Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Bottle cages: much of a muchness?
  • arrpee
    Free Member

What cages do you like for MTB? Been doing shorter rides recently and it’d be nice to be free of the Camelback. Security would be my main priority.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Specialized Zee or Elite Cannibal.

Simon

Specialized Zee cages work well for me, never lost a bottle from one.

simondbarnes

Bontrager Elite (formerly Bontrager RL) have worked flawlessly for me for years.

lunge

Elite Cuissi, with grip tape added if you want real grip. Not pretty or particularly light but you’ll not lose any bottles.

Tracey

As above never lost a bottle from a Zee. You can also fit the SWAT tool to the base of them

oldnpastit

Cheap metal ones are best avoided.

The fibre glass ones (Elite?) seem pretty good.

schmiken

King Cage Iris.

Yak

The standard Elite Custom Race ones are cheap and good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Blackburn MTN cage

sockpuppet

Tacx tao. I like mine. All eight of them.

joemmo
    Free Member

Lezyne Flow. This one not the side loading version
    flow

hatter

Elite have a new side entry one out called the Prism, it was in FGF a few weeks back, has anyone used one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Elite custom is/was my default, specialized rib cage and bontranger rl are good too.

But tbh cheap aluminium cages are fine if they fit the bottle, and can be bent to grip them. And suit the look of a lot of bikes better than plastic versions.

BadlyWiredDog

Bontrager Elite (formerly Bontrager RL) have worked flawlessly for me for years.

Plus one for these. Use them off road. In the Peak. On a cross bike. Never lost a bottle yet. There are side-entry ones too. And lots of pretty colours to match your bike.

Bottom line: whatever anyone recommends, someone else will have lost dozens of bottles with them. I wonder if some bottle / cage combinations aren’t as secure as others, but the Bontrager cage seems fine with the SIS bottles, which are fairly standard.

easily
    Free Member

I use this:
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/adjustable-cage/206-modula–cage-ex

as it’s adjustable. Seems to work ok.

TiRed

Arundel mandible for bling. Elite ciussi for non bling. Never lost a bottle# from either. The plastic Elites will rough up your bottles and look rubbish in no time.

#That includes the 1L SIS bottles I use for longer rides, so a proper test.

swavis

I’m a fan of the Lezyne above ^, I use them on the fork legs of my fully rigid 29+ and have never lost a bottle yet, despite some very cackhanded riding:D

aP
    Free Member

King stainless steel. I can’t remember the last time I’ve lost a bottle. Might have lost my bottle though.

tjagain

I have used cheapo metal ones for years with no issue. One advantage is you can bend them to get a really tight fit.
    So IMO whatever metal one you can find cheapest

kelvin

I’ve broken more of those cheap metal cages than I care to remember. Zee are doing well on all my bikes since I stopped buying the metal ones. Those Topeak adjustable ones are great as well, our kids have them on their bikes so they can just use any bottle they have to hand, rather then proper cycling ones.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve had my King Ti cages for nearly 16 years now, never lost a bottle from them and they still look as good as new. Expensive but great value.

asbwilson1994
    Free Member

My leftfield choice would be the Monkii Cage by Free Parable. Works ideal for me mountain biking; it has never lost a bottle, can fit various styles from sports bottles to canteens and flasks, cans or cylindrically shaped food on longer rides where I use a bladder. Fact it can be quickly removed is also a plus for preserving the clean lines of you bike or when getting rad.

mattyfez

Avoid the cheap metal spring action ones.. Other than that I don’t really have an opinion.

I’ve got a cheap carbon /plastic one, it works and it’s really light.

chakaping
    Free Member

My HT has inherited an elite custom from one of my road bikes.

Bottle ain’t going anywhere in that thing!

Bit sticky to grab the bottle in a hurry while riding, but I don’t mind that.

JellyBabyLover
    Free Member

+ 1 for ti King Cage (pricey though) & MT ZOOM side entry for tight spaces

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Tacx Deva. Light, holds bottle well and tough. Can be had for around a tenner too.

docgeoffyjones

Metal one from Halfords has been fine for me. They were on sale when i got mine only £2

petec
    Free Member

i have a couple of the planet x titanium ones https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOPXTIBR/planet-x-titanium-bottle-cage

doesn’t seem to be a sale on them at the moment….wait a while, as I think I got them for £15 each.

Very good, never lost a bottle

arrpee
    Free Member

Cheers, all. Opted for the Zee in the end, as my LBS stocks them and I liked the idea of getting a SWAT at some point. Didn’t shed the bottle at Aberfoyle today, so feels like a good choice.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Need to get one also. Think I might need a side one as space on the Trek is limited due to the shock. Not that I have tried any yet.

Then need a decent bottle that also fits in the frame!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Then again this pic looks like the frame takes a massive bottle…

https://images.app.goo.gl/LWDsmiGAMaCxgP8w6

Not after one that big lol

cynic-al
    Free Member

aluminium ones wear out and cheap/light ones can break (same for plastic).

samuelr
    Free Member

I have a Ti specialized one. Its silly light and haven’t lost a bottle yet.

tjagain

I have about 6 cheapo ones on my bikes – in more than ten years one metal one and one plastic one has broken. Once a bottle jumped out.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cages: much of a muchness?’ is closed to new replies.