Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brake levers for salsa woodchippers
  • djflexure

I’m thinking of converting my S/S 29er into commuter for winter (mixture canals and roads). Got some rigid forks today, looking at woodchippers. Could stay with flat bars/bar ends. If I go to Woodchippers what brake levers should I look at to get the STI hood type feel?

I have SLX brakes on the bike currently but also have some Hope X2s to link with – If linking is a good option.

djflexure

bump for the early risers

antigee

these? assuming you are running single speed or bar end shifters

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r400-brake-levers/

or tektro do something similar

edit – not so sure diameter of clamp quoted looks a bit small ?

otsdr
    Free Member

As far as I know only TRP do a drop-bar standalone brake (Hylex).

I found the Woodchippers to be generally unconfortable/unusable on the hoods, have switched to Cowbells.

antigee

apologies missed the hydraulic bit ignore my useless advice 🙁

djflexure

Thanks all – will look at Cowbells

howarthp

Check out the Alpkit Love Mud bars too

scotroutes

You’re not going to get something that looks/feels like an STI, that does hydro brakes, and that uses your existing calipers. The nearest you are going to get would be Alfine Di2 STIs (using your existing SLX calipers) or a Hope V-twin set-up that might be able to use your X2s and something like those R400s. Either way it’s looking pretty expensive

djflexure

V-twin master cylinder on its own is £90, will look at it and the Alfine.

Forgot about the cheap Mud Bars – thanks

Ioneonic

Giant Connect bar is very similar to the Cowbell 3 and can be had for £15 I think.

Love Mud Bombers look more flared, if that is what you are after. On One midge more flared again.
    Shand and Genetic (at SJS cycles) do flared drops as well, each slightly different, though difficult to compare exactly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brake levers for salsa woodchippers’ is closed to new replies.