Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brake swap – cable disc brakes for hydraulic
  • dawson

Just got a new bike that came with BB7 cable disc brakes.

I’m thinking of taking them off straight away, selling while they are clean and replacing with Deore or SLX.

Does this seem reasonable or should I just try the cable disc brakes as they are?

sync
    Free Member

What bike?

IMO, if its coming with cable bb7s as stock anything over deore would be overkill.

If it’s a lower end bike be mindful of the value of upgrades vs buying a better bike to start with. There really are very noticeable diminishing returns in this price bracket.

dawson

Kona Unit 29er singlespeed

epicyclo

Just upgrade the cable outers.

samunkim
    Free Member

Yep
    Do the change to Deore ASAP.

Flog the BB7’s on FleaBay and use the money to buy some bling

honourablegeorge

sync – Member
    What bike?

IMO, if its coming with cable bb7s as stock anything over deore would be overkill.

Nonsense. Any bike can benefit from decent brakes.

I’d do exactly as the OP is suggesting – maybe those £99 XTs off Merlin with a £10 discount.

T1000
    Free Member

Sigh… BB7’s are great brakes

As epicyclo says just upgrade the outers

IHN

FWIW, I ‘upgraded’ to XT hydros after years on BB7s. I can’t say I’m blown away by any massive improvement and I’m considering swapping back.

alexpalacefan

OK, still on topic:

What outers to upgrade cable disc brakes?

APF

edhornby

charlie the bikemonger does compressionless outers for a sensible price

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by these if I had a cheap-ish bike and wanted hydraulics…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-altus-m355-disc-brake/rp-prod119956

willf
    Free Member

dawson: I’ll buy the BB7s off you if you’re selling. I’m after some simple, low-maintenance brakes for a touring bike.

epicyclo

alexpalacefan – Member
    OK, still on topic:

What outers to upgrade cable disc brakes?

If you don’t mind a bit of fettling you can make your own compressionless outers with a bit of alloy tubing from B&Q.

Once that is done there is virtually no wasted lever movement and the full pull goes into working the brake. This is handy if you ride in muddy conditions because you can set up with more pad clearance. (Which is why I did it in the first place). Or you can set it up as normal, of course. The feel is very similar to a decent hydro.

You can see it here – the outer that does not need to flex is all alloy tubing:
    [/url]

cynic-al
    Free Member

BB7s are very good IME, but if you fancy the hydros go for it.

edhornby

Willf – I bought a clarks CMD15 from CRC, they are a BB7 copy and are great for a tenner, you get rotors and fittings but no levers or cables – Vbrake or standard road levers work with them. For that price you can’t go wrong

Epicyclo – genius idea cheers

kerley
    Free Member

Can’t see why the need to change – I have BB7s and find them pretty good. Good modulation, good stopping power etc,. (this is for XC type riding)

I do use Jagwire Ripcords which I got from Planet X for around £15 but not convinced the difference between ‘normal’ cables is that noticeable but they do look better!

dawson

Thanks for all the responses.

Given the number of positive comments for the BB7’s, I think I’m going to try them for 6 months to see how they are, and take it from there.

v8ninety

Bear in mind that does somewhat reduce the potential resale value of your BB7s though. Nothing like ‘new, take off’ to get the bids rolling in…

nedrapier

alexpalacefan and Dawson: Jagwire ripcord outers are good, if you’re not sure about the ally tubing.

Worth taking some time to make sure the cut ends are square and smooth when you fit them.

epicyclo

nedrapier – Member

Worth taking some time to make sure the cut ends are square and smooth when you fit them.

Dremel is your friend for that job. Tidies up the end nice and square.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brake swap – cable disc brakes for hydraulic’ is closed to new replies.