BOS Deville or 36 Van

Home Forum Bike Forum BOS Deville or 36 Van

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • BOS Deville or 36 Van
  • mindmap3

That’s a good point about matching both ends – my SX and Rune never felt totally balanced with an air shock and coil forks, but the Rune with air both ends does feel better. Air suspension is getting better and better, but a coil is still much smoother. The combination of Devilles and a CCDBa has pretty much converted me.

I really do rate the Deville’s so far but not enough to think that they’re good value at RRP especially if they go pop (no modern fork is). I’m not so fussed about this because whatever forks I’d have bought would be second hand so would need to got to Loco, J Tech etc if broken.

Premier Icon Chainline
    Subscriber

It’s a fair point not he description plush. My definition when I sue it could also be described as compliant or ground hugging, I don’t mean soft.

Premier Icon NazNomad
    Subscriber

Having been totally blown away by the performance of my Bod Devilles in Morzine last summer I ordered another pair for the front of my Production Privee Shan. The Devilles ironed out all the braking bumps (no arm pump all week!) and managed a run down the Champery Worlds track in relative safety. No issues with either fork yet – the first set are getting on for a year old now.
    I’ll admit they aren’t car park plush but they definately take the fatigue out of a ride better than any fork I’ve previously owned (36’s,Sektors,old Pikes,Mavericks,Bombers).They are more of a race fork than a comfort fork so its down to riding style really.Playing with the tuning dials afects the performance massively too,it took a while before finding the absolute sweet spot

Dave

waldo1

@Thegnarlycenturion i don’t know about 140 or 160 but the 170 clear 650b easily even on full compression with a hans dampf and mavic 2.4.

messiah

Sorry if I confused people by using the word “plush”?

The dictionary definition of plush is luxurious – I take this to mean soft and compliant. If you think how Fox/Marzocchi/RS forks and shocks typically feel in the showroom/car-park this to me is plush. You can almost get all the travel out of them with a quick thrust down; I think this test gives the prospective owner a feeling of confidence that the fork feels good and will ride well.

From my experience this is not a great test of how a fork and shock will feel on the trails. The Bos and Avalanche stuff I have used (and liked) do not respond well to this type of test, they do not give up all the travel due to the compression damping. But on the trails they use all the travel when its required.

I think those that have ridden them will agree that Bos (and Avy) feel different to Fox/etc. Some people will like it (or love it) and others won’t; but its good to be aware that it is a little different when shopping. I don’t think there is a wrong or a right; people just like different things.

Intersting Waldo, thanks for the info – I had heard that the standard ones can run 650B, but I’m having trouble finding this info on the net again and as I want to run chunky tyres on wiiide rims upfront I’m a bit cautious about it! (might have to start a thread 😆 )

mindmap3

The settings in the manual aren’t too far off although the do feel odd in the car park bounce test, but they work really well once you’re riding off road.

Mine seem pretty plush to me, certainly for an air fork although they don’t deal with really small ‘chatter’ like the coil 36’s did.

There’s a fair bit of clearance between the crown and my Hans Dampf’s although I’m not sure if it will take a 650b wheel with a chunky tyre.

The Pike’s are really popular although personally I’ve always find that Rock Shox feel a bit odd.

Agree. Always prefered Fox to modern RS. Not tried the Pike yet though.

Having been totally blown away by the performance of my Bod Devilles

Do you get Aunt Flo and Farmer Barleymow to service them?

maico

Bos ain’t soft….

There is a grouptest in this months German magazine ‘Bike’ featuring the new Bos AM 140 fork v Pike and Fox. I’ll report back when I’ve read it.

chrisv8

thegnarlycenturion – I also noticed that reccomendations were made without anyone asking what my riding style is, i’ve taken a lot of the comments with a huge pinch of salt (this is singletrackworld after all;))

My usual riding is mainly natural, steep, off-piste trails Guisborough/Hamsterley are my locals. I also ride Ae/Inners/Hamsterley downhill tracks quite frequently. I did have a DH bike but couldn’t really justify having multiple bikes, to be honest I think the Nomad works better anyway.

The main reason I have avoided air in the past is I can’t be arsed fiddling with pressures all the time, which has been my previous air experience. Tech has moved on a bit now hence looking to switch to air.

It looks like the Pike is going to be the way forward if I do swap.

Premier Icon NazNomad
    Subscriber

A couple of small points regarding the Pike

Not available with 20mm axle

Have they been out long enough for anyone to comment on reliability?

Dave

LoCo

Not heard of any issues so far, few of our customers have had them a few months now and given them a proper pasteing locally in horrid conditions with no issues.

20mm axle isn’t really an issue as the standard has been around for a while, bit of a pain if you front hub is non convertible though.

maico

tasteslikeburning – Member

I’m a bit disappointed with my Bos Deville’s. After all the hype I found I preferred the Fox Float 32’s they replaced. Maybe they hold up more on steep stuff and dive less under breaking but they don’t have much plushness.

Make sure you follow the BOS instructions to equalize the air chambers otherwise the fork will feel over-damped.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘BOS Deville or 36 Van’ is closed to new replies.