Boutique Hotel London (+ nice restaurant if possible) – Recommendations?

Home Forum Chat Forum Boutique Hotel London (+ nice restaurant if possible) – Recommendations?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Boutique Hotel London (+ nice restaurant if possible) – Recommendations?
  • deadlydarcy

Hoping to take Mrs Deadly to London in late May for her 40th for a day at some galleries, nice meal and night at a swish hotel. Babysitting is taken care of by our friends in London, so can tube it into the centre and have a nice afternoon and evening in town.

The usual hotel sites are just throwing up the same hotels – none of which is really sparking my interest – and some of the more interesting ones, I haven’t heard of. Anyone stayed anywhere really special lately that they’d like to share?

Anyone stayed anywhere really nice? I’d like to be able to eat in the same place if it has a good restaurant (with good veggie options too) but recommendations for a good restaurant would be great too – ie. somewhere we can book a few months in advance without having to know someone who knows someone.

I have no budget so will happily look at anything that isn’t ridiculous. 🙂 The original plan was to do Copenhagen/Amsterdam but dd junior logistical problems have put paid to that idea.

cbmotorsport

One Aldwych is very nice. It has ‘Axis at One Aldwych’ underneath which i’ve eaten in a few times, was very good all times, lovely service and food.

deadlydarcy

Cheers, cbm, I’ll check that out.

cbmotorsport

If you want to go crackers, go michelin starred. The Square is incredible for example, but £££. Some good hotels around there too.

You could look at Galvin at Windows this is superb and on the 28th floor of the Hilton Park Lane. Has a nice bar for pre/post dinner drinks too and an incredible view of London. HTH

Anyone stayed anywhere really nice?

Yes. The last time I stayed in a London hotel was for a special occasion as well. We went to The Goring. It was impeccable in every way. 🙂

Mr Woppit

The Middletons quite like this one, apparently…

http://www.thegoring.com/

EDIT: (Must type faster).

*Disclaimer – I stayed at the Goring before they appeared there!*

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

I liked the Chancery Court on Holborn. Grand entrance arch to drive into then step out of the car and have the valet park it for you. Made just the right start to a theater trip especially due to the location. The breakfast was fun too, had it in our room and the guy wheeled the trolley in and then unfolded various leaves until it was a pretty impressive spread.

Edit: Should have read the title, this isn’t a boutique hotel it’s just a big fairly fancy one.

deadlydarcy

I assume you mean the Rosewood RB? If you didn’t, then I happened upon it by chance. Looks awesome.

The Goring looks nice, but not really our thing.

BlindMelon

DD my Mrs loved the Levin

Home

Small hotel so no restaurant but its just behind Harrods and about 1min from the tube. Not sure if they let Munster fans in though 😀

EDIT – just realised they do dinner now.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Yes, I think I do. They changed the name since my stay which may have been four years ago now I think about it.

Mr Woppit

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    *Disclaimer – I stayed at the Goring before they appeared there!*

Allegedly.

Only place you could find where you could “park” your Brompton, presumably.

Legoman

Portobello House
    This place was lovely and less expensive than centre of town.
    Close to Portobello road/market, Notting Hill etc

Nice bar and good food too.

MrSmith

Zetters clerkenwell and bistro loubet (or any other restaurant round there like st John, Moro, Hix, Quality chop house, Modern pantry etc etc) and the town house st johns square for cocktails.
    or the malmaison near smithfield.

marp

bit of a curve ball here…. but there is the Shangri La in the shard which is due to open in May (if the rumours are correct). I imagine it might cost a few bob though…

The lanesborough is really nice if you want something a bit more classic, (although it never actually used to be a hotel, used to be a hospital!)

razorrazoo

Sanderson or St Martins Lane, both here.

Have stayed and eaten at the Sanderson and can recommend. St Martins Lane is supposed to be really nice too.

The Lanesborough is shut for a refurb.

Try the Halkin or any of the Firmdale Hotels

deadlydarcy

Wow. Great recommendations everyone. MrSmith, any of those you’d recommend above others?

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

May I be the first to suggest taking her up the Oxo Tower?

razorrazoo

Oh, and if you want to go somewhere else for dinner and like steak the Hawksmoor is the one to go for.

Nom Nom Nom

razorrazoo

alfabus – Member
    May I be the first to suggest taking her up the Oxo Tower?

Also very good. Great views if you ask to reserve a table by the windows.

WHOOOOOSH!

razorrazoo

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    WHOOOOOSH!

I assume how successful OP is with your interpretation may be based on mine being a success? 😉

deadlydarcy

It being a Friday, the thread making it to 18 posts before the OXO Tower was mentioned was a major bonus.

atlaz

Citizen M is quite an “interesting” hotel. I stayed there for work for a couple of nights once. Maybe not romantic stay material tho but a really good place for that part of London.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

😳 sorry :mrgreen:

I can’t really help much with hotels, but can wholeheartedly recommend the hawksmoor. Stunning steak (and this is coming from a confirmed steak snob).

Dave

bikebouy

Plateau – Canary Wharf

Fancy coming over my way (Canary Wharf)? if so Plateau has exceptional views and the food is most excellent too (we eat there quite regularly)
    Only thing not going for it is you would have to slum it on te tube or taxi over this way.. You may not want to do that but worth baring in mind for another time perhaps.

bikebouy

Locatellis restaurant

You could try Locatellis which is just fabulous..

And the reason no one has mentioned the OXO tower is cos’ it’s a bit shit. 😉

And the reason no one has mentioned the OXO tower is cos’ it’s a bit shit.

Always worth requesting a deep clean before taking anyone up the [b]Stop it now. Mods.[/b]

bikebouy

National Portrait Gallery Restaurant

Annnnnd another… worth it for the views and bang on Traf Sq

Mr Woppit

What shoes for taking someone up the Oxo Tower?

MrSmith

Wow. Great recommendations everyone. MrSmith, any of those you’d recommend above others?

quality chop house would be my favourite but they are all worth a visit, avoid Smiths of smithfield! it’s for chavs and people from essex/croydon who think fabric is cool.
    if i wanted to head into central then Bocca di Lupo. the Zetter town house is worth stopping off for a cocktail or morito in exmouth market for tapas.

Edit: just seen ‘vegetarian’ so St John’s nose to tail eating is best avoided. Moro might be more suitable as would Bocca di Lupo

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

St Martin’s Lane is very nice although the rooms are small. Great location for going out. We stayed there in December.

How about the Horseguards. Nice too?

The Oxo tower has a great view (of the Thames!! you smutty minds). Food is OK.

I also ate at the restaurant and the top of the Hilton near Green Park. Again great views and some surprisingly good food.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

I didn’t spot the veggie request… maybe not hawksmoor then…

Has anyone been to the restaurants in the Shard, yet?

http://the-shard.com/restaurants

Dave

deadlydarcy

Edit: just seen ‘vegetarian’ so St John’s nose to tail eating is best avoided. Moro might be more suitable as would Bocca di Lupo

Ta. Yeah, bit of a pain, and y’know, she never bothers where we eat so I think for her fortieth, I could make an exception and take her somewhere where they’ll do good veggie food.

deadlydarcy

Have just tweeted my vegan MP to ask as well. Cheers alfabus. (Btw, too late to add a smiley…I was only teasing about the OXO Tower recommendation. I knew someone would mention it. 🙂 )

aP

NOPI is quite fun. Lots of smaller plates of stuff that turn up seemingly randomly. Good vege selection, and the toilets are completely bewildering.
    Benares also has good vege food. There is an element of elderly rich white Euro to it though.
    Cinnamon Club was disappointing, unless you like overly sweet food.
    Its a shame that Roganic has gone as that was really quite something, and the vege and non-vege meals were given equal prominence and care, which is almost unheard of.

bikebouy

I’ve been to NOPI too, it’s most excellent.

There is another restaurant near Golden Sq, Soho (Lexington St) called Mildreds but you can’t book it, you have to queue but it’s bloody good veggie nosh, very rustic in feel yet refined and reasonably priced (which is against the Soho ethos) but is it for a 40th? hmmm maybe, maybe not.

razorrazoo

Another thumbs up for NOPI here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Boutique Hotel London (+ nice restaurant if possible) – Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.