Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bottomless tokens after shock upgrade
  • phil5556

I have a Yari that’s just been upgraded to Debonair, +20mm travel and Charger RC2.

I previously had 2 tokens in it.

Today I’m out playing with bike setup, it’s also now on a new bike, so lots of changes.

Is the general wisdom to start with no tokens now I’ve got the better internals? I’ve taken one out and I think it feels better and will try taking the other out too and / or drop the pressure by 5psi but just wondered if there was a role of thumb for base settings?

Cheers

phil5556

OK so I’ve just found the HSC was all the way to + which might have something to do with my disappointment with my fork.

I’ll try again with it open!

(I’m sitting on the bike in the rain typing this).

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, yes start with the HSC all the way off and add some as you need it.

There are RockShox docs which show the recommended tokens for a given length of travel, I find them to be accurate.

phil5556

Yeah it feels much better already and I’m no longer grumpy! 🤣

clubby

More travel, definitely remove a token or two. Can’t see the damper upgrade making a difference as the token only affects the air spring.

I generally remove them as a matter of course and add back in if harsh bottoming is an issue, which given my (negative) level of radness it usually isn’t.

phil5556

Cheers.

It feels good now with no tokens and fully open.

I’ll have a play with the compression a bit now 👍

I was struggling to find a chart relating to it as it’s not a standard fork anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️

joebristol

I’d use the Lyrik guide rather than Yari as you have a newer air shaft and charger damper.

I think sram tech docs on a 150mm fork is 1 or 2 tokens – but that’s just ballpark.

I’d probably start with no tokens and all damping fully open. Get the air spring setup ballpark – maybe aiming for 25% sag ish.

Then setup rebound so it’s as fast as it can be without being a pogo stick.

Then ride and see how it goes. If it’s banging hard through all the travel and bottoming out I’d add a token and try again.

Once that’s dialled in if the bike is bobbing a bit then add lsc.

If you find you’re too deep in the fork too often for your liking, but not bottoming out as such, then add some hsc.

phil5556

@joebristol cheers.

I’ll be back out tomorrow but was pretty happy with it in the end yesterday.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.