Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Borrow dale bash strava route
  • neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Fancy doing the borrowdale bash loop does anyone have a link to a strava route I can use.

geomickb
    Free Member

There is a GPX here which I think you can import to Strava:

Borrowdale Bash

Keep your eyes out for an old pair of Oakley Jawbones (green) or a rear light (Topeak RedLite Mega), they were shaken loose on the descent to Borrowdale.

Mick

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Cheers Mick I’ve never used gpx files before so not sure how to get them onto my garmin but links to strava are a doddle to transfer. If I find your Oakley I’ll give you a shout 😎

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you start in Keswick, head up through Castlerigg and take in the aesome view from Lady’s rake, then it’s a cracking run along Walla and Falcon crags to Ashness bridge, far better than going the road.

I tend to avoid castle crags too, as it’s a bit shite, I’ve just not decided which was is the best avoiding option yet, really need Lowey to take me really!… 🙂

geomickb
    Free Member

You can just import it using this:
    https://labs.strava.com/gpx-to-route/

fathomer

Nobeerinthefridge Member
    If you start in Keswick, head up through Castlerigg and take in the aesome view from Lady’s rake, then it’s a cracking run along Walla and Falcon crags to Ashness bridge, far better than going the road.

Do this, it’s much better. And Castle Cragg is pretty good fun in my opinion, sorry Gregg 🙂

To put the gpx on your Garmin, open it up in Windows Explorer and drop it into the ‘New Files’ folder. The Garmin will do the rest next time you boot it up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to love it Sam, but it’s just too straight and feels a nassive waste of height. And I always go too fast and either **** a rim or a tyre! 🙁

martinhutch

Don’t mind Castle Crag, although it’s usually rammed with strolling folk. Can’t think of any viable alternatives short of staying at valley level or riding the ridge down towards Catbells.

BB is an odd route really, more balanced if you add in Walla Crag at the start though.

jekkyl

We need a definitive BB route.
    The extra bit I was eyeing last time was up to dale head from the top of the pass, round the tarn and drop past old mine workings to join the bw before you hit the bits at Castle Crag.
    There’s also a large extension to be had by going up from Rosthwaite, Langstrath, Angle Tarn to Seathwaite.
    There’s also a fp the other side of Watendlath beck that might prove fruitful to traverse instead of the road to Watendlath…dunno if anyone can confirm if this passable? ie no stiles!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sanny has definitely done that Watendlath footpath, but I’ve always avoided it since he told me to try it due to the sign saying there was a bridge down?.

Another option for extending is right up Honister, then down the awesome Wharnscale and then from Buttermere along Rigg Beck. If it’s then late in the day, it’s a short push up from Little town onto cat bells, cheeky wee descent back to Hawse end, and a roll along the bridleway to Keswick.

That would be a grand day, I feel a plan coming along!.

scruff
    Free Member

Castle Crag is great if you stop and have a proper look what you’re riding past.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s lovely, and I love the singletrack along to get to it, it’s just not a descent I feel any love for!.

fathomer

Nobeerinthefridge

I used to love it Sam, but it’s just too straight and feels a nassive waste of height. And I always go too fast and either **** a rim or a tyre! 🙁

I’m not saying it’s amazing, but decent enough, I’m always open to different descents. Plus I’ve only ever done it twice so the novel hasn’t worn off. Can see **** a tyre or a rim being pretty easy though!

Warnscale I though was good, though not sure I’m good enough on the bike for it to be awe, Rigg Beck on the other hand is sublime!

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Cheers mick that worked a treat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wharnscale is different every time ye ride it, I’ve had both ends of the scale, absolutely nailed it, then next time the Lakes rain has completely changed the whole nature of it!.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@jekyll, I took the footpath opposite the road to watendlath. Big mistake. Not really ridable or enjoyable. I ended up fording the river and joining back onto the road.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Borrow dale bash strava route’ is closed to new replies.