Bothy hunt..or similar

Home Forum Chat Forum Bothy hunt..or similar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bothy hunt..or similar
  • Sir, I give you Druim Bothy (scroll down a bit) in Knoydart. Almost everything you’ve asked for, train/ferry/short hike from central scotland, and its in Knoydart.

You can thank me later. 8)

used to stay here http://www.badrallach.com/stay/bothy.html

a bit sanitised I know, but it has to do for a range of people, however having been there 4 yrs on the trot we are looking for somewhere similar. NW of Scotland or Islands prefered but within reach of Central Scotland.

Cheap – dont need/want TV, dishwasher, spa bath etc
    Do need:
    Mountains for walking
    Water – loch or sea bit of fishin
    Trails for riding
    Isolated enough that 8-10 pissed 40 somethings on weekend passes won’t upset people by shouting **** at each other at 1 am!
    Maybe a pub in walking distance…

Moon on stick would help too 🙂

Premier Icon debaser
    Subscriber

The NTS have some decent options that fit your requirements, the Torridon one in particular is close to a good pub and some amazing riding/walking.

However, the wise monk’s suggestion looks pretty hard to beat.

Oooo… Knoydart vs Torridon eh? Difficult decision.

Mountains for walking – Ladhar-Bheinne versus Liathach?
    Water – Loch Torridon vs. Lochan Dubh Lochain?
    Trails for riding – Think Torridon wins that one hands down although Knoydart has Scotland’s tiniest trail centre! 😀
    Isolated enough that 8-10 pissed 40 somethings on weekend passes won’t upset people by shouting **** at each other at 1 am! – Bothy in Knoydart is about as isolated as it gets in Scotland I think
    Maybe a pub in walking distance… – The Auld Forge in Inverie, 3 mile walk in the dark on an estate track, pack hip flasks and headtorches!

I reckon for access Knoydart is a winner, take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig, Ferry to Inverie, 1hr walk to Bothy. Leave the cars at home!

Great wee place. Fill your boots:

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/Hikers-Bothy.htm

>I reckon for access Knoydart is a winner, take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig, Ferry to Inverie, 1hr walk to Bothy. Leave the cars at home!<

Indeed. A winner if you have two 2 days to get there and back 😉

These look good guys, thanks.

Inverie then over to Sourlies for a night. Great bothy right on the shore of loch Nevis in total wilderness.. If on bikes the descent back to Inverie is a belter, otherwise there’s 3 or 4 Munros to bag. It’ll be raining though.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Creggan outdoors in Grantown have a bothy up an easy track, about a mile off the main road into Grantown. You can hire the whole place.
    Now Knoydart vs Torrid on vs Cairngorm 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bothy hunt..or similar’ is closed to new replies.