• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Bottom bracket boost vs std woes, pls help!
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

I am building a bike for a mate.

i have got the frame and BB together, a cube reaction tm 2018

this https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/mountainbike/hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-tm-greynblack-2018/

it has a pressfit internal bearing bottom bracket, so no external width at all, bar a couple of mm of plastic lip.

the bottom bracket shell is 93mm

the frame has 148 boost spacing at the rear.

The BB spindle diameter is 24mm standard (ie not 24/22)

We are setting it up single ring front with 11 speed sram standard gearing

The old owner is adamant they had standard Raceface aeffect 24mm cranks in there…. which i cant find for love or money….

but i tried standard shimano HT2 cranks, they fit with a spindle length of 120mm, but the crank arms hit the rear stays as the stays flare quite widely to give clearance for wider tyres. The other problem with the std shimano cranks of old is the chain line. without the ability to move the chainline with the BB (pressfit internal remember) the chainline on 4 bolt 104 bcd cranks is either far to outboard, or also hits the frame if mounted inside the arms…

So we need the boost specific chain ring to give us the 3mm inboard spacing for the best chain line, which limits us to sram or cinch fitting chainrings….. there are very few cranks that fit this criteria imho

have tried boost cranks(ebay seller couldnt measure the spindle properly), unsurprisingly there is 40mm of spare spindle poking out…

arrrrgggghhhh

What to do?

take out the BB, get another press fit bb with maybe external bearings then put in boost cranks? im sure the chainline will be terrible?

are there 24mmx120mm spindle cinch or sram chainring fitting cranks out there? (ideally sell me some pls)

or anything else i can do?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket boost vs std woes, pls help!’ is closed to new replies.