• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by escrs.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BPW climbing routes
  • escrs
    Free Member

Taking the E-mtb to BPW soon, have 2.5 batteries for my bike so will be riding up all day

I know the beast of burden is one way up (C1 on the map) but what other ways are there to the very top that can be rode up?

Do they mind you riding up the fire road?
    I see there is a DH push up (C5 on the map) what is this like for riding up?

https://www.bikeparkwales.com/trails

Also which ones are the shortest/easiest etc… and anyone have links to them on ride with gps website?

Thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

Easiest is to follow the fire road that runs pretty much parallel to the beast of burden. You can’t miss it.

You can ride up the uplift road and some people do, but you’re exchanging a slightly flatter climb for more distance, seems a bit pointless with an e-bike.

1 tip is that it’s only about a 15 min ride from where Beast crosses the uplift road to where Terry’s, Hot Stepper and 50 Shades go into the woods (again, can’t miss it). The best ‘bang for buck’ if you’re pedalling up is to session these sections. You can ride all the way to the bottom but it’s a bit of a slog back to the crossing or you could pedal all the way to the top, but for those trails all you’re doing it riding for another 15 mins or so on fire road, to come back the same way on fairly featureless trails, not to say they’re not fun, but they’re not really worth the extra pedal.

Times are based on normal bikes, not e-bikes and probably a slightly rose tinted memory. With an e-bike you might as well ride to the top, it opens up a lot more of the park to you.

roverpig

Didn’t they ban Ebikes, or is my memory failing me again ?

chiefgrooveguru

They charge a bit extra for them.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Fire road is the quickest way. According to various e-bike riding people I’ve spoken to you’ll get about 6 complete runs from a full battery. Maybe more if you’re economical with the power.

JP

molgrips
    Free Member

P-Jay, I wouldn’t mind if you could put up an annotated map, as I cannot figure out where you mean from the one on the internet…?

therag
    Free Member

Another way is up the uplift road to where it flattens out, take a left, on a right hand bend up an old access road through old farm building ruins, you come out at the bottom of a470 & sixtapod. Turn right up the forest road and then again left up a mud road, eventually rejoining the uplift road near the top.
    I did a full trail climb last week in turbo in 16 mins. It’s a good climb and worth doing a few times.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers guys, will plot some routes up on ride with gps

Happy to use 25% battery for each climb and descent so will prob turbo up every time
    That will allow me 8 runs with my two 504wh batteries and ill have my 252wh battery extender fitted so will have a little extra

Have done Beast of Burden before but this time im planning on meeting friends at the top every time who are using the uplift so looking for the quickest routes up

oikeith

meeting friends at the top every time who are using the uplift so looking for the quickest routes up

Even on a quiet day the queuing and loading of bikes and the driver checking them takes a good 5-10mins before setting off up the hill. I reckon you’ll beat them to the top every time if you leave them when they join the queue.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If theres an uplift, why would you bring an e-bike? BPW is all about going down. Use the uplift, you get more downs per day and you get to sit in a van with a load of sweaty bikers for 10 minutes. Whats not to like?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Happy to use 25% battery for each climb and descent so will prob turbo up every time
    That will allow me 8 runs with my two 504wh batteries and ill have my 252wh battery extender fitted so will have a little extra

I’d be amazed if you used that much – the climb if you motor up it, is 20 mins.

If theres an uplift, why would you bring an e-bike? BPW is all about going down. Use the uplift, you get more downs per day and you get to sit in a van with a load of sweaty bikers for 10 minutes. Whats not to like?

Because, if you are reasonably fit, you can get as many runs in as the uplift, pedalling up.

With an E-Bike, I could get more runs than I could uplift, and I wouldn’t get fat.

cookeaa

why would you bring an e-bike?

Same reason he bought the thing, to make riding up hills easier, and (ignoring the price of the actual e-bike) it’s cheaper than paying for the uplift for about the same amount of descending?

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers guys, been to BPW many times and have spent a fair bit of time in the uplift vans over the last few years

Fed up of spending 2.5 hrs sat 3 up in a Transit van to get there, then spending half the day in a Transit with 14 other sweaty Mtb’ers, then spending 2.5 hrs sat 3 up in a Transit to get home

So this time im taking my own car and riding up, overall it will cost the same but ill not be stuck in a Tranny (ohhheerr!!!) all day

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BPW climbing routes’ is closed to new replies.