Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake fade on longish descent
  • Pook

Hi all,

I did the descent from Howtown to Harsop the other day, and about half way my brakes faded. The pads were fine, but the braking just felt a bit spongy. What causes this and how can i sort it?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

it is caused by the pads/fluid overheating.

You need to use the brakes less so that they dont heat up so much. try not to hold them permanently on as you are descending, just brake when you need it (easier said than done sometimes)

Stoner
    Free Member

and some brake models are better than others.

Also some brake pad materials/backing materials/rotor designs/piston materials are better at not transfering heat build up to the hydraulic fluid from the brake face.

epicyclo

BB7 sorts it. Also use larger disks to aid heat dissipation.

z1ppy

replace the fluid in your brakes… off-hand what brakeset are they, and when were they last serviced?

Pook

avid juicy 3 – not serviced in many moons. After a weekend in the Lakes I can’t decide whether to upgrade forks or brakes….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“The First Rule of Tuning” states that you should always upgrade your stopping power before you try to go any faster by upgrading your going power.

So:

Brakes
    Then forks.

🙂

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I had this problem and it was sorted by using resin pads and a bigger rotor up front. This is a much cheaper, and probably more effective, solution than upgrading your brakes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the brakes have not been serviced in many moons then that is your answer – bleed thru with new fluid. It should be changed every year or two

mk1fan
    Free Member

Using DOT 5.1 fluid as opposed to the DOT 4 fluid they come filled with would also help.

Pook

nice one – cheers all. Cracking riding in the Lakes though – there’ll be a video coming up soon

;o)

Dibbs
    Free Member

The pads were fine, but the braking just felt a bit spongy

That’s not what I’d term brake fade, with real brake fade the pads overheat and stop gripping the disc, the lever stays firm.
    What you’re describing is more likely to be caused by moisture in the brake fluid heating up turning into steam and causing the spongyness.
    A change of fluid should sort it.

traildog
    Free Member

No need to change your brakes – Avid 3s should be well up to the task. Most likely problem, as has been said, is the old fluid. DOT fluid absorbs water, so needs changing every year or so.
    Cannot think of anywhere in the UK where I have been worried about brake fade.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake fade on longish descent’ is closed to new replies.