Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • BOS Deville
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Seeing as most recomendations are for 25-33% that seems fine to me!

Partially wrong, something I learned when my brother was a sponsored downhiller. If you are an aggressive rider you need to be running less than the usual manufacturers recommendation of 20-30 percent sag. Basically if you want the best performance, you need to get fitter to deal with arm pump.

See: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-setting-sag-2010.html

It would seem then the Devilles are not really forks that give you “race” performance but comfort by being more progressive? I’m not sure I’d want that as I run bang on 20 percent sag.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It would seem then the Devilles are not really forks that give you “race” performance but comfort by being more progressive? I’m not sure I’d want that as I run bang on 20 percent sag.

Not really. Want less sag, put more air in.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Not really. Want less sag, put more air in.

So they are linear then and resist dive due to being heavily damped in the mid stroke? If not and they re progressive they’ll ramp up to much towards the end compared to a linear spring.

I’ve had a play on a mates pair for about half a day, but not enough to know the ins and outs of them you see.

I don’t get bad brake dive at 20 percent sag with my Lyriks, so I was looking at them for the decreased weight. Have they managed to find a way to keep the spring weight with air forks linear then?

mrplow
    Free Member

I don’t get the drum you are banging. You running inferior(just to wind you up :lol:) Lyriks solid as to get round their inherent diving. I have done this in the past but it removed enjoyment as I don’t want my teeth punched in by my fork and have hand injuries from previous sports which don’t enjoy the Gwin ride quality. The BOS seem to control their travel better without being sluggish from over damping or pumped up to hell. They just work nice, if all forks worked like this the pros might not have to set their forks up so hard 😉

I read that BOS always design trying to replicate linear coils but have no tested data to say what devilles curves are actually like. I doubt they are linear.

bwaarp
    Free Member

All I will say, is that for racing, you shouldn’t be controlling fork dive with loads of compression, you use as little as you can get away with. If you are going fast enough for chassis stability to be a problem you should be upping the spring rate. Forks are always a trade off between comfort, control and grip and you have to find that compromise.

Therefore, FOR ME, I see no point in having the Devilles. My Lyiks ride high enough in their travel and don’t dive badly. The Coil Lyiks with the modded damper or MC DH damper are more sensitive to small bumps than the Deville when set to my sag level from my limited experience on them. Might be different if I ran 25 percent sag.

Lyriks have the added bonus of being reliable, user serviceable with a ready supply of cheap spares.

I apologise, I’m just a very sceptical person. The BOS forks are great but I really do not get all the hype, they are not a whole load better IMO. Just a bit.

mrplow
    Free Member

My fork will probably explode this weekend 😆 Don’t worry, I’l post pics.

bwaarp
    Free Member
    frank4short
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    BOS customer service

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=571561

Nice

Very useful thread in German there, explains things perfectly….

bwaarp
    Free Member

Learn to read German or use google translate and use that thing between your ears to work out what the literal translation probably means!

sailor74
    Free Member

every time im about to go for the devilles I read something similar to the german thread above which puts me off.
    If service and spares wasnt an issue I would put my order in tomorrow, may play it safe and go with the fox

mrplow
    Free Member

I went through the exact same thoughts sailor74. 😆

bwaarp
    Free Member

Fox’s require a fair bit of servicing, great if your prepared to do that, if not then go for marz forks, they are reliable and they are also good for hitting people with.

Or, you could full custom, buy a set of OEM Lyrik R solo airs (rebound only) second hand or at discount, take them apart, drill the rebound adjuster slot out to 10mm and drop in an avalanche cartridge. All for way less than the cost of a Deville.

You’d be able to get most of the lyrik seals, general spares (bushings, csu’s, maxles etc), air spring spares. Then you would have a bombproof open bath avalanche cartridge with a good midvalve compression tune to keep them up in their travel Unlike the BOS forks, they’re designed to be easily user serviceable, so if you want you can even tune the internals to your taste with shims.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Here’s a little review, they fit Marz 66/888, Domains, Lyriks, Totems and Boxxers.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Avalanche-Racing-Fork-Replacement-Cartridge-Kit-2012.html

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘BOS Deville’ is closed to new replies.