Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bottles of isopropyl alcohol in high street chemists?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Can you still find them, or have they been nanny stated away?

riddoch

I got my from a RS trade counter didn’t think to try the chemists.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Maplin’s have it:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=Isopropyl+Alcohol+1+Litre

Edit: I appreciate they are not a chemist, but they are usually on the high street

Rubber_Buccaneer

The staff at the Chemists probably won’t know what you are on about and if they do won’t want to sell it to you in case you drink it. Maplin or RS have tins or aerosols of the stuff.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above Maplins

footflaps

Ebay sell it.

Sodajim

Ebay, it was about £18 for 5 litres

D0NK

My local chemist (end of my street) refuse to order alcohol or syringes (for bleeding brakes) in for me 🙁
    have asked nicely a few times.

gnusmas

Can’t get isopropyl alcohol from chemists anymore, that’s what i was told when i tried to get some a couple of months ago. Like has been suggested already, order some online or from a shop similar to maplins.

My chemist won’t order any syringes for me either, but they will sell me a 5ml syringe for administering calpol to children – and these have no ends on them for tubing!

poah
    Free Member

syringes and propanol from the lab if I need.

traildog
    Free Member

I order some from a lab supplies. Chemists haven’t been allowed to sell it for quite a while now.

tomd
    Free Member

I got 5l of 99.9% IPA off an Amazon seller for a shade under £20 with next day delivery. It included a free 1l spray bottle with appropriate chemical identification stickers on it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

ipa from ebay, and syringes from a vet

LoCo
    Free Member

Electrical contact cleaner from local industrial supplier/good motor factor (don’t use brake cleaner BTW)

D0NK

Chemists haven’t been allowed to sell it for quite a while now.

erm… why?
    Seems you can buy it from plenty of places (ebay/electrical/supermarkets) but not from a place where it has more chance of it’s sale being supervised. Just seems bizarre.

jonba
    Free Member

Amazon/Ebay although I’m not sure how they manage to post it.

DIY shops might have it as well.

Syringes also from Ebay/Amazon.

In fact, in general you can buy anything from Ebay/amazon.

traildog
    Free Member

erm… why?

I have no idea why but that’s what I was told by a few I tried to get it off. I know of a lab supplies place near my and popped round to ask and they said they’d supply it, but only if it was posted to an address. They wouldn’t do over the counter.

footflaps

Amazon/Ebay although I’m not sure how they manage to post it.

They just don’t tell RM what’s in the parcel….

Squidlord
    Free Member

My local chemist sells it. They never have any cold ones though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

don’t use brake cleaner BTW

Why not? I’ve always avoided it out of ignorance and worry there is ‘something’ in it that I don’t want.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why not? I’ve always avoided it out of ignorance and worry there is ‘something’ in it that I don’t want.

It’s quite nasty to paint, but then so is IPA if you leave it longer than a quick wipe.

If anyone in Wokingham area want’s a litre or two I’ve go a gallon I’ll never get through.

muddyground
    Free Member

Tried to buy some citric acid from a chemists. Refused, suggesting I’d use it to do something very naughty. Popped around to Wilkinsons, brewing section, bought some. Wilkinsons was next door. Gosh, what an exciting life I lead!

scruff
    Free Member

Can you get drunk on IPA? *

*Not the beer version.

andy4d

Not entirely sure why, but think you need some sort of license to sell iso or meths etc so maybe some chemist dont bother due to cost of licence. My mum had similar issue with ammonia, she used it to clean windows but apparently other use it for more destructive reasons so she cannot buy it any more from her chemist.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I buy mine in France where it’s readily available at Chemists. Really ridiculous it’s not available here.

poah
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Can you get drunk on IPA? *

the effects of IPA poisoning is like drunkenness but you tend to die as the body can’t deal with it. not recomended

CountZero

Ebay, it was about £18 for 5 litres

Thankfully I can just grab a handy empty 5ltr film dev bottle and fill it from one of our 25ltr bottles of Isopropanol. 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bottles of isopropyl alcohol in high street chemists?’ is closed to new replies.