Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bottomless tokens in a Monarch – where to start?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Got a Monarch shock on a great deal from Airdrop Bikes recently and having used it several times now I think it needs some volume reducers popping in. So, a pack of 9 purchased, but now what? Any good pointers on where to start? Will 4 do it? 2? All 9? They don’t seem very large, so I’m figuring you need quite a few to get any noticeable difference, but let me know if that’s a wrong assumption.

I just want to avoid the faff of workshop time, test, repeat.

Thanks!

carlos
    Free Member

4 worked for me

Monarch Debonair on Nomad 3
    82kg in kit with 25 – 30% sag (think psi was 215-220)

Lots of small bump sensitivity and ramped up nice on the larger drops/jumps, but in the end I sacked it off for an X2 as I had no end of issues with it needing to be sent off under warranty.

Depends how easy your getting through the travel. Maybe start with 3??

Rickos
    Free Member

On the bigger hits it does feel quite linear at the moment. Does adding just one make quite a difference?

carlos
    Free Member

IME one didn’t seem to make much difference on its own, but going from 3 to 4 was my sweet spot.

At one point I did actually add/remove them out on the trails. Its a ball ache but only really takes 10 mins

Rickos
    Free Member

I can see how one would make a noticeable difference at the critical point. Assuming my shock has none in to begin with, I think I’m gonna go with 4 or 5 and see how that feels. I think I’d rather go over the top to begin with just to be sure what it feels like on the other side of the sweet spot.

Thanks for replies so far.

mark90
    Free Member

I run 4 in the monarch debonair RC3 on my Aeris. A mates runs I think 4 or 6 on his Airdrop, same shock. So 4-5 is probably the right ball park

I found generally added/removed the bands in at least 2’s when tuning mine as the difference with one was minimal. Having run with none initially I also ran with 8 or 9 so experience the other extreme and then zero’d in on my sweet spot, kinda bracketing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bottomless tokens in a Monarch – where to start?’ is closed to new replies.