Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • borked car power steering advice
  • iDave
    Free Member

if a car’s power steering packs in will it do any hard driving it temporarily?

cr500dom
    Free Member

What Car ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any hard? 🙂

Hare?

Hareem?

Hark?
    (the herald angels sing)

Farm?

Harp?
    (we have come because we heard about the…)

🙂

porter_jamie

Is is hydraulic? Any hideous noises? The pump might not like it if there is no fluid. If it is electric such as a corsa then I expect it will be fine

iDave
    Free Member

fluid level is fine, the fuse is fine, guess it’s some electrical stuff, need to drive 45 miles to airport in the morning, and back next week.

40DD – ‘hard’ should have said ‘flange’

5lab

is it just the belt thats snapped? if so, no damage at all – however check if there are other ancilleries on there (like the alternator) that may make things more tricky

wwaswas

have you tried driving it with the system not working – I really can’t turn the wheel on my megane when the ignition’s off.

iDave
    Free Member

It ‘seems’ OK, just a bit hard to turn!!

wisepranker
    Free Member

It’ll be fine to drive without the power steering operating, just going to have heavy steering.

Cougar

I really can’t turn the wheel on my megane when the ignition’s off.

With the ignition off, the steering lock will be engaged.

You’re right though; with the ignition on and the engine off, the wheel in my Mondeo is near impossible to turn. I wouldn’t like to try and drive it like that unless I could disengage the power steering somehow.

5lab

you probably won’t even notice heavy steering above ~ 10mph, above the PAS has much less effect

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can always call someone burly when it comes to parking it. 😛

bigyinn
    Free Member

Steering lock will only engage with keys taken out if the ignition. If it’s hydraulic steering then it’ll be very heavy, but no further damage likely to ochre. Electric, **** knows!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hang on…it isn’t the pink Ferrari is it? 😯

iDave
    Free Member

yeah, can you park it for me in the morning at the Priory clinic? Ta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘borked car power steering advice’ is closed to new replies.