Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Bovril
  • dyna-ti

We use cow bung(the small intestine) for haggis.

I use to love making haggis. You’d get plucks in from the market so fresh they were still warm from their previous owner 😉

jamesco

Now lamb plucks are also in big demand at the moment, crazy but if all the animals had more innards the job would be in profit !

w00dster

When we were newly married and she still loved me, the wife would make me a nice cup of bovril for when I was cleaning the bike to warm me up….
    Now she just pops her head out of the window and tells me to clear up all the mud of the drive!!

dyna-ti

Now lamb plucks are also in big demand at the moment, crazy but if all the animals had more innards the job would be in profit !

😆

I’ll tell you the secret to good haggis. You need to take out all, or as much of the tubing from the lungs as possible.
    As they’re getting boiled and minced it doesnt matter how small you cut them into, so you track them right into the lungs and remove every bit that has cartilage in it, even down to a couple of mm across. Less cartilage equals less crunchy bits.

Drac

Got back into a few months ago so bought a jar, it’s been used more for cooking than drinking. It’s ace added to a chilli or spag bog.

Oh and the name is from Bovine nothing to do with horses it’s a beef stock.

jodafett

I’ve just bought some after reading this thread. I forgot how good it was!

It’s ace added to a chilli or spag bog.

I’ll have to give that a try. 1 teaspoon in the chilli?

dyna-ti

Oh and the name is from Bovine nothing to do with horses it’s a beef stock.

If thats directed at me then yes it is and originally was a beef product. I was just quoting the only section in wiki that showed its production method. Obviously it is made from beef boiled down to jelly paste.
    Much of wiki quoted its uses throughout history, but failed to say how it was made.

eg Shackleton and his team about lived on the stuff for months, and while we know what Shakletons hut looked like, the info in wiki provides a clue of what it smelled like 😉

tomd
    Free Member

My old work (big corporate type office) had it in all the coffee machines. Those old style Klix machines in an otherwise modern and gleaming office.

Turned out the CEO was fueled by the stuff and no other vending machine did it. I actually came round to it a bit as an alternative to the rank coffee the machine did.

Mugboo

Brought up on the stuff on toast and still choose it almost every time on toast. I remember when BSE kicked off, thinking as a family we are screwed!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bovril’ is closed to new replies.