Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Bottle cages off road
  • hooja
    Free Member

In need of options
    Let’s have some recommendations for good off road bottle cages, that won’t eject the bottle at the first sign of a bump!
    A couple of pre requisites though:
    Really don’t like giant plastic fantastics
    Side entry would be good, for access with a frame bag fitted
    Not interested in crazy prices like king cages (can’t justify nearly £100 for a pair of cages)
    Many thanks

phil5556

My fabric cage less works surprisingly well, it’s not ejected so far.

hooja
    Free Member

Don’t want to be constrained to certain bottles. I have many bottles already, haha

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not side entry but the Blackburn mtn cage has always done the job.

bsims
    Free Member

My specialized alloy cage is quite good and if your bottle does fall out you can adjust it. Finally if it isn’t good enough £6 is too painful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Zee or Elite Cannibal

greyspoke
    Free Member

Spesh Zee ones have worked really well for me. Except when loading/ unloading bike on uplift trailer.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Fabric cage lost bottle a couple of times in about six months but it was enough for me to ditch it. They just need to make a more secure version. Wouldn’t care if you couldn’t grab it whilst riding. Only really drink when I stop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage/
    Had Elites on most of my bikes, solid never lost one, plastic but why spend more

scotroutes

Spesh Zee. I have two on my bikepacking bike. Usually run with rigid forks so there can be quite a pounding, and I’ve never had any bottle eject.

Also check what bottles you are using as they are not all of identical dimensions.

hooja
    Free Member

Cheers all,keep em coming
    Spesh zee looks like a contender
    Anyone tried the cheap eBay titanium ones?

tjagain

cheap alloy one that can be ” adjusted” to give a good grip on the bottle. works for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lezyne – cheap and really secure. Not side-entry tho.

schmiken

King Cage Iris.

scotroutes

Anyone tried the cheap eBay titanium ones?

Me

It snapped.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Me also.

Also snapped.

ajantom

Lezyne – cheap and really secure. Not side-entry tho.

Seconded, Lezyne Power is the best bottle cage I’ve used.

hooja
    Free Member

Haha, thought that would be the end result with the eBay titanium ones.
    Thanks for taking one for the greater knowledge guys

mick_r

Salsa Nickless cages super secure and last forever. Also don’t leave black metal residue on bottles. Not a clue if you can still get them anywhere….

johnnystorm

I’d you can live with plastic these held in my bottles in the Peak District off road on my Arkose.

First Look – Zefal Wiiz side-exit bottle cages

Otherwise Blackburn MTN.

otsdr
    Free Member

I have a “regular” King Cage titanium, seems to work just fine; now I see there’s a collaboration with Wolf Tooth (Morse) which allows for some vertical adjustment, but I can’t justify the switch.

l.e. You could also look at Wolf Tooth’s “B-Rad” stuff, which allows for offset bottle mounts, among other things.

hooja
    Free Member

Any thoughts on which side for side exit? I’d automatically just order two right hand exit ones but when you look on spesh website, they seem to recommend left on diwntube, right on seat tube?
    Each to their own I guess

kelron
    Free Member

Because it’s facing the opposite direction 🙂

frogstomp

Spesh Zee here too.. just works.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you get two RH (or two LH) then they will open to different sides of the bike when mounted on downtube and seat tube so if you want them both to open to the same side you need one of each then mount accordingly.

As for the original question – I’ve a Spesh something or other that’s side exit and I’ve yet to lose a bottle from it.

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few but settled on the Tacx Deva, supposedly designed for the cobbled classic, I’ve yet to lose a bottle since getting one.

hooja
    Free Member

Haha, yep yep, of course! I love this place for reality checks (virtual slaps round the head)

drnosh
    Free Member

Velcro strap. Never failed (yet)

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Another vote for the Zee cage. Didn’t lose a bottle all day at BPW (including during an off that saw the bike cartwheel down the trail).

swoosh
    Free Member

I have a btwin one. Never lost a bottle in a couple of years. Before that I had the cheap alloy ones, again not lost a bottle

andrewh
    Free Member

Mt Zoom carbon side entry has been great, and can be either side
    DUAL SIDED / SIDE PULL CARBON CAGE

duncan

+1 for Blackburn MTN

four
    Free Member

Spesh Zee regular and side opening on my road and off road bikes – work very well.

welshfarmer

Spesh Zee side entry here. Had it for years and never lost a bottle, Alps, Black Runs at Antur Stiniog, Snowdown, etc. Just works. If you can find one buy it!> I have been looking for ages and they just don’t seem to be around any more.

BearBack
    Free Member

Syncros Taylor 1.0.
    I order one each year to color match my bike.. only broken one due to a fairly ‘interesting’ crash where I got high sided and the only place I could reconnect with the ground on landing was by stamping through the front triangle (remarkably accurately considering what else was going on)
    they’ve never dropped a bottle though and pick your color/exit side.

trail_rat
    Free Member

blackburn MTN here – even on race bikes. the reinforced sleeved weld means they last unlike the cheapo alloys that snap at the weld.

Fabric – you mean the bottles that entirely without fail eject at least once a ride in our group.

they worked well when new but fail the longevity test after about 6-8 rides.

natrix
    Free Member

Had a Blackburn mtn cage snap on me (well on my 7 year old daughters bike to be acurate) and they wouldn’t honour the lifetime warranty so I won’t be using them again………..

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

BBB do side loading bottle cages. and hold the bottle v well not lost one yet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

interesting natrix.

where did it snap ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cages off road’ is closed to new replies.