Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottoming out a form….. Long term damage?
  • alpin
    Free Member

The other week I hit a big drop and my fork bottomed out. Afterwards it would blow through its travel too easily and left me squirming around over the front of the bike.

Have since released the air and reset the pressure, but not had the chance to put it properly through its paces.

Could I have done some damage to the internals?

2016 36 FIT for what it’s worth.

Going to get it serviced in December.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

It’s perfectly normal to bottom your fork out every now and again. Take it apart if you’re concerned – it’s not difficult.

JP

chakaping
    Free Member

Just get it serviced now if the damping is still playing up when you ride again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

you probably need triplicate-clamps if you’re doing big drops

feed

It is possible to do damage obviously, but long term ? Only if you don’t get the damage repaired (if there is any).

feed

Bottoming out a form….. Long term damage?

Actually, what I meant to say was, it looks like the “k” in your fork has gotten knocked over sideways and been bent out of shape 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

Ok, yeah, bottoming out the form happens occasionally, but this time round I felt a hard “dong” noise. I even stopped thinking something had happened to the frame.

Is there some sort of blow out valve on a 36?

The fork just felt really odd afterwards. Ended up using a mini pump to get some pressure back into the fork (had forgotten to take the shock pump with me) but it didn’t feel right, like it was blowing through the travel too easily.

feed

I did similar years ago on a fox 36 and was similar feeling but springing back really quickly. Apparently I snapped the rebound rod (which I assume is one of the rods that go down inside the leg). wasn’t an expensive repair. Can you not tell if it feels “normal” just pumping it ?

Also, you could just drain the oil in each leg and replace with the correct amount in case a lack of oil is causing an issue. Very easy job (in case you haven’t done it before).

squirrelking
    Free Member

this time round I felt a hard “dong”

fnaar…

submarined
    Free Member

No, it’ll be fine. Have you pumped it up with a shock pump since?
    I’d wager the reason it feels weird was because you pumped it up with a ‘normal’ pump to the right order, and when you disconnected it, it let off a shedload of air and dropped the pressure down loads.

I frequently bottom out my 16 36s. Sometimes pretty hard. Pump up with a shock pump, ride on dude.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottoming out a form….. Long term damage?’ is closed to new replies.