Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • BPW; So good it's p**sing me off!
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Churlish rant time.

We went to Bike Park Wales about two weeks ago and it was absolutely brilliant, so much so that we are prepared to drive for a 7 hr round trip just for another day.

However finding available uplift for 2 people on a convenient day in the next two months has proved impossible.

So we started trying to organise inconvenient days; still no luck.
    But finally this afternoon two places became available for the end of next week. We sorted work, we cleared it with our other halves (and it was Valentines day!), went to book…. Sold out!

I know it’s good for them and all that and I applaud their success, but I now basically don’t want to even think about going there for a while as it’s just proved too much organising and disappointment.

End of tantrum.

creamegg
    Free Member

It was dead the other day (weekend) with loads of spare room on the uplift (£4 per run) you could pedal up some runs and jump on the uplift on other runs

choppersquad
    Free Member

Makes you wonder if they couldn’t just squeeze another uplift van in there if its that busy?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It was so good last time just getting into the flow of run – bus – run -bus etc.
    We peddled the day before but after 3 climbs it became rather wearisome (it was peeing down at the time)

About a dozen of us are booked for this Saturday. Taking plenty of waterproofs!

anagallis_arvensis

It broke me last sunday still cant walk! Great fun until then though.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Its starting to get stupid now. Every weekend is fullyu booked into May now. Ive watched them sell out in hours as well, one saturday came online at midnight and sold out by 10am in the morning.

Im pretty lucky, local and have done 6 days there now but booking is still at three months at a time.

Even on opening day which i had an uplift day pass the trails were pretty quiet.

They need more buses before they build more trails. Also, running two together then one, as they were on running 3 at one point aint the way forward. Build some new passing spots and run single buses more frequently!

slackalice
    Free Member

I haven’t been, but would pedalling and using gears not be an option?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I haven’t been, but would pedalling and using gears not be an option?

😈

slackalice
    Free Member

Clearly not. 😕 🙂

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Have you tried pedalling a 40lb + Dh rig to the top of the trails. Not everyone wants to ride a a/m bike
    😯
    Me suspects some trolling 😉

wwaswas

I think I’d rather go somewhere I love to ride with a bike that’s capable of being ridden up hill then not go at all because I can’t cadge a lift up to the top.

elsubstar
    Free Member

They need more buses before they build more trails

Hit the nail on the head!

Im just puzzled why BPW wouldn’t lay on another bus. They must have enough drivers, maybe they don’t want too many people on the trails in this weather, but that’s what all weather surfaces are for. I would be so happy if they would lay on another bus for the dates that are currently booked up on their site. 2 or more buses Friday to Monday is a no brainer to me. It is so frustrating wanting to go and enjoy their great trails using the uplift but being unable to due to the small amount of seats available.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Revo and antur are both better.

slackalice
    Free Member

@ empire – no. I haven’t, as I tend to share the same view as wwaswas. I do recall a heady mix of pedal, push, pedal, swear, sit, push, pedal, swear etc with my old Bullit over in BC though, so I take your point.

No troll intended btw, as I said, I haven’t been, so don’t know the set up or scale of the place or if an ‘easier’ access trail is in place.

cookeaa

Im just puzzled why BPW wouldn’t lay on another bus. They must have enough drivers, maybe they don’t want too many people on the trails in this weather, but that’s what all weather surfaces are for.

IIRC it’s more that they are restricted in how much traffic they can sensibly put on the forest access roads, if you’ve been on the uplift you’ll notice they are only able to pass one another at a few points. in good weather they were getting a Van away form the pickup point every 5-10 min’s or so (Running 3 or 4). I did talk to the Drivers and running more than four busses at once just makes the logistics a bit more complicated, and probably won’t improve turnaround times hugely, I think they do run reduced number during the week and then lay on more capacity on the weekends to fit peaks in demand.

And of course Vans ain’t free, if they buy another one, it’s got to be able to pay its way, they don’t want “over capacity” it just dents profits, and it is a business after all.
    From a profitability point of view it’s better for BPW to have more Demand than Supply, if they can pretty much guarantee high/full occupancy and full bookings months in advance (especially when the weather is shite) then they are not going to be throwing away money, laying on extra seats for people who don’t actually want to come.

Laying on more busses would probably mean investing in upgrades/changes to the access routes, not the trails… I’m sure they have a plan, but there is a limit to how many bodies and bikes you can sensibly shift up and down the hill.

Personally Next time I visit I just plan to take my HT and maybe a little change in case the vans have a spare seat, but I want to pedal up as much as I can manage, makes me feel like less of a Nancy…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times and although you can easily ride to the top and hoon down, the number of runs you can do in a day compared to using the uplift is way less (obvs).

I love the trails and it would be great to have uplift on tap, but I know this would come at a cost – I’m sure the BPW crew are aware that people would like to have more uplift.

Last time I went up there I checked in at the desk as the iPads weren’t working – when I was asked if I was uplifting I replied jokily with something along the lines of “don’t be daft, I didn’t book 3 months ago”. Lady behind the desk responded with a face like thunder – I think they’re aware of the situation and there must be a cost/logistical reason why they haven’t laid on more buses to date….

Stevelol
    Free Member

I think it’s great that the place is booked up, especially in winter, it shows that the place is obviously doing something right and bodes well for the future of this type of riding resort. I haven’t been yet as it’s a 3 hour trip but can’t wait to go!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wonder how long before they think about a chairlift? Theres got to be a market for it being relatively close to London.

bigblackshed

Don’t be put off by the fully booked uplift. Mid week has never been a problem get on pay-as-go. Weekends are busier obviously.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Last time I went I really enjoyed riding up a few times but then had a few uplifts too.

Perhaps what they need is the ability to record those who would have booked the uplift had their been space which also acts as a reserve list too. Would give them chance to understand demand in a more quantitative way.

milky1980
    Free Member

OP I feel your pain. My boss won’t give me my rota more than 4 weeks in advance so it’s virtually impossible to book that far ahead! Managed to get a booking for Feb 20th as I was booked off all week so haven’t had to wait too long since it opened!!

I live 25 miles away and pass it every time I go see my parents or sister, plus work takes me there 2-3 times a week. It’s been taunting me since they started building it, to say I’m gagging for a play there is an understatement!!

I’m staring at it right now, grrrr!!!!

creamegg
    Free Member

can’t be gagging for it that bad if you cant even face a 25 minute climb.

8-10 runs is achievable on a non-uplift. hard going but still achievable, and im not even that fit

maxtorque

Having been the other week, in a mid week slot, i’d say that even with the uplift fully booked, you can get on the bus a bit. Certainly, the first bus of the day, and the first after lunch were not full as i guess people were still phaffing around and not ready etc

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Antur Stiniog have plenty of available places.

weeksy

They have 5 buses and 5 trailers, at the weekend they run 3. So midweek it’s purely got to be economic/driver reasons.

They could try a week with 2 vans and see how it works IMO….

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Capacity was always going to be an issue as you can imagine and by not over using the trails with unlimited numbers would cause the trails to degrade a lot faster and not allow Billy and the trail maintenance crew keep up with their work. As a local it is frustrating that we can’t use the uplift as often as we’d like but I guess it’s easier for us to chance grabbing the odd uplift when we can.

bigblackshed

creamegg – Member

8-10 runs is achievable on a non-uplift. hard going but still achievable, and im not even that fit

I think you need to re-assess your perceived level of fitness. 😉

Del

i’m sure they’re not turning business away for no reason. perhaps there’s a follow up mag article, or website feature there – it’d only take a phone call. ‘how’s it going? uplift’s doing really well, you’re booked 3 months in advance, going to put any more vans on?’

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I think I’d rather go somewhere I love to ride with a bike that’s capable of being ridden up hill then not go at all because I can’t cadge a lift up to the top.

^^^ This

takisawa2

Purely out of intrest, what is the drop in elevation from top to bottom ?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Regarding riding up, I’m a really good hill climber, I train and race both on the road and off road. I ride a hardtail (with big forks but it is set up as a singlespeed because I like singlespeeding).
    I can do the climb a fair few times, sure. If I used my race bike I could do a lot of climbs, but that’s not what I want from this place.
    I discovered the delights of uplifting at Antur this summer and now as a real change from the norm I want to do a few more days. There’s something very social and enjoyable about hammering down the runs, having a chat then bundling into the bus for yet another run. By the end of the day the camaraderie in the bus was great and we we all chatting and laughing because we’d spent all day together.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

350m vertical elevation I think.

milky1980
    Free Member

creamegg

If I wanted to ride up and down all day I’d go somewhere different. BPW is primarily designed as an uplift venue so is best enjoyed, strangely, using the uplift. Plus I’d like to save all my energy for hitting the downs as fresh as possible so that I A: get the most enjoyment out if it and B: don’t risk crashing through fatigue. I also don’t fancy a few 25 minute climbs in full face and body armour.

philwarren11
    Free Member

They were running 3 vans up until christmas, they didnt have enough drivers. Then waiting for a bus and two turn up out of the three takes the piss a bit.

I love the fact the buses are sponsered by Mercedes Vito but the vans were bought by BPW and are Ford Transits.

I’ve said above in my post, more buses and more passing points needed before more trails. You hardly see anyone over on melted welly/blue belle.

I’ve said above in my post, more buses and more passing points needed before more trails. You hardly see anyone over on melted welly/blue belle.

Yeah, cos it’s rubbish

MadPierre

It’s because it’s easy to get to for the southern shandy swillers! 😉 I’ve been once and it was ok despite the Welsh weather – but not amazingly better than Revolution, Antur, Bringewood, Hopton etc etc. There’s plenty of great uplifted DH venues in the UK. Try some others.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘BPW; So good it's p**sing me off!’ is closed to new replies.