Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bottle cages
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Righto, just bought myself a nice new carbon road bike so of course i’ll need a nice new carbon bottle cage to go with it..

…how much??? 😯

Stuff that, plastic cheapo one will do nicely thank you!

Kuco

Pair of Planet X carbon cages £30.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My point exactly!

Kuco

Hardly breaking the bank is it, especially if you have just brought a new carbon bike. Maybe you should have haggled some in the purchase of the bike.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Elite custom ones do the job or the Tacx Tao

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I do wonder if these £40+ carbon cages are actually any lighter than a plastic one though.

nedrapier

If you want a needlessly expensive bottle cage, but are so over carbon, you could get a stainless steel King Cage that won’t* mark your bottles.

* will

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Look carbon bottle cage 34grams – £44.99

Brand X plastic cage 36grams – £2.38

Now, i like nice kit as much as most people but that really is taking the proverbial!

crikey
    Free Member

Get metal cages, either steel or alloy, so you can bend them in a bit to grip bottles tightly. It’s a pain to lose bottles when the road gets bumpy, but it’s even more of a pain to see the carnage a lost bottle causes when riding with others.

spazzolino
    Free Member

you could try ebay for a carbon set… about 6 quid each last time i checked.

Cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got a plastic Topeak one that works just fine and weighs 35g ish. £4 off CRC and not dropped a bottle yet, feels very secure. Have one on my Mtb, and one on the road bike.

Expensive cages are a mug’s game.

RustySpanner

POST A PICTURE OF THE BIKE THEN! 😀

Which one did you go for?

sockpuppet

Tacx Tao, all you need.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not got it yet RS – went for the Colnago in the end. Whilst i do like the Mekk i didn’t want to wait another month and the Colnago was pretty, similar in spec and geometry.
    Hopefully will turn up thursday!

stumpy01

Spesh Rib Cage…. Hold the bottle perfectly well and look about as good as a bottle cage can.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

you should get the plastic elite ones, or one of the multitude of clones.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got an eXotic (Carbon Cycles) bottle cage languishing in the spares bin. Cost very little and is pretty useless. You can have it if you want.

satchm00
    Free Member

Be careful the bottle cage screws don’t weigh you down! Just to be safe use no more nails 😉

Toasty

I had one of the Topeak Mono cages, with the soft plastic on the front, the plastic fell to bits. Got an army of Specialized Rib cages now, very secure!

36g again

Tiger6791

I’ve found that Carbon bottle cages have more than compensated for the 4 stone extra I carry on my body.

£ for pound top weight saving.

Pizza!!! – oh yes

Carbon cages – guilt relief

Happy planet

hatter

If you want reliability then look at what the pro’s use for Paris Roubaix… then use those.

Toasty

To be honest, if I was wasting money, I’d get:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/vincero-designs-stratus20-system-magnetic-bottle-and-cage-system-2567-p.asp

and enough magnets for all of my bikes.

The biggest thing slowing you down on a road bike at speed is the air resistance, not the 36 grams of your bottle cage.

shedfull
    Free Member

I have two carbon bottle cages on my carbon bike, that I often ride the 10 miles to work. I use one very lightweight cage to carry a normal plastic bottle with 3/4 litre (and this 750g) of fluid inside. I arrive at my destination hideously dehydrated, with the bottle still full, having time-trialled a bike that weighs nearly a kilo more than it needed to.

Then I have a drink from the bottle in a place where there’s a tap nearby.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just had a Tacx Tao fail, the plastic looks to have fatigued around where the bolt goes through. it was pretty old though. and the other one has warped a bit, though I have no idea how.
    And whilst those Vincero magnetic bottles look great and are amazing to use, they fall off at least once a ride – a bump in the road will dislodge the bottle when it’s full. not good. I’ve just taken mine off.

brakes
    Free Member

the second Tacx Tao on my bike broke last night, in the same place.
    looking for two replacements now…

scotroutes

Specialized Ribcage just seem to work really well.

The TAOs have also been really good on my tourer. I like that the cage can be bent by hand to make it grip the bottle a bit better.

wwaswas

I’ve always found Elite cages to be fine and they weigh bugger all.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cages’ is closed to new replies.