Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bottom bracket height bike hack
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I have an older full suspension frame that rides really well, its a horst link rear end with a coil shock and tracks the ground brilliantly. Only problem I had with it is the bottom bracket height is relatively high at around 14″ static, 13.5″ sagged. I tried offset bushings but they won’t fit with the rear shock linkage so I came up with a fantastic solution. The cranks I’m using have a splined interface on one side. Instead of mounting them diametrically opposite each other I have mounted them offset by about 10 degrees so that with my leading foot forward they point down in a ‘V’ shape givig me an effectively 1″ lower bottom bracket height. As a bonus, if I’m hitting a techie rocky section I switch my feet around and bingo! I now have 1″ higher pedal clearance.

tmb467
    Free Member

Does this belong in the Viz top tips section?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Makes perfect sense to me. The logical next step would be eccentric oval chainrings.

jam-bo

Just run 24” wheels.

Bez

Or just fit some of these.

Bez

By the way, your idea isn’t even new. Splat The Cat did the same thing so he could reach the pedals on his ordinary.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+100 high level thinking points.

keir
    Free Member

Specialized tried this on the Stumppumper concept pumptrack bike

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-stumppumper-concept-bike-2012.html

Stevet1
    Free Member

Specialized tried this on the Stumppumper concept pumptrack bike

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-stumppumper-concept-bike-2012.html

Started this as a bored joke thread but good to see someone has actually done it!

tazzymtb

have you had the royal navy maintenance crew working on it?

tmb467
    Free Member

I did like the oval chainrings idea

otsdr
    Free Member

Splat The Cat did the same thing so he could reach the pedals on his ordinary.

Yet in the animated version he prefers to abnormally elongate his legs:

scotroutes

greyspoke – Member
    Makes perfect sense to me. The logical next step would be eccentric oval chainrings.[b]wheels[/b]

😉

otsdr
    Free Member
    stuey
    Free Member

Those pedals are brilliant – variable crank length depending on position in cycle – wish I could try some.

shermer75
    Free Member

Started this as a bored joke thread but good to see someone has actually done it!

I genuinely believed you had tried it! Was gonna ask what it was like to pedal lol

Alpha1653

How did I never spot that mistake in the Navy video?!?! Amazing 😆

cookeaa

have you had the royal navy maintenance crew working on it?

Better yet, is he undoing a QR with a combi ratchet spanner?

No wonder the navy needs to recruit…

Bez

Those pedals are brilliant – variable crank length depending on position in cycle – wish I could try some.

Looks to me like they put the upper surface in line with the bearing axis, so they’ll actually remove the variable effective crank length that normal pedals will give.

cookeaa

Couldn’t help myself, yep just had a quick watch on YouTube, he appears to be applying effort to undo the nut on his skateboard truck (counter clockwise), except there’s the sound of a ratchet and having apparently done nothing to the thing, gives the wheel a little spin just to check… Well something I suppose.
    Then having scooped a dollop of grease out of a tin, our expert mechanic again rotates a (again audibly ratcheting) spanner 1/4 turn counter clockwise before rotating his wonky cranks…
    He then appears to plug in a spark plug connector and then turns an ignition key…

The lads on a roll so they then turn him loose on Her Majesty’s fleet…

We should be losing a vessel a week if that’s a true representation of things…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket height bike hack’ is closed to new replies.