Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Borrowing a car
  • anagallis_arvensis

A mates car has died and I cant drive at the moment. If they borrow mine do they add it to their insurance or do I add them to mine?

sandwicheater

Add them to your policy as a rule. They have no insurable interest in your vehicle.

prawny

You ad them to yours or they can use dayinsure.com

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruk

Last time I used a car for a few days I just used one of the short term insurers.

Small chance if they have a bump whilst on your policy it will affect your no claims etc.

Went via moneysupermarket.com.

Mind you my car is insured via the business so it was complicated doing it any other way.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Some fully comp insurance policies do allow you to drive other cars 3rd party – so it’s possible your mate might not need additional insurance, but:

Obviously if they cause an accident they won’t be able to claim to repair/replace your car.

Your car has to be covered but another policy.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends what cover you want. As above some insurance will be 3rd party cover on other vehicles. We drive each others cars on this basis but no one has anything worth much money. If you want full cover then add them as a named driver to your policy which should be cheap/free but your NCD is at risk. If you don’t like either of those then they need their own policy, either switch their current one or buy temp cover but that is likely to be expensive.

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks for the input, want to get a bitvof an idea whats involved before I offer the keys.
    Thats what I thought. Can they get temporary insurance on a car already insured by me?

prawny

Yeah no probs, I’ve done it on my inlaws cars.

I’m an insurance broker and was an underwriter for 10 years previously FWIW.

sandwicheater

Can they get temporary insurance on a car already insured by me?

^ Yep, dayinsure.com and many more like it.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Also check out ‘cuvva’ for short term insurance

epicyclo

I’ve just had my van wiped out by my son who borrowed it. He was on my insurance.

Got a claim in.

Bang, there goes my 8 years No Claims bonus.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Borrowing a car’ is closed to new replies.