• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SamB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake Lever top tube clash, any trick levers to avoid damage?
  • c_klein87

Recentley changed brakes on my 29er, now when the bars rotate they clip the top tube, which i found to my error at SSUK when i smashed off my rear lever. Now building up my singular the problem seems worse as it has a higher top tube, are there any good tricks to avoid damaging frame, levers, bar etc whilst keeping a nice low front end?

DenDennis
    Free Member

apart from changing angle/geometery, I tend to just not over-tighten the brakes bracket too much on the bars- in the event of a crash the lever rotates around a bit rather than snapping itself/ damaging frame…

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.acros.de/PRODUCTS/HEADSET/BLOCKLOCK:::3_91_145.html?XTCsid=31fd6059dc11cbdc2e609dc7eabd3acb

The newest innovation of ACROS is the BLOCK LOCK System, where we integrated a steering limit to prevent you from frame damage due to handlebars or forks. This makes our Block Lock especially useful if you have an ultra light weight carbon frame. Cutouts in the upper bearing shell guide the pin of the headset top cap and limit the steering in a mechanical way. The forces will be reduced by elastomeres to increase the grade of protection for your frame. The basis for our BLOCK LOCK system are our proven ACROS headsets AH-06 and Ai-22. Both use high quality stainless steel bearings and our proven R3 seal to guarantee you a long lasting performance. For the positve locking between headset and stem / steerer is guarantied by our special locking spacer or our ACROS BLOCK LOCK compatible A-Stem.

Bit extreme.
    Alternative is to change the pitch of your levers so they dont hit the TT, or rotate the riser, or lift the stem.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Don’t crash? 🙂

Not much you can do really other than put helitape of similar on the TT to reduce the damage. Or you can get metal ones but they look crap IMO.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Don’t overtighten the levers and I use a strategically applied frame sticker.

wwaswas

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/kashimax.html

don’t stop it but at least cushion the blow and protect your top tube…

clubber
    Free Member

See, told you they look crap 🙂

wwaswas

🙂

other TT protectors are available…

c_klein87

Tape and not over tightening the levers could be my only hope then, i like the idea of the block lock though

simon1975

I use a bit of drinks can wrapped and taped to the toptube where the levers hit it. Covered in electrical tape. Not too ugly with white tape on a white frame!

thomthumb
    Free Member

See, told you they look crap

wat bruz. deyz got NJS an tin

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Jedi recommends raising your levers up and not having them in line as per the usual advice, as it improves the way the arms/shoulders absorb riding shocks and also puts you in a btter position for downs.

If you did this would they still hit the frame?

SamB
    Free Member

^^ What TurnerGuy said. Try rotating your levers up for a few rides and see how you get on. It feels fine when you get used to it (this coming from a ex-“levers in line with forearms in attack position” user).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake Lever top tube clash, any trick levers to avoid damage?’ is closed to new replies.