Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Bought yer Lympics tickets? Prepare to be ripped off even more…
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London 2012: Food and drink rules hit Olympics fans

Daddy, I’m hungry

That’ll be eighteen pounds fifty for that small burger, sir

Enjoy.

trailmonkey

who’d have thunked it ?

emsz
    Free Member

wow, really Elf, a shop? one of the sponsors?

not a massive surprise is it? shitty I agree, not a surprise though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vinnyeh

Big sponsorship really gives me the shits.
    Olympics, RWC, even the DH worlds.
    Nothing to stop the organisers calling time on this sort of stuff, except greed, egos and their own personal gravy trains.
    It’s not about the sports anymore, it’s about how much money vested interest groups can make from it.

footflaps

It is pretty outrageous banning water…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mmmmm McDonald’s.

What a load of shite though.

nickf
    Free Member

Makes me really quite glad that I didn’t manage to get any of the tickets…….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Emsz; it’s going to be the World’s biggest McDonalds, apparently.

Lasting legacy? Obesity, heart disease, mobility problems, etc….

Still, I don’t spose Lord Coe will care much, as he sits counting his £20 million he’ll ‘earn’ from being in charge of everything….

Stoner
    Free Member

theyre not banning water.

they’re banning fluids in excess of 100ml. Take a water bottle and help yourself to free water inside.

I dont agree with banning fluids, but while its still home office requirement for flights, and Olympic security will be run to similar levels, its not that surprising.

Aidan
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    London 2012: Food and drink rules hit Olympics fans

Daddy, I’m hungry

That’ll be eighteen pounds fifty for that small burger, sir
    Enjoy.

Once Cameron has introduced his fat tax, it’ll be £20.

bruneep

objects bearing trademarks or other kinds of promotional signs or messages (such as hats, T-shirts, bags, etc) which LOCOG believes are for promotional purposes,

So branded T shirts are not allowed?

emsz
    Free Member

Thing is though the olympics would be screwed either way. Can you imagine if they allowed people to bring in a picnic in a box, and some random fills one with dynamite.

binners

On a more positive note, it may lead to some dutch style ‘Ambush Marketing’

not quite the same as Newcastle style ‘Ambush Marketing’, but you can’t have everything. Though maybe we could have both

Stoner
    Free Member

believes are for promotional purposes,

only if above ^

theyre trying to prevent things like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/15/holland-ambush-marketing-fifa-dresses

EDIT: beaten to it.

emsz
    Free Member

thanks binners I’m trying to eat 😕

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like this bit too…

If ticket holders wish to buy food items within Olympic Park they will have to use cash, or a Visa card, one of the sponsors of the 2012 Games.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Take a water bottle and help yourself to free water inside.

Yeah, but can you imagine, if it’s hot; the queues for the two or three taps or whatever will be enormous, so people will resort to buying drinks. Kerching!

The only people genuinely benefitting from the Lympics are the big corporate commercial ‘partners’ and developers. Mind you, why that should be a surprise to anyone, I don’t know.

dont agree with banning fluids, but while its still home office requirement for flights, and Olympic security will be run to similar levels, its not that surprising.

Please. You sound like you’re working for them. 🙄

Oh….

‘Security’ my arse. It’s about making more money out of people, pure and simple. Why ban food? Why can’t people take their own sarnies in with them?

Can you imagine if they allowed people to bring in a picnic in a box, and some random fills one with dynamite.

TBH, it would be far easier to hide loads more explosives in trucks bringing catering supplies in. As it would be to carry yer deadly tupperware onto the Tube, or train, or bus, etc.

As I said, it’s not about ‘terrorism’. That’s just a smokescreen. It’s about forcing people to spend more money.

falkirk-mark

I am going to start packaging drinks in 100ml bottles (does not seem to be any limit on how many you can bring)

donsimon
    Free Member

Thing is though the olympics would be screwed either way. Can you imagine if they allowed people to bring in a picnic in a box, and some random fills one with dynamite.

If the picnic box is filled with dynamite they’d have to buy their food and water from the official provider, job done. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Why ban food? Why can’t people take their own sarnies in with them?

Do you actually read the stuff you link to, or make stuff up to suit yourself?

He said security, venue and police staff were still reviewing what could be carried in, including sunscreen and food.

“Where we are trying to get to is, if you come with a backpack with some sandwiches in, that won’t be a problem,” he said.

emsz
    Free Member

Mind you, why that should be a surprise to anyone, I don’t know

Elf my love, no one is at all surprised by it. Every-one here understands the Olympics are a way for some very large corps to make a load of money.

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the only people that actually got tickets were the sponsors or their guests anyhow so I’m sure the free champers will be flowing. I can’t say I’ll lose any sleep over this…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

objects bearing trademarks or other kinds of promotional signs or messages (such as hats, T-shirts, bags, etc) which LOCOG believes are for promotional purposes,

We went to Flamingo Land with friends a few weeks ago. Our friend was told she could not bring her van onto the premises because it bore advertising (she is an event organiser).

So she was directed offsite where she was told to park her car on the road (along with loads of other vans such as little one-man-band decorators and suchlike) then walk some distance back into the venue with her 2yr old child.

It’s madness I tell you!

mossimus
    Free Member

Most of the sessions are only a couple of hours long, will spectators really need food?

Having seen all the fuss about McD and Visa with their exclusive sponsorship deals. McD must love the fact that first thing you see when exiting Stratford station is a Burger King.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do you actually read the stuff you link to, or make stuff up to suit yourself?

I did read it. I jolly well have not made this up:

According to the current terms and conditions for Olympic ticket holders, items that cannot be taken into venues include:

Food, except baby food;
    Alcohol and soft drinks, except baby milk and medical supplies;
    Liquid in containers over 100ml;
    Bottles or glass containers;
    Flasks and thermoses.

Did you miss that bit?

So, what that bloke sez contradicts the current ticket terms and conditions. IE, no food or drink allowed in.

I can’t see the T+Cs being changed much really.

uplink
    Free Member

How on earth are they going to manage to screen 80,000 people in a reasonable time frame to prevent them bringing in pretty much what they want?
    Heathrow manages to process around 200,000 but they all don’t want to be there at the same time

Now I know all the sums will have been done and models analysed etc. but it’ll be one hell of an operation

EDIT: actually I think that Heathrow figure is for departures and arrivals so for augments sake [who’d have thunk it?], lets say Heathrow security checks 100,000 per day

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well thats easily sorted, simply liquidise your fave meal & put in some baby food jars. Doesnt seem to say you have to have a rugrat with you does it?
    Liquidised steak, chips & onion rings anyone?

binners

The worst thing about the whole thing is that it’ll be like Wembley. And watching an England international nowadays is pitifully embarrassing for different reasons than just the team being utter gash!

What must the world think when they see the best seats in the house are all empty as the second half kicks off because all those on a corporate jolly simply can’t be arsed leaving the bar

What, Rupert? We’ve missed the mens 100 metre final? Not to worry, its only those coloured chaps running anyway. More Krug Tarquin?

dave360

Yes, there will be only two water taps for the whole olympics. You heard it here first. mmm baby food.

vinnyeh

Now I know all the sums will have been done and models analysed etc. but it’ll be one hell of an operation

So it seems.

More than 600,000 ticket holders to the Olympic volleyball tournament will have to queue in pens for up 90 minutes because of congestion around the venue, a confidential report warns.

Spectators will be corralled on the forecourt of the Earls Court exhibition centre to cope with a jam getting to the Tube station.

Traffic marshals will be unable to clear a path for them because the flow of vehicles in Warwick Road cannot be interrupted, as it is a designated
    Olympic lane prioritising official vehicles.

Not sure how they’ll be managing food and drink for that.
    Still, the Zil lanes will be clear.

Harry_the_Spider

How on earth are they going to manage to screen 80,000 people in a reasonable time frame to prevent them bringing in pretty much what they want?

With lots of security staff and tables to empty your bags on. They did it at the 2002 Games in Manchester for 38,000 visitors without much agro.

binners

Ssssssssssssh Harry! Don’t spoil it. Let them keep thinking that only people within the M25 can actually organise anything.

You’ll be mentioning that all the Commonwealth games venues came in ahead of schedule and under-budget next. And imagine what that’ll do to their fragile ickle ego’s

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

80,000 is just one stadium. There are several other arenas in the main Lympic complex. They’ll be dealing with a lot more than 80,000 people per day, trust me.

Oh, and hardly any of the staff will actually be sufficiently trained in crowd control, security procedures etc, as most of them will be volunteers. ‘Providing jobs for locals, yay!’. Er, yeah, just not paid ones…

uplink
    Free Member
    ocrider

…but there will be other non-branded caterers selling a wider range of [b]branded[/b] food and drinks, including some poor relation to alcohol….

FTFY LOCOG

binners

They are creating jobs Fred. That vintage Bollinger isn’t going to pour itself into those fat corporate sponsors glasses now is it? No…. we’ll be needing an army of minimum wage lackeys for that. Luckily with student fees going up to 9 grand a year shortly after the Olympics, there will be an army of slave labour students ready to step in

dave360

A 90 minute wait to clear security? Ever flown into Stansted?

uplink
    Free Member

Ever flown into Stansted?

Why on earth would anyone do that?

emsz
    Free Member

I really don’t get the whole “it’ll be shit” attitude that some people have, just think of all the athletes training hard to do really well, wanting to represent their country, couple of weeks ago I was at the rowing lake, and spoke to a few of the guys there, and they were are super excited about it all, and wanted it to look *perfect* for the whole world to see, you could see they were just bursting to start.

I can’t wait, I know all the crap about the corporations like Coke and MaccyD, but that’s what anythings like these days isn’t it.

I know a couple of guys from my running club who’ve put their names forward to volunteer, and I’m going to be glued to the box and shouting for every UK runner, and jumper, and horse rider, and cyclist, and every one else, and I want all the people coming here on holiday to go home and say “It was fantastic”

Jamie
    Free Member

Why on earth would anyone do that?

To get back in the country?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Bought yer Lympics tickets? Prepare to be ripped off even more…’ is closed to new replies.