• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,081 through 3,120 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • BillMC

He is completely bereft of ideas and so the dependence on Cummings, his madcap self-aggrandising garden bridge, water cannons, hospitals, moonshots and his emotional and intellectual shallows are borne out by his defensive-aggressive pops at the opposition and his insatiable need for instant gratification. It’s all about HIM hence talking about resigning over HIS piss poor pay (£150k plus lots of exes) not over a principle or a failure of policy. He really is a ghastly, bloated but accurate reflection of the callous and narcissistic nature of his class and background. Whoever replaces him won’t be much different but might be a bit more of a polished performer.

kimbers

Honest Bob jenrick 😂😂

Klunk
    Free Member

grauniad cryptic crossword getting in on the act

14 17(Baroness btw) accomplished nothing with firm and in government (4,7)

dannyh
    Free Member

grauniad cryptic crossword getting in on the act

14 17(Baroness btw) accomplished nothing with firm and in government (4,7)

I dunno, her pockets are pretty well lined.

BillMC

What about Boris buying crack?

frankconway

Bill – is that a euphemism for his relationships with women?

kimbers

MoreCashThanDash

That public disapproval on Covid response is now at both ends of the scale – those of us who feel they’ve not done enough, early enough, and those who think it’s a gross invasion of our civil liberties.

Even MrsMC, who tends to give everyone too much benefit of the doubt said they’d gone too late this time. Which worries me in case my 25 years of grace is running out.

Jnr can’t believe they didn’t plan a two week circuit break around this October half term – could have run it either side of the holiday week depending on numbers (so the week before would have been the option). The action in Wales may not show a dramatic drop in numbers, but it surely will slow the rate of increase?

stumpyjon

He’s totally messed up Christmas, be interesting to see if / when the numbers gets worse nationally he’ll actually do something. People seem to forget cases doubling isn’t an issue until it suddenly is, if cases double in 7 days, this week ITU is 25% full, great 75% capacity, next week 50% full, great loads of beds left, week after,100% full, week after that 100% over capacity. Trouble is with the three week incubation period you need to be fully locking down weeks before ITU overloads, or its too late.

He’s killing us both ways, killing more people and working the economy. It’s been said here before but personally I think he’s completely against any further economic bailout and knows if he locks down he’ll be expected to stump up. These halfway pseudo restrictions allow him to wiggle out of any meaningful cash support and go some way to keeping the freedom nuts in line, or at least that’s his thinking, reality of course everyone has had enough of his appalling leadership.

martinhutch

be interesting to see if / when the numbers gets worse nationally in Surrey he’ll actually do something.

FTFY

Jnr can’t believe they didn’t plan a two week circuit break around this October half term

Same here. Golden opportunity, the schools are already off. Squandered.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Every time this thread gets updates, I’m metaphorically filled with dread about what harm has he done to our country now… I was a bit young for the early Thatcher years and her battle with Scargill, but no other UK PM has made me cringe like this PMuppet.

MoreCashThanDash

I think he’s completely against any further economic bailout and knows if he locks down he’ll be expected to stump up.

Is it because the disaster capitalist Brexit backers will miss out of the economy is already tanked before we leave, I wonder?

I’ve said it here before, I wasn’t in a part of the country that suffered under Thatcher and despite my dad leaving the RAF in 1980, he cracked on and built a new and successful life for us under her rule. From where I was stood at the time – and to a degree, even now – she chose not to support old traditional industries that had been running down and closing for 20 years before she came to power. Obviously I now understand the wider social impacts of her policies, especially living in a former mining and steel town. But the sheer recklessness and incompetence of Boris’s government seems to me way beyond what she did. Possibly because I’m closer to it now.

binners

Say what you like about Thatcha (and as a northerner who left school into her economic and social scorched earth in 86, I absolutely despise her!), at least you knew what you were getting.

There was never any pretence that she remotely cared what happened to us. She, and those around her, wore their casual, callous cruelty like a badge of honour. Their contempt for us was open.

And, of course, she was terrifyingly competent in achieving her aims. She told you exactly what she was going to do, then she did it.

This lot are scheming, dishonest, corrupt and duplicitous. And utterly incompetent. They deal only in lies and disinformation. They say one thing, then do the opposite.

They were elected (Helped out by a completely useless opposition) by getting enough people in the north to believe the frankly laughable conceit of ‘levelling up’. That they actually cared what happened to the people of Barnsley and Sunderland. That freed from the EU the money trees would be rattled to help the ‘left behind’.

The way we’ve been treated since – ending lockdown too early just to suit the South East, putting most of the north back into lockdown 3 weeks later, then promptly forgetting about us, has exposed that whopper.

The stand off with Andy Burnham and the loose change they’ve tossed in our direction since just confirms it.

Then there’s Brexit, and the decimation that will deliver to the areas in the north that will be, surprise surprise, hardest hit.

These lot are far, far worse than Thatcher. And, tragically, their toxic legacy will be even more destructive

falkirk-mark

Completely agree regards Thatcher (she was widely hated in the north) but she was at least honest and done what she said she would. This lot are the worst of both worlds kidding on they are your pal whilst stabbing you in the back (TBH anyone with a bit going on between their ears didn’t fall for it).

stumpyjon

by getting enough people in the north to believe the frankly laughable conceit of ‘levelling up’.

No they didnt, they played to xenophobic and racist tendencies of many northern Labour voters, it was that simple.

Thatcher believed what she’d was doing was right, she probably was broadly right, the old industries were dying and the unions were horrendous. Unfortunately she had no empathy and implemented the policies in the worst possible way. Selling off council houses being a great example. Brilliant policy if done right, people who had initially needed help could buy their family home with consideration to the fact they had already paid something, reinvest themoney directly into new social housing, if done right it allowed the social housing stock to grow and move as the need changed in different areas, she failed spectacularly by forbidding the councils from reinvesting the money.

Sandwich

Thatcher believed what she’d was doing was right, she probably was broadly right, the old industries were dying, the management and the unions were horrendous.

FTFY it takes two to make a crisis. Failing to address the management class’ failings are why we are where we are now. Leaders need to consider all sides of the problem and then navigate a path that benefits all. This has been lacking since the 60’s.

dannyh
    Free Member

No they didnt, they played to xenophobic and racist tendencies of many northern Labour voters, it was that simple.

Nail on head.

mariner
    Free Member

Thatcher also wasted the North Sea Oil revenues by giving it away as tax breaks rather than investing it for/in the country.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thatcher also wasted the North Sea Oil revenues by giving it away as tax breaks rather than investing it for/in the country.

This is true. She was doubly lucky. The main spoils of North Sea oil and gas fell in her lap and a tinpot dictator decided to make his name by grabbing back the Falklands.

The economic stuff was a travesty. The roots of the current housing crisis lay in Right To Buy and pissing away North Sea oil/gas revenues was unforgivable. Again, short term economic appearances were deemed politically expedient ahead of investing in ‘society’ – something Thatcher didn’t believe existed.

dissonance

tinpot dictator decided to make his name by grabbing back the Falkland

Which, incidentally, was in large part down to her cutting of the military to the bare bones.
    The Argentinians have been negotiating/threatening around the Falklands for several years and saw their chance when she cut back the military in that area of the world.
    If they had waited another year they would have got away with it since key ships would have gone.

intheborders
    Free Member

But the sheer recklessness and incompetence of Boris’s government seems to me way beyond what she did. Possibly because I’m closer to it now.

Most folk only react to a fire as it begins to singe them…

Selling off council houses being a great example. Brilliant policy if done right, people who had initially needed help could buy their family home with consideration to the fact they had already paid something, reinvest themoney directly into new social housing, if done right it allowed the social housing stock to grow and move as the need changed in different areas, she failed spectacularly by forbidding the councils from reinvesting the money

Disagree, mostly.

Were you aware that before that policy folk could always buy their council house (at the market rate) and the only real change was to give them a discount? Gerrymandering. No more, no less and paid for by me, you and all future citizens.

Klunk
    Free Member

stolen from the comments on the latest Steve Bell….

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old Durham
    Farmer, whose hand was caught in a gate while working
    cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old
    man. Eventually the topic got around to politics and politicians.
    The old rancher said, “Well, ya know, Johnson is a
    “post turtle”.
    Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what
    a “post turtle” was. The old rancher said,
    “When you’re driving down a country road and you
    come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top,
    that’s a “post turtle”.
    The old Farmer saw a puzzled look on the doctor’s
    face, so he continued to explain. You know he didn’t get
    up there by himself, he doesn’t belong up there, he
    doesn’t know what to do while he is up there, and you
    just wonder what kind of a dumb bastard put him up there in the
    first place.

binners

After his correct appraisal of Brexit and David Cameron a couple of years ago, our nations sage has once again articulated the thoughts of a nation about our glorious leader and his ilk

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe people will actually listen to and believe a character from their favourite TV programme.

johnx2
    Free Member

Marina Hyde again. Worth it for the pics of Hancock playing footie.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/27/government-free-school-meals-marcus-rashford-boris-johnson

At Rashford’s age – 22 – Johnson’s chief interest in food distribution was limited to which bread roll to chuck first at a pleading restaurant owner. As a member of a university dining club that routinely trashed eating establishments for the fun of it, Johnson was arrested along with other Bullingdon inadequates over the smashing of a restaurant window with a pot plant. You can only imagine the condemnation – probably at a ministerial level – that would these days be headed the way of football if a 22-year-old player was found to have done the same. And yet, this and many other incidents like it have proved absolutely no impediment to becoming prime minister.

binners

Loved the line:

Matt Hancock says he’s “inspired” by Marcus Rashford. Which is nice. I mean, Charles Manson was inspired by the Beatles.

Coyote
    Free Member

He’s undoubtedly correct in that the current government is drawn from a very narrow part of society.

somafunk

He’s undoubtedly correct in that the current government is drawn from a very narrow part of society.

They’re bred from an even narrower section of the gene pool as well,

Look at Jacob Rees Moog………

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Maybe people will actually listen to and believe a character from their favourite TV programme.

Are you referring to Boris on Have I Got News For You?

stumpyjon

Disagree, mostly.

Were you aware that before that policy folk could always buy their council house (at the market rate) and the only real change was to give them a discount?

So what do you disagree with? You think it was right to fail to re-invest the money made in new council housing. You think it was wrong to give people an incentive to buy their home? You think trapping people in permanent renting is a good idea, making them reliant on the state for the rest of their lives. You think it was right people who could afford to buy continue to live in subsidised accommodation whilst others were living in B & Bs.

It was a great policy appalling implemented, done right it would have allowed people to stay in their family homes, build up assets and generate income to build more, new housing which was desperately needed.

Coyote
    Free Member

It was a great policy appalling implemented, done right it would have allowed people to stay in their family homes, build up assets and generate income to build more, new housing which was desperately needed.

That pretty much sums it up. It would have allowed those that wanted to move on whilst protecting those that either didn’t want to or couldn’t. Building new stock would also provide modern efficient housing for future generations.

I can’t help but wonder how much of that ex-council house stock has fallen into the hands of private landlords.

dannyh
    Free Member

I can’t help but wonder how much of that ex-council house stock has fallen into the hands of private landlords.

I would wager ‘lots’.

But the market will decide, after all*

*Unless you can shock and/or rig said market with a bit of help from your mates….

binners

Just seen this little gem in the Independent from a new book about to be published.

A little snippet that sums Johnson up perfectly

Boris Johnson ‘hid’ from IDS, claims new book

Boris Johnson allegedly “hid in his bedroom” to avoid questions from Iain Duncan Smith about Brexit in the days before he became PM last year. Ex-Tory adviser Peter Cardwell made the claim in his new book The Secret Life of Special Advisers.

The book states: “With IDS en route, Boris quickly ordered his entire team to race up the stairs to the first floor of the house and, well, hide from their alleged campaign chairman as he rapped on the door of the building.

“Eventually, IDS gave up knocking on the door and ringing the bell, and the Johnson team gingerly made their way downstairs again to their makeshift offices to resume their work.”

dissonance

A little snippet that sums Johnson up perfectly

I am not one to normally give Johnson the benefit of the doubt but it was IDS. Wouldnt you be tempted to hide?

dissonance

Quite a lot. Despite the initial increase in homeownership that has dropped back down again.
    Which gives the double whammy downside. Not only did we give away houses cheap but now a decent amount of the money spent on benefits goes straight to the landlords who brought them up.

binners

Fair point.

I’d go to great lengths to avoid that sanctimonious windbag

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Boris Johnson allegedly “hid in his bedroom” to avoid questions from Iain Duncan Smith about Brexit in the days before he became PM last year.

Probably a fair bit comfier than a fridge.

Might have brandy stashed there.

dannyh
    Free Member

Might have brandy stashed there.

Yeah, but where did he hide Jennifer Arcuri when he was hiding his staff in the bedroom? Wardrobe?

Government as Benny Hill Show – how very apt, especially given what a shit Hill was (and was only revealed years later).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yeah, but where did he hide Jennifer Arcuri when he was hiding his staff in the bedroom? Wardrobe?

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about ‘hiding your staff’ and his technology lessons teacher.

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone watch Have I Got News For You last night? While Baroness Warzi was having a dig at her former employer, Hislop came out and asked her if it was true that Johnson has a drink problem.

Coming from him, I’m taking that as a guarantee that it’s true

Viewing 40 posts - 3,081 through 3,120 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.