Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bottle sterilisation
  • ratherbeintobago

One for the hive mind, this.

Anyone know whether Dr Brown’s baby bottles fit into a Philips Avent steriliser? If not, anyone know what electric steriliser works?

Ta

Andy

damo2576
    Free Member

We have the Dr Browns bottles and Avent Steriliser. Works fine. We slotted the tubes and bits from the Dr Brown bottles through the mesh in the top of the steriliser.

ShercoSteve
    Free Member

You can do 4 at a time in a tomee tipee steriliser. My sproglets (twin girls) didn’t take to the tomee tipee bottles so we had to buy the mega expensive dr brown ones. It’s tight mind you. Doesn’t answer your question but it’s an option.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks for replies so far – very helpful. Keep them coming.

Bit of a pity that Dr Brown’s don’t seem to make their own steriliser; being a Cannondale owner the idea of system integration appeals :-P, but everyone we’ve asked says the Brown’s bottles are better than anything else.

Andy

oxym0r0n

Never heard of Dr Brown’s 😳

Our Twin girls got/get on fine with Tommee!

TooTall
    Free Member

They do – it just works in the microwave. It works really well and makes use of something you probably already have, rather than plugging something else in. 6 minutes and they are done.

Oggles
    Free Member

Is there a steriliser that fits 750ml bike bottles? Some of mine are pretty minging.

TooTall
    Free Member

Is there a steriliser that fits 750ml bike bottles

Scrub them out, fill with water, use Milton tablets. Same result.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah – a big cold water steriliser bucket would do the trick for bike bottles and for the OP.

Hohum
    Free Member

We used the Milton tablets and cold water sterilisation for each of our three children.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah we used a mix of both steam and cold water (twins create loads of cleaning + we had a breast pump and accessories to sterilise too).

BTW OP – Are you talking about the mains electrical one

or the microwave one

If you get a Tommee Tippee microwave steriliser (old style) they can be used to steam sterilise and cold water with tabs.

TooTall
    Free Member

We used the Milton tablets and cold water sterilisation for each of our three children.

Thats a bit harsh. We’re using a bath and baby soap!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

😀

Kept them lovely and clean and germ-free though!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

cold water and miltons in a bucket for us, too

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone know whether Dr Brown’s baby bottles fit into a Philips Avent steriliser?

Just as they’ve all said – yes.

Will also take the larger Dr Brown’s bottle for when littl’un gets a bit more hungry.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you do use cold water, get Boots tabs as they are half the price of Milton’s ones but do the same job.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all. I meant the electrical one as microwaves=evil.

Andy

takisawa2

Our two preffered the TommyTippee ones that look like a boob.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

microwaves=evil.

Why?

ratherbeintobago

I am not sure all the free radicals generated by microwaving stuff are all that good for you (nor is having a powerful source of EM radiation in the kitchen). I didn’t have a microwave for years for this reason; I still try not to use the one my wife bought.

I admit I haven’t got a whole lot of evidence for this, and it may be a product of my Mum’s microwave being kept in the utility room & not being allowed in there while it was running…

Andy

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I have always assumed that there has been no apparent reason to think they are gonna gang up on us and kill us all that they are safe to use for reheating, cooking etc*

*We did have one explode in a puff of black smoke when sterilising a set of bottles last year which meant binning the microwave, the steriliser, the contents and a day cleaning and getting rid of the smell in the kitchen. It wasn’t pleasant and I hope it never happens to me again.

Bream
    Free Member

Sorry to go all OT, but is it only us that thinks the Dr Brown’s bottle are crap, they seem to leak 75% of the time, god knows how mind as technically they shouldn’t 😥

Given up now and switching over to Nan jobbies as they don’t leak.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

switching over to your nan’s jubblies? That sounds a bit wrong to me…

😉

damo2576
    Free Member

Sorry to go all OT, but is it only us that thinks the Dr Brown’s bottle are crap, they seem to leak 75% of the time, god knows how mind as technically they shouldn’t

They leak when overfilled or when the internal tube bit isnt fitted correctly. Agree it can get a bit annoying.

ourmaninthenorth

Never had thenm leak, but they are put together properly and not overfuilled (hence having the larger ones as well).

Are we all sure we’re not on mumsnet by accident..?

Bream
    Free Member

mumsnet lol, they seem to leak after being shaken, which you need to do to mix the powder/water etc. Always assembled correctly and tightened. I must admit though, Mrs Bream seems to have a much higher bottle leakage rate 😕

Like I said before, looking at the design it shouldn’t be possible, maybe we got a bad couple or somat 😐

Anyway, Nan jubblies all the way now 😆

kimbers

sorry thread hijack

microwaves are not powerful enough to generate free radicals
    namby pamby BS

miketually
    Free Member

We just filled the bottle with water from the kettle, and put the teat in upside down. Left it for a minute or so then emptied it.

Our kids are still alive 😉

(Though we didn’t use many bottles.)

tiger_roach
    Free Member

So are we all bothering to be BPA free?

iain1775
    Free Member

yup Browns leak when shaken or overfilled after little-un had colic with all other bottles we tried though its worth the extra faffing to not have that constant uncontolable screaming after every feed
    we have some cheapo Asda bottles for mixing, then pour the mixed milk into the Browns ones
    microwave steriliser as well

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So are we all bothering to be BPA free?

My wife did – I *tried* to be less obsessive about these things but I wasn’t listened to.

It is so much easier now we can just wash the bottles up/put them in the dishwasher.

TooTall
    Free Member

I admit I haven’t got a whole lot of evidence for this

Really?! You surprise me! Do you wear a tin foil hat just in case?

ratherbeintobago

Really?! You surprise me! Do you wear a tin foil hat just in case?

Not for using the microwave, no. The tinfoil hat is to stop alien radio waves controlling my thoughts.

Andy

Edric64
    Free Member

I use cheap thin bleach and dilute that .After all that’s all steritabs are

Bream
    Free Member

We just stick the bottles in a large pan every few days and boil for a few mins, haven’t bothered with a specific machine. In between they are simply washed in hot water with washing up liquid, then rinsed in cold water. That’s what was recommended to us over here by the midwives etc.

brassneck

*We did have one explode in a puff of black smoke when sterilising a set of bottles last year which meant binning the microwave, the steriliser, the contents and a day cleaning and getting rid of the smell in the kitchen. It wasn’t pleasant and I hope it never happens to me again.

Try one of those beanie things that have replaced hot water bottles.
    Heat for 1 minute.
    Press 10 minutes by mistake, leave room.

I have never spent so long cleaning, it was weeks before the smell and ick was removed.. microwaver was a right off, as was the beanie bag..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Brassneck – seriously it has NOTHING on the smell of a microwave properly blowing up (I know because I have done something very similar – put the beanie on a microwave hotplate griddle which then ‘cooked’ it. I felt rather stupid after that one.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bottle sterilisation’ is closed to new replies.