Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Brake Disc/Adaptor compatibility? SLX to Juicys
  • james
    Free Member

Though I get on with the juicys (they do have their issues), I’d like to try some SLX servowaves

I’ve 6 bolt hubs though, shimanos 6 bolt rotors look pretty naff and the juicy 185mms look better.

Despite the stupid conical spacer V-brake style setup, will SLX post mount calipers bolt straight to avid 185mm calipers? Or will they need the spacer setup? Or is it different?
    [how does an avid juicy attach to a 160mm rotor on a post mount fork?]

retro83
    Free Member

I use Juice 185 rotors with SLX brakes. I use the Avid 160-185 adapter, and the Shimano bolts (no conical washers). Fits and works perfectly.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Probably.

As long as you use the correct adaptor for the size of the rotor you ought to be reet: both callipers are designed to bolt stright onto a post mount fork with no adaptor (except the spacers on juicys which can be taken as a given part of the caliper rather than the adaptor for the purposes of working out your adaptors). So all the adaptor does is convert from IS mount to post mount and add a certain distance (in this case 12.5mm) from the wheel axle.

In practice avid adaptors seem to have the post mount holes drilled ever so slightly further over to the left ( I use juicys on shimano mounts on one bike with a timy bit of filing on the conical washers which sit too far out of the right side of the adaptor)) and this could mean aligning the calliper becomes a bit of a mission if it doesn’t slide far enough to the right to sit central over the disc rotor. You won’t know until you try as it will be a matter of 1mm max. If that happens you could either space out the adaptor on the fork/frame mount, or space the rotor out on the hub mount.

EDIT: oh and a) like most other disc brake manufacturers, shimano don’t honour garauntees if you mix and match parts from other suppliers
    b) you can’t get 185mm adaptors made by shimano cos they don’t make 185mm rotors either.

But it will most likely be fine.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I used to run Juicy’s with mmy hope rotors on shimano mounts and i have now got xt calipers on the same mounts and rotors with no problems.
    As said above the mounts are for the rotor size and the juicy caliper includes washers etc as part of it not the mount.

james
    Free Member

No, I know the adaptors are for 185 rotors which only avid do. I have them already. Thanks for the replies. Sounds tlike an SLX caliper will go straight onto a 185mm avid adaptor to run on a 185mm rotor. I didn’t know if the adaptor needed the conical spacers or not. Sounds like its the caliper that needs the spacers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Brake Disc/Adaptor compatibility? SLX to Juicys’ is closed to new replies.