Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottom bracket shell defect
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

This is a bit premature because I’ve not heard back from the company yet but I’ve recently bought a new frame and the drive side threads in the bb shell are a bit squashed for want of a better word and this is preventing the bb cup from threading in. It’d definitely strip the threads if I put any force behind it. It’s not all of the threads, just at the start, so is there anything that could be done to fix it without having to send it back? I have no fancy tools, nor do I want to buy any but I’d like to avoid the hassle and delay of returning it.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> </span>Bb threads

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Tried posting a photo of it but hasn’t worked unfortunately

bigyan
    Free Member

You get BB taps to chase the threads, most bike shops/workshops will have a set.

It cant add material but can clean out and sometimes straighten slightly damaged threads.

If its just light damaged I would phone your LBS and see if you can bring in a frame to get the BB shell chased, consider getting it lightly faced at the same time.

escrs
    Free Member

Id wait and return it to where you bought it from

Any attempt by you or any other shop to rectify the problem and the attempt fails. the place you bought it from could refuse to replace the frame

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the threads are just a bit off at the start then I’d take it to a LBS and get them to chase the threads. I can’t see it invalidating the warranty, given its a farly standard procedure.

hardtailonly

Obvious question … But you’re aware that the DS is reverse-threaded?

PJay
    Free Member

bigyan
    Free Member

If it was mine I would just run a BB tap through it so I could go ride my bike.

Correct thing would be to contact the manufacturer, they may want it back for inspection, or may be willing to pay for the repair at a shop if you email them the invoice.

If you take it to a shop remove the other BB cup.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Easily fixed in 5 minutes at a bike shop with the right tools for a packet of hob nobs (Not really.). It will cost less than shipping costs of frame back and return again. Hopefully the supplier sees it the same way.

Hard to tell from the photo but if it’s just that one obvious divot and you did want to do it yourself. You could flatten that small section down to the root of the threads with a bull nose fine cut burr, without any loss of strength, but that would not be the best way to fix it and a slip could screw you up royally. Assuming you don’t have a tool like this to hand, you would be better giving your money to a bike shop.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Thanks for sorting out the pic pjay. I ended up taking it to a bike shop who used the right tool and the bottom bracket is now fitted. The manufacturer has offered to pay the cost and I don’t think they’ll baulk at 5 pounds so it’s all worked out well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket shell defect’ is closed to new replies.