Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BPW on a Halfords Special
  • Premier Icon wildc4rd
    Free Member

Just getting a feeling for this, as mrswildc4rd is now getting more comfy on her full suss/disc brake trail bike.

Not long after we first met I guess, I convinced her BPW was pretty good fun, and that we should head over there on the way past, as we were going to wales anyway.

We did Terry’s Belly and Blue Bell into Norkle in the morning, riding up and down. I then did a couple more runs in the afternoon while the other half chilled. Good day generally had by all, few ‘ohh bugger’ moments from the other half as the blues at BPW are a bit of a step up from smaller local blue trails.

More than anything now, other half is now interested to know the general feeling about me taking her to BPW on her rim brake/26″/Carrara hybridy MTB looking thing, and how much I should be repenting for this.

Sub-question, how many people have done Any of BPW on rim brakes?

Premier Icon malv173

You’re going to hell! 😉

Surely it’s actually a case of, if your wife had fun and stayed unhurt,  then it’s all good.

There was a woman riding the Steel City track in Greno,  Sheffield on Saturday on a skinny-wheeled commuter bike. She didn’t look like she was having fun.  Luckily she stayed the right way up, somehow.

On another side note,  I’ve never been to BPW despite growing up two valleys over.  I’d left long before it opened, but somehow still haven’t been!

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

That sounds awful, not to mention holding everyone behind you up. If that doesnt give her vibration white finger and carpal tunnel syndrome she ought to work in road construction.

Premier Icon wildc4rd
    Free Member

We were as good as could be about getting out of the way of faster riders in fairness, one of those things though, everyone starts somewhere..

Premier Icon kiksy
    Free Member

That sounds awful, not to mention holding everyone behind you up

Come on. Anyone going to a busy bike park has to accept catching up slower riders and being caught by faster ones.

Just part of the experience and hardly a chore.

To be honest if I saw someone on a Halfords special I’d give them a cheer and let them crack on.

Premier Icon kiksy
    Free Member

More than anything now, other half is now interested to know the general feeling about me taking her to BPW on her rim brake/26″/Carrara hybridy MTB looking thing, and how much I should be repenting for this.

I guess the main thing would be how well the rim brakes worked. If they at least allowed for controlled speed then I wouldn’t feel too bad.

Did it have suspension? My first bike had some ropey RST coil things that were worse than being rigid as they were so inconsistent.

Premier Icon argee

Why not hire one of the BPW bikes online and pick it up, seems a bit weird to spend 40 quid apiece on uplift and have a crap bike that will limit the day?

It could get her interested in getting a proper bike and doing rides longer term, think its about 65 quid for an all day hire of a full susser, they do women specific treks as well.

Premier Icon argee

Just re-reading your post, why, if she has a full susser with disc brakes does she want to take the carrera?

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

That’s what I thought – it’s a weird choice to make if she has a proper mtb already?

Premier Icon wildc4rd
    Free Member

That was a more recent addition (and we have since been there again, and other places), possibly sparking the thought that I was something of an asshat to just see what happened with the Carrera, lol.

Premier Icon davosaurusrex

Do keep up argee, you’ve read it twice now!

Premier Icon csb

Me and a mate took my now wife around the red bull at coedybrenin back in 2004, when she was on a rigid bike, vbrake and town tyres. She survived but has never forgiven me. We waited at the bottom of rock gardens for gods sake!

Premier Icon mikesbikes71

Extended Family holiday in the Brecons 4 years ago I’d heard good things about BPW so took my full suss around for a half day. Enjoyed it so much I convinced my nephew to come with me the next day. Only spare bike in the group was my Sister in laws rigid hybrid with rim brakes and 40mm slick tyres. I rode that most of the time. We only did blues but I was convinced I would flat at some point particularly on blue belle. Didn’t though and had a right hoot. Certainly made the trails come alive.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

The first time I went to Antur there was a young scouser there on an antique el cheapo full-sus, wearing a tracksuit with gaffa tape holding an assortment of pads in place. Seemed to be having fun! I was almost as ill equipped on my old Cotic Soul with Fox 32s up front…

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Get a Tinder pic and account ready.

Just in case op.😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.