Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brake question – I know it's been done to death but..
  • Alex

Off to the Pyrenees end of next week 🙂 I've had my oldish Juicy 7s revived a number of times but I'm still not entirely happy with them from a power/setup/standpoint. And we'll be out of sight of anything but our own spares for 3-4 day so need to fell 100% happy with the non serviceable bits while we're out there.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new set from Merlin. The XT's and Elixir both come in about £200. Reviews are mixed on the Avid's but I've not had Shimano brakes since "Squeelin'" XT V's.

Any experience of either or both would be useful. A search has me thinking there is no consistent experience especially with Avid's which seem entirely Marmite!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am in a good patch with my Avids also oldish 7s). I basically punched them every time they pissed me off. I had to do it quite a few times, but they've been trouble free for a while. I've done nothing else to explain that, so I think it was simply the fear of random violence. 🙂

Alex

BD – it's a maintenance regime now unknown in our house and I'm considering it as a low cost solution to my problem 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Shimanos are fit and forget. They just work and work well IME (Maybe I shouldn't say that just before we head off to the Alps 🙂 ). The pyrenees are pretty well stocked with good bike shops, BTW.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano seem to have the highest recommendations from owners, most other brands have gone wrong in some way for someone.

TJ will tell you about spares availabilty, I will tell you I've not needed any spares in 6 years of owning 2 pairs.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I don't like my SLX quite as much as my old (pre-Servowave etc.) XTR but otherwise Shimano brakes get the thumbs up from me.

Alex

We're in the mountains for three days. No shops where we're going! Right XT's it is then. Where's that credit card?

Clong
    Free Member

Ive ran shimano deore's on the commuter fro 4 year or so. Must have covered around 8000 miles. They get washed in the winter, new pads when they need them. Not so much as a whimper.

Alex

That's what I like to see, confirmation of what great brakes Shimano make after I've ordered them!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i guess is too late to say XT (without rotors) are £120 at Ribble after youve applied all their discounts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brake question – I know it's been done to death but..’ is closed to new replies.