings and hoses (or whether I can use generic ones), but I think the change to dot fluid from mineral would dictate I need new hoses at least….. any help?
    cheers

PJay
    Free Member

I can’t help with the specifics, but if there’s a change to mineral DOT fluid from mineral oil you will need new hoses; if you’re just planning to replace the calipers I’m afraid you’ll need new levers too.

— Edit —

Or am I wrong – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/swopping-internally-routed-rear-brake-sram-to-shimano/

SirHC

The brakes will come with hoses.

JAG

If the brake fluid is changing from DOT to Mineral (or the other way) then you MUST replace the whole system.

Rubbers, used to make the Seals, are compatible with one type of fluid only – not both.

Seals for DOT fluid will fail in Mineral oil and vice-versa.

honourablegeorge

If you buy new brakes, they most likely come with hoses fitted and already bled. You just bolt them on – may need to shorten the hoses, but most brakes come with spare olives and barbs to allow that (SRAM normally do)

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I think I’ve always found it cheaper to buy the whole brake i.e. lever hose and caliper in one rather than individually.
    But yes I’d swap the whole lot over. Then you sell/use the Tektro brakes on another bike

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

New SRAM brakes come as a complete/built system. Calipher/hose/lever all ready to use.

jjxray
    Free Member

thanks all! much appreciated

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘brake upgrade advice’ is closed to new replies.