Bose Solo (TV Sound content)

Home Forum Chat Forum Bose Solo (TV Sound content)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bose Solo (TV Sound content)
  • Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

I have only demo’d them, but they sound ok, much better than flatscreen speakers, but they are quite ugly IMO, the sound bar is nice but on a different level price wise.
    I ended up with a Orbit sound as it doesn’t get used much, but if I was looking now I would seriously consider the Sonus soundbar.
    Get yourself to John lewis to demo some & have fun.

Cheers.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Any STW opinion on this:

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/home-cinema-and-sound-for-tv/sound-for-tv/bose-solo-tv-sound-system/

FWIW I like the Bose “sound”, and am looking for a simplistic soundbar/no wires (2 kids) TV sound booster thingy.

??

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Any more recommendations for a child friendly, decent sound device? I’m not seeking Dolby 5.1 perfection, and if it makes any difference I do have the new sky box with 5.1 optical output…..

??

niksnr

Check out the Sonos Playbar.

ElShalimo

Looking at similar products myself
    The Bose got slated in a few reviews online
    Other models to consider are:
    Denon DHTT100
    Panasonic SCHTE80EB
    Onkyo LST10

All are “soundbase” under tv platform types, so 1 big flat box with various speakers
    It seems this type of product is new tech and not many real reviews out there

TurnerGuy

FWIW I like the Bose “sound”

Have you considered a hearing test ?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

TurnerGuy – Member
    FWIW I like the Bose “sound”
    Have you considered a hearing test ?

Have you considered posting anything useful other than recommending a Turner?

TurnerGuy

Have you considered posting anything useful other than recommending a Turner?

and what percentage of my posts recommend a Turner, pray?

But seriously, I was only showing concern for your hearing, as it must be flawed if you can’t hear anything wrong with the ‘Bose’ sound.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’m sure you were dear.

I didn’t say there wasn’t anything wrong with it, I said I liked it. Each to their own.

bigG

I’d recommend something with a good level of bass so you can’t hear the sound of posters happy slapping each other with handbags over what to recommend.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

🙂

Bose it is then 😉

TurnerGuy

at least try and get one on a home demo basis so you can return if you don’t like it – demos in shops are often dangerous as you often run it as a higher volume than you would at home.

At lower volumes you may not like the various emphasis’s that Bose put on the sound, such as bass.

The Bose site mention a 30 day home trial period:

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/home-cinema-and-sound-for-tv/sound-for-tv/bose-solo-tv-sound-system/

Note that a review on Amazon mentions that it is possible to adjust the bass:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B008HD0FW0

beaker2135

I have a Bose Solo, we like more than the Sony 5.1 we had before. I think it might be the room that is too small?
    Anyway we’ve had it a year and we haven’t had any problems with the bass distortion
    What I would say is it will sound better if you use an optical connection IMHO
    Get one from Amazon if you don’t like it send it back

Rockape63

they were testing them there sound thingys on Ze Gadget show the other night under £150. They decided the Panasonic jobby at around £129 was the bestest I believe!

TurnerGuy

we haven’t had any problems with the bass distortion

a lot will be dependent on the room shape and the positions of both the Bose and your listening position with regards to walls.

ElShalimo

After more surfing it seems that the Onkyo LST10 gets good reviews and is viewed as “what the Bose Solo should have been”. I looked at one last week in Richer Sounds and it seemed very good but the £350 price put me off

ElShalimo

update
    I went to Richer Sounds yesterday with the intention of buying a soundbase style platform
    Here’s the summary
    Denon DHTT100 – certainly does improve TV sound but was very box like when playing music via Bluetooth.
    Panasonic SCHTE80EB – didn’t bother as it’s quite small. Bloke said Panasonic do great TV but sound bars arenot great
    Onkyo LST10 – again big improvement on TV sound and music sounds okay but not quite right

I’ve had hifi separates for 20+ years (NAD, Marantz, Denon,Mission speakers – so good but not audiophile) so this may cloud my view but these devices just sound like boomboxes or portable stereos when playing music.The sound seems clipped at both high & low ends. The mp3 wasn’t the highest bit rate so that could contribute to the disappointing sound.

Bloke in shop said these style of soundbars are very new and time will tell if they are any good. The message was that a decent sound bar with separate sub at the same price will outperform them all day long. Based on what I saw/heard I think he’s right.
    I reckon if space is really tight and you want a tidy 1 box system to improve TV sound and to play background music then get one but don’t expect too much.

fwiw: I played music from Supergrass. Kasabian, First Aid Kit and The Unthanks

wobbliscott

Bose stuff does tend to get slated on reviews but I’ve always thought its good stuff when I’ve had it demo’d. My dad’s had the 5.1 system with the small cube speakers since the first came out and they sound great for a small satellite system. It is pricy though.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’ve decided to get that Onkyo subject to a test. The thing that’s sold it is the Bluetooth connection for music. I know it won’t be the best but I’m not a hi if freak, and don’t want music or wires all over the house.

YoGrant

I have an orbitsound t12. Bose stuff always sounds a bit thin IMHO. Great sounding bit of kit. The newer m12 looks good and it does Bluetooth ipod connect too.

ElShalimo

Kryton57 – Member

The Onkyo was the best of the ones I’ve played with.
    it’s quite a big lump compared to the other units but much bigger sound

ElShalimo

Kryton57 – what did you buy in the end?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

ElSha,IMO – you’ve seen the other thread – the Onkyo, and I love it. What a nice simple piece of kit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bose Solo (TV Sound content)’ is closed to new replies.