Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Borrowdale Bash – with added extras
  • paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Meeting some mates in the Lakes in a few weeks time and probably going to ride Borrowdale Bash as a safe option for weather, as booking accomodation for a night, and they have not rode it before. Looking to make it a more technical route as much as I can – with some added extras. Probably going to add Walla Crag and the bit of technical singletrack along to Watendlath. Then dropping to Borrowdale via Frith wood BW. All pretty standard I guess.

But then considering pushing back up and riding to Dock Tarn and Lingy End. Has anyone rode this recently. The last post I can see on here mentioning it is about 5-6 years ago and a lot has changed since then in terms of bikes and riding. Thoughts welcomed on the approach to the Tarn and the descent itself.

From there was probably going to do the standard DH to castle crag and then cut off on the Cumbria Way after the ramble back into Keswick to avoid tarmac.

Advice on Lingy end appreciated. And any other hints and tips. Was not sure if there was anything in Great Wood below Walla Crag – having only ran across the Crag in the past…

Thanks,
    Paul

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It’s a fairly quick, steep carry up to Dock Tarn but it’ll be sopping on the top at this time of year; trudging through the heather. I’d be more inclined to carry on the regular bash route – after the terraces, come around the back of Catbells and up the bw above Little Town to Hause Gate. The descent down to Manastey is techie fun; one of the best we have around here.

paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Great – thanks – this is really useful. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Descent from Hause to Manesty is too busy to condider during the day, and definitely not at the weekend IMO. Tried it once, never again, first thing or late at night.

lowey

Up to Honister and the world is your oyster…

Warnscale to Buttermere then back via Rigg Beck
    Carry up to Dale Head, descend via Hindsgarth – Scope end
    Carry up to Dale Head tarn – Descend Rigg Head Quarries and join the bash above Castle crag
    Dale Head to High Spy, Maiden moor, Hause Gate.

Never done Lingy End.

TomB

Over Walla is better than anything below it. The trudge over and past dock tarn will be very wet just now, and lingy end is very steep (not ridden it, but have walked up it!). I think I’d avoid, especially if climbing back from the valley bottom to do it. I’m with Lowey- if you want to extend the Bash, honister provides good options. You could also consider a loop of langstrath- along the bridleway from Rosthwaite and up the start of greenup gill, over the bridge and follow the BW up to the bottom of Stake pass then cross the FB and come back down the other side of the valley. Stop start techy up the valley but beautiful scenery. On a good day, climb stake pass and head through the central fells- angle tarn, esk hause, styhead and down to seathwaite- this is probably 3 hours by itself, so you want to be well prepared with plenty of time.

paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Hi folks. Thanks for this. A couple of follow up Qs

Lowey – not really been up Dale Head before – just looked up at it when walking Cat Bells in the past. Is there any of these you would recommend – on the basis of ease to ascend and for a good / fun technical DH (and not just a wide straight line blast) – also which ones would hold up in potentially dire weather?

TomB – thanks also. I was going to save styhead for a summer day and come across from Great Langdale. However, what is the DH like down Stake Pass – and is the climb up to it OK underfoot?

Thanks,
    Paul

postierich
    Free Member

Just after the Walla Barrow Crag climb take a left and do Bleaberry its an up and down then carry on towards Wall Barrow descent I really enjoyed it
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2169887347

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The quickest way up Dalehead is to carry from the road summit at Honister (following the wall). The descent to the tarn is mostly a man-made fix the fells special; then rocky and technical through the quarry. If the weather turns, you can cut out Dalehead’s summit by cutting right on the ascent (although it’s tricky to pick up the small track when the cloud falls). Warnscale is easier to navigate but a difficult descent in the rain.

Hindscarth (and Robinson next door) both have a few unavoidable carries on the descents. Hause gate descent isn’t busy after 3pm, and coming over High spy and Maiden Moor is easy (although the carry up Rigg Head Quarries is steep).

Bleaberry is a nice add-on, and High Tove down to Ashness is fun (but tricky to navigate in parts).

lowey

@paultheweatherman

My favourite would be Rigg Head Quarries. Theres a short staircase in there that terrifies me but good riders (like him^^ :)) get down it, other than that its a great technical drop to Castle Crag.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PUjmFX]20161210_140410[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

paultheweatherman
    Free Member

Hi guys

Thanks for all these tips. We rode today in great conditions and ended up doing Walla Crag and adding the FP along from surpirse view and then Dale Head / Rigg Head. Finishing on the FP to Keswick from the end of the Cat Bells traverse. Amazing DH and lots of fun. But a few of the lads pushed parts of the Dale Head DH. We all pushed the picture above and the 50m below that. Impressive if folk can ride it.

Great ride though and really recommended if you want to add some more to the classic bash.

Cheers,
    Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Borrowdale Bash – with added extras’ is closed to new replies.