Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brake pads for Alps trip -sintered or organic?
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Off to the Alps in a few weeks and need to stock up on some brake pads, last year I was using Avid Elixirs with Organic pads but got through 2.5 sets in a week, this year I’ve upgraded the brakes to Formula T1s and am about to order some spare pads from Superstar just wondering what the opinion is on using either sintered or organic pads.

Cheers guys.

nickjb
    Free Member

A lot will depend on the weather, and there is a lot of it in the Alps. Kevlar is a good compromise of life against power.

nickc

Depends on the weather really

Normally organic for Alps, but I’ve had to use Sintered when the weather was shit one year

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

+1 Kevlar

dannybgoode

Uberbike Rcae Matrix

Superb stopping and reportedly excellent wear rates (not had them on long enough to comment on the latter).

Note you can buy 4 sets for £29.9 buy ticking the box on the product page that I completely missed when I bought mine!

Cheers

Danny B

Northwind

Kevlar- the splitter’s option… Depends on your alps, your riding and your weather tbh but I’ve found mine pretty much flawless, had to change halfway through the week but then they weren’t brand new when I went out. Won’t wear as fast as organic should you hit gritty mud, or cook as badly as sintered should you be a dragger 😉

stevied
    Free Member

Why don’t SS do it so that you can order different compounds in the multi-buy pack?
    My organics are doing great, holding up well after an uplift day and lots of riding on the Malverns (not the Alps but lots of speed/braking). It has been dry for most of the rides tho..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Organic or kevlar, not much difference between ’em.

You’re on holiday for a short while only, live with the fact that you’ll go through a few sets and be glad that you’ve saved your ears from the constant screaching that you risk with sintered.

disconoir
    Free Member

Cheers guys – Kevlar it is then!

Northwind

stevied – Member

Why don’t SS do it so that you can order different compounds in the multi-buy pack?

I asked nicely for an organic set to try, when ordering a kevlar 4-pack.

disconoir
    Free Member

Right kevlars ordered – next up could do with some new tyres, currently running High Rollers F&R (ST front 60a R), any suggestions or more of the same?

stevied
    Free Member

next up could do with some new tyres

If it’s all downhill, look at getting dual ply (and go tubeless unless you are already)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not been to the alps, but for Spain I usualy take a couple of organic sets (i.e. 4 pack form superstar) and the same again of something harder in case the weather turns nasty. The problem in Spain was the soil was just really coarse fast drainng sand so even after rain it didn’t get muddy, so pads glazed over and there wasn’t anything abrasive to bring them back to life!

MSP

Due to the heat that can be created on alpine descents organic pads can glaze and lose a hell of a lot of performance. Sintered transmit more heat to the hydraulic fluid and can possibly cause it to boil.

I would say the glazing of organic pads is a much more likely scenario, especially if brakes are freshly bled, which is worth doing anyway before an alps trip.

MSP

any suggestions or more of the same

What type of bike/riding will you be doing? I have a new bike coming in the next week or two, I know it comes with supertacky single ply minions, which I will be swapping for dual ply, if your in no rush I could sell you the singleply’s they will have been fitted but unused.

disconoir
    Free Member

MSP – what size are the Minions going to be and are they folding or wire bead do you know, that sounds like it could be good.

MSP

They will be “Maxxis Minion DH F 2,5″/Minion DHR 2.4” I don’t know if they will be wire or kevlar bead.

When are you going? Although they promised delivery next week (they are waiting for a spring which they said would arrive this week, and I can’t concentrate at work as I sit like an excited schoolboy waiting for the despatch email). There is always a possibility of delays.

disconoir
    Free Member

Heading out 11th July, so a few weeks yet. Drop me an email when they get here paul at thorneandrews co.uk

Cheers

tinybits
    Free Member

Due to the heat that can be created on alpine descents organic pads can glaze and lose a hell of a lot of performance. Sintered transmit more heat to the hydraulic fluid and can possibly cause it to boil.

Hang on, that sounds dangerously like information on which to base an informed decision on!

You do realise this is STW don’t you?

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want single ply tyres, get a pair of On One Chunky Monkeys.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads for Alps trip -sintered or organic?’ is closed to new replies.