Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Bought a cracked frame from STW classifieds
  • hora
    Free Member

I must admit when I saw the for sale pics I thought that frames been very well loved/flogged around every trail/etc.

I dont get how that crack was missed. When I strip a frame/when cleaning it to post etc…you spot things.

Tom-B
    Free Member

You’ve had plenty of practice though hora 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Oh aye.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I dunno, the seller was unaware of the crack, which as I understand it only showed up after the paint was stripped off?

And it had a press BB? Are you sure you didn’t crack it removing the old one??

granny_ring

Pink Bike, say no more…….

renton
    Free Member

I wonder what the seller of the frame has to say about all this!

hora
    Free Member

Quisto?

andyrm
    Free Member

I can recommend someone very good to weld and heat treat the frame. Email on my profile.

konabunny
    Free Member

But the frame was sold as seen.

Just to pick up what other people have said before – it wasn’t sold as seen, it was sold as not having cracks in it. Buyer beware, caveat emptor and sold as seen don’t mean “nothing the seller says can be relied upon”. If the Seller didn’t want to be held to statements like “there are no cracks”, s/he shouldn’t have made them or should have said “I don’t see any cracks”. And, on a practical note, the Buyer should have examined it more carefully when picking it up, even if it was awkward to keep the flatmate waiting; it’s a lot easier to not give money than it is to get it back…

hora
    Free Member

I can recommend someone very good to weld and heat treat the frame. Email on my profile.

I was speaking to an ex-Lapierre owner this week. He had a crack in his BB shell 2months after his warranty expired. He also found tiny hairline cracks at the front of the triangle. For a crack to happen there must be other forces throughout the frame IMO.

Disagree konabunny. I once bought a set of forks, met the sellers girlfriend in a deserted dark and raining football stadium carpark. I placed the forks in the boot of the car. Totally on their own. Got home and realised there were huge scratches down the stanchions on one side. From the pics you can see scratches corresponding on the lowers (that lead into the stanchion as though the bike had had a slide on rocks) but the stanchion part was obscured in the pics….just out of angle/shot well.

Seller tried ‘buyer beware/should have inspected properly’ but I disagreed. That was a regular STW’er.

I’m sorry I still can’t grasp how the seller stripped a frame and missed that. I really can’t. If you are the buyer and in a rush- yes but a seller would spot it. Maybe the seller really needed the money for a new frame and was gambling on the buyer sucking it up as its a private sale?

Only see that crack with the paint off? No you’d have seen THAT crack – it’d crack straight through the frame. You’d also have FELT it with the BB. I wonder if the press fit cup just falls in and out of the BB easily?..

Sorry seller, I don’t believe. you.

wwaswas

I still can’t grasp how the seller stripped a frame and missed that

because they left the BB in and didn’t take the paint off the frame?

Now some people are suggesting that the BB was left in deliberately but we don’t know that.

iolo
    Free Member

Why does the OP call this thread “Bought a cracked frame on STW classifieds. “

He didn’t. He bought it on pinkbike.
    If he can’t get that fact right what else can we believe?

Drac

If he can’t get that fact right what else can we believe?

Humble pie.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lapierre-zesty-frame-only-need-gone

iolo
    Free Member

Ok. But the op referenced pinkbike in this thread.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

it wasn’t sold as seen, it was sold as not having cracks in it

It was sold as seen. No warranty was express or implied. If it had fallen to pieces in the car on the way home you would be stuffed. The fact you bashed a BB out and stripped it of paint means you are well and truly stuffed.

You had the chance to inspect it and walk away. You didn’t. Better luck next time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It was sold as seen with the seller stating clearly it had no cracks

FinishedTFY

I doubt there will be much comeback but the claim it was not cracked is untrue

I cannot say yes the tv works its fine and sell it as seen. If it has no inards I can hardly then blame them for not taking it apart and testing every electronic component

It depends and as usual STW wont do nuance and need sit black and white

the claim no cracks gives some hope but the seller turned up in person and purchased so this weakens the case

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s always easier to blame someone else than to sit down and have a good look at what you did.

In this case it’s that the frame was not inspected properly. If it was a nearly new frame you’d give it a cursory glance. Something that has been shagged smooth needs a good going over.

joefm

Why did you not see that crack? It would have been visible through the paint at that size.

How did you remove the bb?

dannybgoode

@JY – Not quite correct in this case.

Seller sold frame as having no cracks (we do not know exactly how this was phrased) and buyer goes to collect, inspects and agrees no cracks pays money, takes bike.

Buyer gets bike home, knocks out press fit BB and has frame stripped for a repaint and sees crack in frame.

Where is the concrete evidence that the seller lied.

They may have lied, they may honestly described the frame not being aware of the defect or the frame may have been absolutely as described and it has been damaged when in the custody of the buyer.

As others have said have the buyer got home and seen the crack and contacted the seller straight away they would be in a stronger position but with the work they have carried out how can they prove that the damage was not caused by them?

Scenario – you sell some forks and advertise them as no scratches on the stanchions. You have cared for them well, you have never seen any scratches on the stanchions. You even have a good look around them before shipping them and nothing.

The buyer contacts you and says excuse me, these forks are scratched to buggery, marks all over the stanchions. You say eh, no not those forks. The buyer responds – definitely there mate. Noticed them when I stripped them down to service them.

What would your response be?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m going to give the seller a call after work and see what he says.

He has agreed that the crack was there before he sold it to me (after seeing the stress cracks), and that he should have properly cleaned the bike up and given it a propper looking over before I came to pick it up.

I should have spotted it before picking up and stripping the paint, my mistake.

iolo
    Free Member

So you haven’t spoken to him about this yet?
    What kind of crazy guy are you?
    It’s far easier to give him a slagging on the internet isn’t it.
    He has told you you get a refund. What is the problem? Why are we even discussing this? Are you that bloke who set up the antisuperstarcomonents.com website?

Junkyard
    Free Member

hese forks are scratched to buggery, marks all over the stanchions. You say eh, no not those forks. The buyer responds – definitely there mate. Noticed them when I stripped them down to service them.

What would your response be?
    apologise, say i was unaware then negotiate a discount or refund just as i would if i sold a cracked frame that I was unaware of.

xiphon
    Free Member

So you haven’t called the seller yet?

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t tell you to shove the refund where the sun doesn’t shine after this thread!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’ve only been in contact through text’s (which he now ignore’s). Like I said I will give him a call tonight to try and speak to him and sort this out, hardly slagging him off to the internet 😕

I only started this after 6 weeks of waiting for the refund he said he would give me.

nealglover
    Free Member

So you haven’t spoken to him about this yet?
    What kind of crazy guy are you?
    It’s far easier to give him a slagging on the internet isn’t it.
    He has told you you get a refund. What is the problem? Why are we even discussing this? Are you that bloke who set up the antisuperstarcomonents.com website?

Have you even bothered to read this thread or did you just join in at the end ??

yorkshire89
    Free Member

neal – He’s been in the thread right from the start of it, I think he just failed to take most of it in…

edd

After stripping the paint and removing the BB I noticed a crack in the BB shell that I couldn’t see while it was still painted.

This quote is from the opening post. I still don’t understand how people are expecting the seller to have known about the crack if it took the removal of the BB and stripping the paint to find it.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Its not that it wasn’t visable, its just that I didn’t spot it at the time before stripping the paint.

I didn’t word it well, but I can’t edit the post now 😳

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve taken it all in. I cannot see how this could be any fault of the seller. The op has been in communication with text. Hasnt called to speak. I can imagine the seller got a bit peeved. The buyer osted on here to cry about his loss and get a bit of sympathy. Didnt get it. Please feel free to change any of this if untrue.

mikey3
    Free Member

If u didn’t spot it how do you know it was visible? ,not being funny tho,i would be a bit miffed too if I were you.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

mikey3, I guess you would have seen the split on the edge of the BB shell, if not the whole crack.

It was easy to miss picking the frame up though, which is why I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Just tried to call him now, call declined after a couple of rings so have left him a message to give me a call to sort this out.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve taken it all in. I cannot see how this could be any fault of the seller. The op has been in communication with text. Hasnt called to speak. I can imagine the seller got a bit peeved. The buyer osted on here to cry about his loss and get a bit of sympathy. Didnt get it. Please feel free to change any of this if untrue.

You probably believe that’s the situation.
    That’s the main thing.

iolo
    Free Member

Is there another version I missed?

DezB
    Free Member

he had his LBS fit the BB because he didn’t have the correct tools and they never mentioned anything to him

Likely ?

nealglover
    Free Member

Is there another version I missed?

Well, you missed …..

All the reasons why it’s unlikely the seller didn’t know about the crack.
    The fact that it was specifically described as not having any cracks.
    The seller promising a refund and then failing to provide one.

And despite saying he didn’t get any, you also missed all the sympathy that the buyer has got from people agreeing with him.

wwaswas

Could we not just have a whip round?

I’d put in a £1 if it meant this thread died a long overdue death.

dannybgoode

Could we not put the matter before the STW kangaroo court and let the jury decide.

Bit like Judge Judy – we can then all arbitrate on any grievances between buyers and sellers and decisions will be binding (as opposed to the current position where we all arbitrate but the decisions and comments mean **** all?)

Whether a consensus would ever be met on any given case is unlikely but we could go with a majority decision.

Cheers

Danny B

dooosuk
    Free Member

The fact that it was specifically described as not having any cracks.

I must of missed something…neither the advert on STW or the one of Pinkbike explicitly states no cracks.

hora
    Free Member

On reflection- the crack. Does it sit ‘under’ the swing arm?

See the bolt through body on the swing arm? It looks like the swing arm may obscure the cracked BB.

Possible?

ton

just go round and tw*t the bloke……bit of self satisfaction goes a long way….. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Bought a cracked frame from STW classifieds’ is closed to new replies.