Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bovril
  • slowoldman

Following a few recent cold and/or wet rides recently I seem to have developed a new craving.

nickc

They employ old smokers to cough into buckets and then reduce that down in boiled horse piss. The resulting sludge is used to make Bovril

Jamba-fact

crazyjenkins01

Cant beat a hot Bovril on a cold night!

petec
    Free Member

i’ve got back into bovril in the last month (got one on the go at the moment)

The family find it weird, but it’s hot, wet and meaty. What’s not to like?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I started drinking it recently.

I’d say product placement and advertising doesn’t effect me, but I only started because they started talking about it on the RetroPower weekly Youtube vlog.

myti
    Free Member

On toast yes. As a drink… Yuk!

fingerbang
    Free Member

I fancy getting into it (rock n roll) as always used to be my half time tipple at old Trafford. I’m a vege though is it meat?

Cougar

I’m a vege though is it meat?

Sadly yes, tis cow.

It went veggie for a while during the BSE crisis and tasted exactly how I remembered it as a child. If I’d known they were going to revert I’d have stocked up.

finbar
    Free Member

My uncle taking me to a Forest game on a freezing cold Boxing day that resulted in a nil nil draw and getting me Bovril at half time has led to a lifelong hatred of football. And Bovril.

sparkyrhino

Work outside,and have had a mug of bovvi most cold days in winter, for over 15 years.A Greggs sos roll dunked in is a reet nice treat

mudder
    Free Member

Just made a mug based on reading this thread.
    I always add some pepper 🙂

slowoldman

Sadly yes, tis cow.

How does Marmite compare? Veggie stock cubes or powder (e.g. Marigold)make a nice beverage too.

Cougar

How does Marmite compare?

As a drink? Speaking as someone who could eat Marmite out of the jar with a spoon: utterly disgusting, don’t do it.

Marmite is for the spreading, Bovril is for the (carnivorous) drinking. Don’t cross the streams.

puffballs
    Free Member

+1 for Bovril on buttery toast, or drizzled over a buttery jacket potato.. mmmm. I tried it as a drink once, never again.

Scapegoat

Add a shot of vodka and a drop of two of tabasco for a poor man’s Bullshot…..

kayak23

I disagree on the marmite. It makes an excellent drink.
    It’s a case of getting the consistency right is all.

stevious

Bovril on toast most mornings. Would happily be vegetarian otherwise

convert

Bovril – Marmite for those without standards.

StirlingCrispin

With or without milk?

Hogmonay a couple of years ago: at a very cold Stirling Albion v Cowdenbeath (Cows and beef) my son and I managed two Bovrils each before half-time.

There’s a Scottish football forum called Pie & Bovril.

chestrockwell

Marmite for toast/bread, Bovril to drink, the end.

Re-discovered Bovril after they started putting it in the drink machine at one of my meetings. Bought a jar and do enjoy a mug every now and they. The real stuff is far more hardcore than the powdered though.

Cougar

I disagree on the marmite. It makes an excellent drink.
    It’s a case of getting the consistency right is all.

It’s the correct consistency until you remove it from the jar.

The real stuff is far more hardcore than the powdered though.

Powdered… wait, what now? I’m offended by proxy.

jodafett

I’m a vege though is it meat?

Bovril – Bovine 😉

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Marmite as a drink is for winners. At the end of the jar I fill with hot water, swish round and drink.
    Bovril, not so sure on.

Pyro

One of the most popular drinks at the last feed station on one of the Ultramarathons I’ve worked on a bunch of times. By that point, everyone’s got sick of sweet, claggy energy food and has started getting salt cravings.

b230ftw
    Free Member

it’s hot, wet and meaty. What’s not to like?

That made me proper LOL! Thanks.

kelvin

Marmite is for the spreading, Bovril is for the (carnivorous) drinking. Don’t cross the streams.

The truth.

dti

Stale bread cubed in a bowl
    Bov, hot water, butter and pepper.
    Try it

dyna-ti

Bovril cubes when camping out in winter. Nothing like it 8)

MrPottatoHead

Had never thought of drinking it. Have recently developed a bit of love for it but mostly to smother over a chicken when roasting or beef to give it an even meatier flavour.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What ratios are people using? I tried it once and didn’t think much and I love marmite and similar

stevious

What ratios are people using?

1 spoon, the jar. Eat like Nutella

chestrockwell

Powdered… wait, what now? I’m offended by proxy.

Yep, in one or those drink making doobyferkins, used to call them Maxpax. It’s not quite as meaty, a little more ‘everyday’. Proper stuff ftw though.

convert

I tried it once and didn’t think much and I love marmite and similar

Good. You don’t need to go on ‘the list’.

slowoldman

I have now done a side by side comparison of Bovril and Marmite drinks. Not as big a difference as I imagined there might be but Marmite a bit too salty for my taste. Bovril more meaty (which is of course to be expected).

convert

Bovril more meaty (which is of course to be expected).

And when you say meaty, you of course mean lips, arsehole, brain and spinal cordy?

jamesco

Know a bit about the meat trade do we ?

sweepy
    Free Member

I like oxo cubes in water, handier for camping too

dyna-ti

Know a bit about the meat trade do we ?

I do, but in truth I’ve no idea how they make it.

Not sure I want to actually 😆

From wiki –
    ” During the Siege of Ladysmith in the Second Boer War, a Bovril-like paste was produced from horse meat within the garrison. Nicknamed Chevril (a portmanteau of Bovril and cheval, French for horse) it was produced by boiling down horse or mule meat to a jelly paste and serving it as a ‘beef tea’ “

maccruiskeen

With or without milk?

Au Lait – obviously

A nice frothy Bovachino, a dusting of grated cheese. Served in a cowhorn

jamesco

Well I don’t know how they make it either, but I work at the sharp end and I can guarantee that they don’t use lips arseholes brain or ‘spinecordy’ (sic) ! Lips are in big demand in some sectors as is cheek and other beef trim along with all offal, but brain and spinal cord is Cat 1 material for destruction only while ‘arseholes’ are Cat 3 , not for human consumption, although some intestines etc may go into pet food.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bovril’ is closed to new replies.