Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bothy hunt..or similar
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

used to stay here http://www.badrallach.com/stay/bothy.html

a bit sanitised I know, but it has to do for a range of people, however having been there 4 yrs on the trot we are looking for somewhere similar. NW of Scotland or Islands prefered but within reach of Central Scotland.

Cheap – dont need/want TV, dishwasher, spa bath etc
    Do need:
    Mountains for walking
    Water – loch or sea bit of fishin
    Trails for riding
    Isolated enough that 8-10 pissed 40 somethings on weekend passes won’t upset people by shouting **** at each other at 1 am!
    Maybe a pub in walking distance…

Moon on stick would help too 🙂

13thfloormonk

Sir, I give you Druim Bothy (scroll down a bit) in Knoydart. Almost everything you’ve asked for, train/ferry/short hike from central scotland, and its in Knoydart.

You can thank me later. 8)

debaser

The NTS have some decent options that fit your requirements, the Torridon one in particular is close to a good pub and some amazing riding/walking.

However, the wise monk’s suggestion looks pretty hard to beat.

13thfloormonk

Oooo… Knoydart vs Torridon eh? Difficult decision.

Mountains for walking – Ladhar-Bheinne versus Liathach?
    Water – Loch Torridon vs. Lochan Dubh Lochain?
    Trails for riding – Think Torridon wins that one hands down although Knoydart has Scotland’s tiniest trail centre! 😀
    Isolated enough that 8-10 pissed 40 somethings on weekend passes won’t upset people by shouting **** at each other at 1 am! – Bothy in Knoydart is about as isolated as it gets in Scotland I think
    Maybe a pub in walking distance… – The Auld Forge in Inverie, 3 mile walk in the dark on an estate track, pack hip flasks and headtorches!

I reckon for access Knoydart is a winner, take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig, Ferry to Inverie, 1hr walk to Bothy. Leave the cars at home!

theblackmount
    Free Member

Great wee place. Fill your boots:

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/Hikers-Bothy.htm

>I reckon for access Knoydart is a winner, take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig, Ferry to Inverie, 1hr walk to Bothy. Leave the cars at home!<

Indeed. A winner if you have two 2 days to get there and back 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

These look good guys, thanks.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Inverie then over to Sourlies for a night. Great bothy right on the shore of loch Nevis in total wilderness.. If on bikes the descent back to Inverie is a belter, otherwise there’s 3 or 4 Munros to bag. It’ll be raining though.

matt_outandabout

Creggan outdoors in Grantown have a bothy up an easy track, about a mile off the main road into Grantown. You can hire the whole place.
    Now Knoydart vs Torrid on vs Cairngorm 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bothy hunt..or similar’ is closed to new replies.