Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bouncy Floor Joists – Help!
  • Vern0n
    Free Member

So i’m working my way round the new ‘old’ house and have a slight problem with the floor joists downstairs.

I removed a (decorative) brick fireplace and it looks like the support pillars under the floor joists have dropped a little at some point so now there is about 1/2 inch of bounce – i guess the weight of the fireplace was hiding this and they have risen up now it’s gone.

I am thinking it will be fine to just jack up the joists (assuming they are in good nick) and add a wedge on top of the original brick pillars to remove the gap.

I am hoping this has happened over a long period of time (house is 1930) in which case further movement should be mininal….
    Or should i call in the professionals for a more detailed survey / investigation of the problem!?

Would appreciate any suggestions?

creamegg
    Free Member

strip floor boards, investigate whats going wrong- could be rotten timbers, warped over time or the supporting wall could have subsided. Carry out remedial works as required

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t call professionals, they will recommend all kinds of solutions. Follow your instincts.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Thanks…

I have had a good look under the boards & joists. All seem to be fairly sound, no rot or anything like that.

Just not sitting firmly on the the supports. An eyeball investigation suggests that the supporting wall has dropped a wee bit.

It only affects the end support row, all others are sound.

But i want a floor that doesnt move so much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if its not damp or rotten

just resupport it .

if i stacked a heap of bricks on top of you for 80 years and then removed them i doubt you would return to the same height either !

Macavity
    Free Member

Have you experienced bouncey floor boards before?
    Nothing to be embarrassed about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2406651/Healthy-obesity-exists-say-scientists-physical-fitness-important-BMI.html

Vern0n
    Free Member

I’m just big boned

alibongo001

I had a bit of this in a property I renovated a few years ago.

Basically the extension had moved a little and allowed some slack in the joists. After checking online I fixed it by jacking up the joists with an acro-prop and then packed the bottom with slate, then dropped the joists back down.

It has been fine for 5 years so far since, with no further movement.

As others say if you think there is rot then poke around, if not slate is your answer!

Vern0n
    Free Member

Cheers ali, a friend (who built his own extension) had a look and also suggested this.

I think i will get me some slate.

What Slate For Joists Over Chalky Soil thread to start soon… 🙄

alibongo001

Welsh!

😆

toys19
    Free Member

Don’t call professionals, they will recommend all kinds of solutions. Follow your instincts.

Spat tea.

Vern0n
    Free Member

…actually – where is the bet place to get slate!?

spursn17
    Free Member

…actually – where is the bet place to get slate!?

Wales?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Next doors roof?

Vern0n
    Free Member

Wales, thanks, I will keep an eye out for any Bales

spursn17
    Free Member

I will keep an eye out for any Bales

I would, you’d make about 70mil profit on each one.

gears_suck
    Free Member

You might want to consider why the wall has sunk. This is definitely a bigger issue than the bouncy joists which are a result of a bigger underlying problem from what you describe.
    There could be a broken drain or some other reason there is subsidence. Either way jacking up and packing the joists is not a permanent solution unless you can confirm the subsidence has halted or been resolved.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bouncy Floor Joists – Help!’ is closed to new replies.