Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • bought ebay bike that has dodgy frame number
  • bukobuko
    Free Member

The frame number has been clearly messed with so you cant read two or three of the numbers, I think selling it on might be a problem, anyone had this? and what does ebay do if I reported it?

bukobuko
    Free Member

frame number

ajantom

Jeez, that’s a lot of numbers on the BB!

Looks like it’s been fiddled with. I suspect eBay will say contact seller to return it and get a refund. Do you trust them to refund you? Or accept the bike back? Probably not!

It becomes an issue when the police come knocking, repossess the bike, and you’re left with nowt. Might happen, or not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superstu
    Free Member

I’d raise it as an issue with eBay.

srshaw
    Free Member

Left side in particular looks like its been attacked by a dremmel. I think i’d be thinking of returning that. I certainly wouldn’t buy that.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Isn’t that just normal damage you’d get from a chain coming off? I’ve got similar damage on my bikes, both side too from hitting logs etc

lotto
    Free Member

Looks like normal wear and tear to me. Chain drop, rock strikes etc.

bukobuko
    Free Member

I’ve asked for a refund and for the seller to arrange a courier to pick it up if that doesn’t work out its opening a case through ebay, its a crosstrail Hybrid so doubt its rock strikes although this could be argued, one of the numbers has been deleted with a small chisel.

So heads up before you click to buy now make sure you ask for the Frame Number first.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Its does indeed have way to many numbers lol, Another photo

cyclistm
    Free Member

I was going to guess a specialized.

The frame looks like it’s cracked where it’s been chiseled.  Good luck reporting/returning it.

bukobuko
    Free Member

simondbarnes

its a crosstrail Hybrid

I’ve seen people properly offroad on those. Anyway, the first letters of the frame number are WSBC, the numbers on the LHS of your pic aren’t the frame number. It appears the your frame number is WSBC608230269G which is a 2012 Crosstrail Sport disc. Hope this helps.

srshaw
    Free Member

I really can’t see how the drive side could get so damaged with horizontal scratches with the chainset being there. The NDS with vertical scrapes maybe.

paule
    Free Member

Aren’t the other numbers a postcode? Police stations used to (and may will still) stamp and register frames with that.

simondbarnes

I think selling it on might be a problem

You’re worried about selling on a 6 year old bike worth less than £100 that you’ve bought 2nd hand? Blimey.

CHB

That looks like rock strikes to me, not deliberate serial number removal. With most stuff the identifying digits are at the end of the sequence, so the fact that the only digits truly damaged are at the lowest point on the BB tells me this is down to use rather than theft.

Poopscoop

Be interesting to know sellers response.

Has he a large and 100% feedback?

Does he sell a lot of bike stuff or is this a one off?

I personally think there is a good chance there is nothing dodgey going on here at all.

Though seller should have pointed out damage to BB shell imo!

tomhoward

Looks like usage damage to me. If they were Going really remember be the serial no they’d grind more off and paint over…

tomhoward

Not sure what happened there/\

If they were going to grind off the serials they would have made a better job of it then painted over the work, basically.

edd

Agreed with newrobdob, CHB and tomhoward. It looks like fair wear and tear to me, it is after all a 6 year old bike.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve had BB shells that look worse, had nowt to do with me attacking them with a dremel and everything to do with rock strikes!

bukobuko
    Free Member

simondbarnes THANKS How did you find that out?

The rock strikes have just hit the numbers funny that, I know is only an old bike but I like to be riding a bike that’s not been messed with and I can sell on without a problem.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Seller said it was stolen recovered a few years back local police say it not worth looking in to with the amount of newer bikes getting stolen all the time . So I’m keeping the parts and getting new frame as this one was to big for me anyway, I’ll just flog it on again or make a single speed pub bike.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘bought ebay bike that has dodgy frame number’ is closed to new replies.