Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • BOS suspension
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a new bike that has BOS both ends. However, I am getting a little nervous about the BOS reliability and servicing

I have spoken to jtech and they will service them, although with the possibility it may invalidate the warranty. Surfsales are the new distro and service centre, but have only just taken this on.

I am also worried about if they go wrong on holiday in Canada, I could be up the creek.

Any experiences?

honourablegeorge

They’re great.

mikey74
    Free Member

What do you have and how long have you had them? Any issues with servicing?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Deville & Vip’R, zero issues with them (well, I had to let the air out of the forks and pump them back up to get the negative spring to work properly). Coming up on a year now, so will probably service them, but they don’t feel like they need it – service intervals are very long anyhow.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s pretty much what I had read, at first, but there are always stories of people having bad experiences with them; same as anything, I guess.

butterbean
    Free Member

The new distributor, despite the gusto of ‘it will be different’ is now experiencing the full force of BOS’s ineptitude & they have resigned themselves to not being able to service anything for the forseeable future.

There are other people who can unofficially service them, but there now appears to be the odd story of patchy service work creeping out, so you will have to take that gamble.

The downside of BOS is when they do sh*t themselves, right now it’s a massive ballache to get them sorted out.

Performance wise, they are just as good as anything else of a similar budget, just a seriously questionable support level.

LoCo
    Free Member

We can now service Devilles and VipR shocks.

godzilla
    Free Member

My Devilles had a problem second ride out, it was sorted by J-tech for £20, it would it wouldn’t put me off them.

mikey74
    Free Member

But not Idylles and Void?

Thanks BB: That is what is making me nervous.

LoCo
    Free Member

But not Idylles and Void?

No, so few around not worth getting seal kits manufactured, yet.

Have also now got kits for CCDB coils 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

Great in operation – nightmare to get serviced unless you go to Mad Elk Cycles in Ireland. Nobody uses the right oil and it invalidates the warranty by not doing so. It also probably changes the damping etc but you may be able to tune to your taste.

I have two bikes so not such a large gripe and love the Deville in operation. Would probably stick to a Lyrik if it was my only fork.

fbk
    Free Member

Devilles & Vip’r here too. The Devilles in particular have transformed the bike (replacing some Float 32s). I also had my doubts re longevity etc and I’ve heard stories – the fact JTech started servicing them swayed me in the end (just down the road from me and a very nice chap). I may just pop the lowers off every now and then to check though..
    Just hope I never have to try out the warranty service!

scruff
    Free Member

So, are BOS concentrating on sorting out Jonny Euro or is the offical servicing / distribution also lacking over Le Chanel?

mrplow
    Free Member

Probably a global issue – what they make up in design they seriously lack in logistics. They have no idea about supporting a product and don’t appear to be able to expand at the rate they can sell product. They are now pushing the US market again which means things will probably get worse for getting parts etc.
    Over reliance on their own oil, seals etc will be hindering them – not helping. But they are French and take August off…

mikey74
    Free Member

I suspect it’s a case of demand. BOS aren’t very popular over here at the moment so they focus on where their market share is the highest i.e. the Continent.

If BOS became more prevalent over here, then I suspect we would find their service become infinitely better. However, you need the good service to grow the business in the first place.

Still not sure whether to go for them or not.

LoCo
    Free Member

They’re their 3rd Distributor/service centre in the UK in 5 years or so.

Point taken about no standard parts invalidating warranty claims, but they shouldn’t need servicing until warranty is up.

Different oil maybe a slightly different wt, however, I think you’d have trouble telling the difference after a service with the Motul Factoryline.
    The forks also have adjustment so a click either way would compensate for any differences, and it’s certainly not going to damage anything.

AlexSimon

LoCo – do you think their products are good enough to justify these difficulties?
    Or would you be as happy with a lyric/fox34?

mrplow
    Free Member

I have it on good information from a previous BOS approved centre that the BOS forks rely on not only oil but a mix of the grease which is liberally used during the service. This mixes into a banana milkshake of suspension fluid which is how they are designed to run. This mix is part of the reason along with the factory tolerances for why the forks can do such long service intervals compared to Fox/Lyriks etc.

So there is factory tolerances, factory grease oil mix, factory seal and bushing clearances. With all this going on I don’t really want to mess with after market tuners who are feeling their way with different oils and seals; not on c£1k of suspension. My Lyriks are 6 years old this year and still going strong on factory servicing, I hope to get the same from the BOS by following the factory recommendations… 😯

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mechanically they are as reliable as anything else out there, perhaps more so. Performance wise they are also significantly better than almost anything else; the only other product I’ve been as delighted by is the CCDB.

But….

I have a pair of Deviles at Surf currently waiting for a replacement CSU. They have the CSU, just not the tools to replace it and it’s been with them over two months. I’ve actually bought an XFusion Vengeance to tide me over because I had a feeling it would be like this.

The CSU needs replacing because the steerer on the original is part of a batch of undersized units. This is an acknowledged manufacturing defect. I couldn’t get the issue addressed when I discovered it because there was no UK distributor. Then when Surf were appointed, the one year warranty had expired and so Bos have refused to support it under warranty.

Surf are being excellent and are going to replace it at cost to me and not charge labour (assuming they ever get the tools to do so). So they are basically taking a hit in order to support me. You have to applaud that but at the same time you have to ask what the **** are Bos playing at?

geetee1972
    Free Member

LoCo – do you think their products are good enough to justify these difficulties?

Yes they are. Right up to the point you need tech support at which point you’ll be looking for an alternative.

If you’re heavy or aggressive, then the Vipr is a revelation over something like an RP23. It’s not for everyone but if you’ve struggled to get a decent set up before with air cans, then the Vipr really is in a league of its own.

The forks are also clearly a lot better but honestly I think you can get pretty close with a Vengeance, 36, Pike/Lyrik etc. The real thing the Devile has going for it is 20mm axle, 34mm stanchions, 160mm travel, 2kg weight. You can’t currently buy that in any other fork on the market.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am now riding Fox 34 29ers and aCTD rear shock …. lots of work and tuning have got them ridable.

Took my old bike that I sold to a mate down Antur last weekend and nearly cried with joy at the Devilles and the Pushed RP23…

For me i would get BOS and trust the guys at JTech and Loco who are good guys that know what they are doing.

Here’s an idea, get a CCDB or CCDB air from LoCo and a Lyrik/Totem with an avalanche damper.

Anyone will be able to service the Avy damper including you, LoCo, Stendec or TF Tuned if they put their minds to it… or even any motocross tuner. Avalanche stuff is bombproof and here’s what you could get.

Currently the major tuning features for forks are the compression and rebound pistons (porting sizes), low speed bleed (adjusters), the valving shims, midValves and the oil-lock ABS. We will be adding a threshold system (Floating Valving Assisted Threshold High Speed Blow-off System or HSB for short) to the compression base valving stack that can be preset and tuned internally to allow the valves to blow-off on high speed hits, this can also be set to limit the amount of blow-off (float), the rate of blow-off (spring rate options) and how it affects the valve stack just before blow-off (high speed valving assist).

Now Avalanche supplies spares and instructions so you can shim things like the midvalve compression support and the high speed rebound to exactly how you want it. As such it’s a system that allows a true custom tune to be easily made.

Can you do that with your ridiculously expensive bos fork? No.

2kg weight. You can’t currently buy that in any other fork on the market.

The Lyrik Solo air is a 35mm fork and only about 100 odd grams heavier.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Performance wise they are also significantly better than almost anything else; the only other product I’ve been as delighted by is the CCDB.

Without trying to be rude, that’s largely b*llocks.

They aren’t significantly better than anything else comparable. The comparable stuff from RS & Fox for example is just as good. And you can get them serviced/fixed if needs be wherever you like.

I would take the BOS service intervals with a pinch of salt too. They need just as much looking after as all the others in my experience.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mesiah has just gone with a full Avy set up and seems to be loving it. It’s an excellent left field suggestion.

mikey74
    Free Member

I could get the bike, sell the forks and buy something else to fit.

It just depends on how easy they are to sell on.

sandal100

I had BOS suspension on my Tracer 2. Devilles to start with and then bought the VIP’r at a later date.

The devilles were excellent, lovely forks. The VIP’r was very disappointing. Straight out of the box it made a horrible clicking noise when in use, on the soft setting. The hard setting made a very hollow knock when taking any sort of impact, I only noticed when I forgot to switch from hard to soft on a descent. The shock went to Frane and was returned apparently working, minus the mounts which they had forgotten to put back in. Installed it on the bike and it was exactly the same. More emails between France and I and they wouldn’t sort it so I got rid, they say it worked fine an it was the air passing between chambers. No other vip’r I’ve seen does the same!

I went back to a RP23 and I prefer it as a rear shock. I also sold the devilles and got some 2013 float 36 which I think, after tinkering, are very close to the devilles. Having held devilles in one hand and fox in the other, they definatley aren’t lighter. I suspect they weigh them without any oil in (BOS) as opposed to fox who just ship them without oil!

If they work they’re ace, if they don’t you’re buggered!

Yep geetee, I’ve been riding one of my mates Avy setups…and we’ve been teaching ourselves about tuning suspension with his stuff.

They’re **** great, we pulled out the cartridge on one of his Honda mx bikes as well….not much difference really. Just good old fashioned bombproof MX technology with no gimmicky bollocks like CTD or floodgates.

scaredypants

Then when Surf were appointed, the one year warranty had expired and so Bos have refused to support it under warranty.

I can’t imagine you’d have much trouble demonstrating that there was an existing fault with the steerer at the point of sale (they don’t shrink with age) and so you’re wanting the sale of goods act not warranty

(if you can be arsed)

messiah
    Free Member

I liked the Bos stuff I borrowed but the after service scared me as I tend to need warranties 😕

messiah
    Free Member

You might be lucky or you might not… I’m guessing YT in which case you have to deal with them for warranty not Bos direct; which could be a blessing or even more of a curse.

Lovely kit if it works but if there is something wrong with it you might have to consider getting rid rather than banging your head off a wall to get it fixed.

mikey74
    Free Member

No, not YT, Morewood, from Bike Tart.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

*Sigh*. Getting to like the Vipr on my Rocket now it’s broken in a bit – don’t really need to be hearing that the service/warranty side is still pants.

What’s the deal with aircan services on them? Is it ala Fox/RS and needs doing pretty regularly or can I leave it for a year or so like a coil shock?

Cheers.

messiah
    Free Member

Morewood… Doh! I should have realised when you wrote “Idylles and Void”.

Tough call. Have you demo’d and fallen in love or are you in the drooling at catalogue ready to be swayed in another direction stage?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve test ridden it and it ticks all the boxes, and I’m supposed to be picking it up tomorrow, having paid a deposit.

honourablegeorge

I bought a coil Makulu a few months back. It has a MASSIVE Bos coil shock on it. I’ve never regretted anything less. I just wish it had a BOS fork.

mikey74
    Free Member

This is the Kalula, the little brother of the Makulu

mikey74
    Free Member

Damn – double post

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why worry about invalidating a warranty that’s worthless?

More to the point why would you bother buying a from a manufacturer that can’t fulfill it’s duties when it’s product becomes faulty?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Had my Devilles two years, had them serviced once by Mad Elk.
    They’ve never let me down and feel fantastic. Better than Pikes, Fox 36’s Maverick DUC’s and any other fork I’ve owned.
    I’ve not had to open them up once to clean seals and stop my stanchions from disintegrating.
    Glad to hear Loco are servicing for next service in 18 months time.
    Great product, thankfully never had to test the warranty, and now don’t have one, so not bothered.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm difficult one. Tempted to take a punt. Might be tricky if they go wrong in Canada in August, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘BOS suspension’ is closed to new replies.