Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake pads – Kevlar or Sintered?
  • stevied
    Free Member

So I need some new pads for my Hope Tech4’s and am thinking of giving the Sooperstar ones a go.
    Question is kevlar or sintered?
    I only ride a couple of times a week on the Malverns (15 miles-ish)and do the odd uplift day @ FoD so no major mileage. Will the Kevlars last OK? The standard Hope ones have lasted a couple of years of this use…
    Thoughts?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Kevlar are a good halfway house between organic and sintered. They are a bit softer than sintered, so I tend to swap mine for sintered in winter / muddy conditions.
    They have similar braking power to organic with some of the wear characteristics of sintered.

stevied
    Free Member

Are the organics any good? Tempted to go for a 4 pack of those as kevlar are out of stock. Then get some kev’s when back in stock..

greeble
    Free Member

Are the organics any good?

in the bone dry yes. Use them all the time in the alps.

they will wear down in a matter of minutes if used in the mud and wet

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I tend to use sintered for the rear (longer lasting) and organic or kevklar up front (better feel).

Northwind

Depends entirely on your mud tbh. I use kevlar pretty much all the time, best balance IMO but then I don’t seem to ride anywhere with really abrasive mud. Is it the dark peaks that are supposed to be murderous? Kinlochleven was quite hard on them last year but that’s the only time I’ve not been totally happy with the life.

RobinL

I’ve used organic and sintered and got fed up with the squeal of sintered so I use now use organic, how do kevlar compare, are they as noisy as sintered ?

cardo

Nope Kevlar don’t squeal IME… I’ve used them a lot and found them to be a good middle ground between Organic and Sintered…

Tracey

Every one was raving about these Race Matrix pads at the Steel City DH a couple of weeks ago. Got 4 sets to try in the Alps this summer.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/426/View-all-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads-here

shredder
    Free Member

I have the Race compound from Uberbike in a set of Saints very very good 😯
    Was advised to give them a try instead of Kevlar which is what I called into purchase.
    Will buy again

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve ordered some organic ones to try out..not a lot of mud on the Malverns at the mo so should be good. Hopefully be dry in a couple of weeks for the FoD uplift too

zelak999
    Free Member

Couldn’t get on with the SS Kevlar ones so I sold them on here and bought the Uberbike sintered ones.
    Kevlar far too noisy for my liking.

mrelectric

Kevlar quieter but last 5 mins in West Yorks wet & grit. Sintered only practical option IME.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads – Kevlar or Sintered?’ is closed to new replies.