Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Boris launches his leadership bid
  • grimep
    Free Member

LOL, the Spanish are for a referendum (65%) but just 13% of those polled want out. Try speaking to a few Spanish people, every single one I’ve spoken to thinks Brexit is the Spanish for bonkers.

What could possibly explain this situation?

Spain:
    http://www.money-go-round.eu/Country.aspx?id=ES
    Net income from the EU EUR 352.54 mil

UK:
    http://www.money-go-round.eu/Country.aspx?id=UK
    Net contribution to the EU EUR 10,097.18 mil

Spain are net takers, the UK are net contributors. Rocket science it ain’t.

kimbers

Sigh, rocket scientist are all pro EU (I know a few)…. Maybe just maybe the Spanish aren’t stupid enough to look at a single metric & jump to a conclusion about it, even if from that 1 does lie in their favour.

I suppose if you’re dumb enough to think that’s all the EU is about then youre probably stupid enough to think Johnson will be a good PM.

Johnson is the PM for leavers that buy into his poundshop Churchill sham, to them Brexit is courage facing down the evil EU

In reality it’s cowardice , the world is complex & messy & if leavers had any testicular fortitude they’d stay in the EU & fight for what they believe in, not run away.

Likewise no deal Brexit- it’s a surrender, the reality has proved to complex, too tough, too demanding, they’d rather flounce out & pretend that being a loner wa s what they always wanted.

Johnson is a similar coward.

mattyfez

Maybe the Spanish MEPs are actually doing thier jobs rather than turning up to meetings once in a blue moon just to annoy every one and bugger off back home to lie to thier people about how awful the EU is?

Just a thought.

bowglie

My money is on Gove getting Tory leadership.  As far as Labour goes, I’d like to see Yvette Cooper as leader, as I think she’d do a lot better at PMQ circus than Starmer or Watson. Then, if Labour did get elected, Starmer as Home Sec, Watson as Health or Education Sec.

hmm…might be getting a bit ahead of myself there;)

Flaperon

My money is on Gove getting Tory leadership

Frustratingly if it wasn’t for his rabid Brexit-mongering I imagine he’d be a boring but fairly competent PM. Fixed most of Grayling’s mistakes as Justice Secretary and appears to be pissing off the party faithful as environmental secretary, which can only be a good thing.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Frustratingly if it wasn’t for his rabid Brexit-mongering I imagine he’d be a boring but fairly competent PM.

Is he a rabid Brexiteer? I always assumed he’d supported leave out of Political expediency? (Genuine question I don’t know the answer.)

In office people can’t follow their own views anyway, they have a party to keep happy and an electorate to please. Personal objectives are the first thing that have to be dropped. See Corbyn a rabid Brexiteer since at least 1983, in office he’s mildly Brexiteer and would happily remain or leave if it made the issue go away before the next GE.

bowglie

Is he a rabid Brexiteer? I always assumed he’d supported leave out of Political expediency? (Genuine question I don’t know the answer.)

My OH certainly thinks he is a rabid Brexiteer (amongst other, mainly unmentionable, things😄).  But, it wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t get in and cancel Brexit, claiming he was lied to by Boris et al, and looking to pick up more votes than he’d loose in a GE. I don’t know, but reckon he’s the only leadership candidate that could get away with something like that.

chewkw
    Free Member

Boris et al are just going to be seat warmers as they don’t have the guts to lead.

The next GE will be fun …

kimbers

Gove has argued for many years that we should threaten to leave & use it to negotiate a better deal.

That plan has blown up in his face, he’s now meekly behind Mays deal, even though he knows it’s terrible, he knows leaving without a deal is lunacy.

He’s a calculating shitweasle

dissonance

Is he a rabid Brexiteer?

Yup. From memory he holds a grudge against the EU for passing laws which caused financial issues for his dads firm when he was a kid. Also from even vaguer memory I believe his dad said it was sod all to do with the EU.
    So unlike Boris he actually believes in this shit.

martinhutch

He’s a calculating shitweasle

TBH I prefer a calculating shitweasle to a gormless shitweasle.

Coyote
    Free Member

Pretty much agree with everything kimbers has said on this page.

Rich_s

Anybody hear Tory Plan B on LBC last night? (Tony Blair for the hard of thinking).

Came across very well and with some very interesting points. I hate to stop hating him but…

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/iain-dale-interview-tony-blair-watch-in-full/

outofbreath
    Free Member

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/iain-dale-interview-tony-blair-watch-in-full/

Thanks for sharing, v good interview. Highlights the paucity of talent in the current crop of politicians. 🙁

Rich_s

Also:
    Highlights the paucity of talent in ( most of) the current crop of journalists.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Also:
    Highlights the paucity of talent in ( most of) the current crop of journalists.

+1.

Personally, I think the journos are responsible for the politicians. If the media gave Politicians a fair balanced hearing talented people might be more willing to go into public service.

…but then the public are responsible for the journos so it all comes back to us.

Nico
    Free Member

Spain are net takers, the UK are net contributors. Rocket science it ain’t.

Within the UK the places that voted most strongly to leave appear to be those benefiting more from EU money. It’s not just about the sums.

Back on topic I heard something that seemed to hit the nail on the head. Meeting Boris is like meeting Paris Hilton. You think you are meeting up with a ditzy blond(e) but instead are confronted with a well-organised machine.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

According to Ian Hislop

people always ask me the same question, they say, ‘Is Boris a very very clever man pretending to be an idiot?’ And I always say, ‘No.

edhornby

I’d bet the reality is more that you attempt to ‘meet boris’ but are instead hit by a wall of flunkies who deflect all responsibility and have playbook excuses, and even if you do get to meet him you get BS because he’s a shyster

bikebouy
    Free Member

Has “call me dickhead” sorry, “Dave” launched a bid?

I, and many more, would like him to come back and fix this crazy constitutional mess we are in.

Tosser.

Might as well apply that comment to all conservatives.

🤷‍♂️

CountZero

I, and many more, would like him to come back and fix this crazy constitutional mess we are in.

Tosser.

Yeah, odd that CMD is so conspicuous by his absence, seeing as it was his grand plan to defuse the whole Brexit fiasco, started by Princess Tony, which promptly blew up in his face.
    The expression ‘hoist by his own petard’ is particularly appropriate here.

whitestone
    Free Member

Who’d actually want to be leader of the Conservatives with that mob of back stabbing plotters behind you?

ernielynch

Boris Johnson for sure.

Politics has always been a vehicle for his insatiable attention seeking ego.

Anyone leader of the Tory Party in present situation, of unprecedented bitter turmoil and divisions, can expect to get vastly more focused attention and headlines than any other party leader of recent times.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Boris launches his leadership bid’ is closed to new replies.