Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BPW in the wet
  • bubs

Is it still fun and are there any trails best avoided in the rain?

warns74
    Free Member

You know it’s in Wales right? They’d be out of business by now if it wasn’t fun in the wet! 🙂

Lummox

Apart from one of the blacks which Is a bit more natural, I think it actually rides a bit better in the damp than mega dry.

Northwind

Still great tbh. One of the trails, maybe Half Cut, felt a little bit fally-aparty but it still rode fine.

Have you done a wet uplift before? The main thing is staying warm imo, you spend a lot of time standing about or sitting in the bus so your normal wet weather kit might not cut it.

kiksy
    Free Member

Designed to work well in the wet in my opinion. I rode it in the snow back in Jan and most of it was still fine (in some places even better!) Only issue I’ve had is with high winds rather than rain.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Ive ridden it in all weathers. Its pretty much spot on all the time, they do a great job of getting rid of standing water.

Cant think of a specific trail that gets wetter than others, maybe wibbly wobbly. Back end of Dai Hard gets a battering in the wet, that berm into the road gap is next to useless.

I’ve done it twice in the wet (and very cold) and once in glorious sunshine.

Fine in the wet, no struggle for grip – as said, hardest part is keeping warm.

Gets a bit sketchy when bone dry

cokie

Great fun in the rain. Never ridden it in the dry actually.
    I’ve had no problems on any of the trails. They drain well and there’s plenty of grip.

As above, just keep warm between uplifts. Pickup is exposed and it’s been windy.

bombjack
    Free Member

No probs in the wet, the rock gardens are a bit slippey when it gets biblical, but tbh id rather it was damp than dusty and loose.
    Merthyr is a bit like Wales answer to Melbourne in that you can quite easily get all 4 seasons in a day 🙂

SirHC

If it’s raining there is quite a lot of grip, if it’s damp/drying is when it gets slippy. Vicious valley has quite a few sniper roots, so watch out for them!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Only one I’d avoid in the wet is 50 shades, still rideable but some parts get a bit boggy. Bring spare brake pads though, if you get the full 15 runs you may get through a set or 2

I’m more wary of the wind up there, the jumps at the top before dropping into the woods have caught me out before

SirHC

if you get the full 15 runs

Most I’ve managed is 12, always riding top to bottom in one go. Going on Sunday, so will try and better my effort. Finding the buses are waiting until they are near full before going to the top, rather than setting off at regular intervals, unlike stiniog where they appear to run to a time.

superfli
    Free Member

Whats it like in the Dry? 🙂 (its always been wet when I’ve been there!)
    Take spare brake pads

splashdown
    Free Member

BPW…..what is this “Dry” of which you speak?…… 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

just be careful when riding over the rooty sections and you should be fine

nickc

I rode it in the snow back in Jan

ha me too, bloody ace was’t it? made no difference really, the trails were still a whole bunch of fun.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Apart from the first couple of weeks when it opened and the top layer of mud making it like riding Teflon coated ice its fine in the wet, even the roots don’t seem that slick.

If I’m completely honest the man made stuff in South Wales is best when it’s a bit damp, with little or no tree cover left there’s little soil on the trails and they get rocky when it’s been hot and sunny – were very spoiled of course, but when it’s dry it’s not rocky so much as a bit harsh and batters your hands.

milky1980
    Free Member

As others have said it’s fine in the wet. I’ve also done it in snow and it was fine then too. Dry is when it’s not fun, too easy to drift off-line on the marbles that are held in place with a bit of moisture giving it grip in the wet! Had my biggest accident there in bone-dry conditions 2 years ago, no grip whatsoever on the top section of Wibbly Wobbly. Landed a jump and the landing was like a bucket of small ball bearings and I just went off to the right and straight into a tree stump. Did a full 360 in the air and landed in a load of broken branches! The guys behind me were amazed I got up without a scratch, just a small headache to report.

maxtorque

It was bone dry today, fast, but you definitely needed to stay high up the berms and out of the 3″ of kitty litter than was sitting in the bottom of them 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BPW in the wet’ is closed to new replies.