Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brake help
  • langers78
    Free Member

Hi all…again!

I’m prepping the next part of my rebuild and need some help with the brakes.

I did have Avid Elixir R’s with a 203mm rotor at the front and a 185mm at the rear. Rear uses an IS to Post Mount adapter. I managed to pick up some brand new XT M8000 brakes for a great price.

Can I use the XTs with my existing Avid rotors/adapters? If so, can anyone advise how to set them up with the existing mounts, I read something about not using the CPS washers, but if I’m honest I don’t understand exactly what I need to do.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks guys

Langers.

langers78
    Free Member

Well this crashed and burned…

jkomo

The rotors will be fine.
    The adapters should
    Be okay but you might need to adjust with washers if not, or get the proper shimano ones.
    I use any adapters I’ve got and then spend ages fettling.
    Be careful to use the correct length screw, long enough to be secure, not too long to push into the fork.

damascus
    Free Member

Shimano rotors are 160, 180 etc.

Personally I wouldn’t but others have used spacers. Just make sure you have just the right amount of pad on disc.

Don’t forget to clean them before you use them.

endomick
    Free Member

Wont they just bolt on with 20mm bolts, no need for conical washers system. Assuming they’re both threaded adapters with 4 holes, if the front is a bolt through adapter you’ll just need bolts several millimetres shorter than the originals with conical washers just on top. Plonk the caliper straight on the adapter to check rotor position.

langers78
    Free Member

Cheers for all of the replies. I’ll post some pics this weekend of the adapters, frame and forks, if that helps.

Cheers

Langers

langers78
    Free Member

A bit of a late reply, I’ve been a bit busy. I hope you’ve all had a good one?

Here are some pics of my brakes before I took the bike to bits. If anyone could advise how I can attach the XT calipers to the Avid adapters and still use the same Avid rotors, I would be massively grateful!

Cheers guys

Langers.

Front

Back

dove1

Just swap the callipers and use the same washers and bolts you have on the bike now. It should work with a bit of fettling and patience.

Alternatively buy a 180mm rotor for the rear, the correct shimano adapters for front and rear and use the bolts and washers that came with your new brakes.

robo89
    Free Member

As previously suggested, just get some 18mm or 20mm M6 bolts, uberbikes have some nice titanium ones, chuck the avid brakes and cone washers in the bin. Simple, don’t see any problem, whats happening when the new calipers are put straight on the adapters.

langers78
    Free Member

These are the 4 bolts that came with the brakes, the threaded length looks to be 19mm.

They also came with these 2 clips, I have no idea what they are for, sorry for being so clueless!

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Once again cheers for all of the help!</span>

Thanks

Langers

robo89
    Free Member

The last time I bought shimano brakes I didn’t get any bolts, they were OEM though, without boxes.
    I’m guessing those thingies go over the bolt heads so you can see if the bolts come loose, a bit like those yellow arrows on bus wheel nuts. I always pimp my brakes with ti bolts and avoid the rust like on those avid ones.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brake help’ is closed to new replies.